C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 death in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The woman won't be charged with anything beyond a traffic infraction. Thing aren't always black and white and there isn't always a villain when an accident occurs.
I disagree. With over 37 years of law enforcement and district court experience, this woman crossed the center line and caused the death of another. I believe the PD and Prosecutor's Office will pursue some type of negligent homicide, not a traffic violation.That could take days, weeks, to months. We will have to wait for the investigation to be completed before we will know what actual charges will be filed. There maybe mitigating circumstances that a defense attorney may find to reduce a final ruling.
Rick
Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ricks327
I disagree. With over 37 years of law enforcement and district court experience, this woman crossed the center line and caused the death of another. I believe the PD and Prosecutor's Office will pursue some type of negligent homicide, not a traffic violation.That could take days, weeks, to months. We will have to wait for the investigation to be completed before we will know what actual charges will be filed. There maybe mitigating circumstances that a defense attorney may find to reduce a final ruling.
Rick
I was a Senior Executive at the Department of Justice....so what ?
We'll have to wait and see...
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 PM
ricks327
Race Director

What makes you think only a traffic citation?
Here is the Michigan penal code:

750.324 Negligent homicide; penalty.

Sec. 324.
Any person who, by the operation of any vehicle upon any highway or upon any other property, public or private, at an immoderate rate of speed or in a careless, reckless or negligent manner, but not wilfully or wantonly, shall cause the death of another, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

I handled several of these type of cases as a LEO and sat through several trials while employed at the court and found that the defense had a very tough road to travel. Most of the time the defense attorney worked real hard on a plea deal.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Not to belabor the point, but between a motorcycle accident and an old car accident, I do feel basic physics implies to me anyway that is rather be struck by a 4,000 lb car in an old 3,200 lb car than on a 600 lb motorcycle.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The female driver illegally crossed the median and recklessly caused the death of the male driver who was driving within his lane. I sway recklessly because the female driver, after the accident, declined medical attention, so she was aware and conscious of her actions.

Blaming the deceased male driver for the reckless and conscious actions of the female driver who illegally crossed into his lane is exactly what you already know it is (ends in "roll").

Claiming no charges will be filed ignores the conscious and reckless circumstances directly cause the death.

We'll see whether the D.A. does their job or decides to look the other way.

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 04-21-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast

Claiming no charges will be filed ignores the conscious and reckless circumstances directly cause the death.

We'll see whether the D.A. does their job or decides to look the other way.
If the D.A./Prosecutor's Office doesn't file charges, he/she should be voted out of office. Legally driving on a roadway and be struck by someone who crossed a median is a criminal offense, not a traffic offense when you lose your life.
Rick
Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default yeh...watch out for those old 69 years olds......

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
She was 69 years old...could have just been dementia or confusion.
Cell phone, putting on makeup, suicide are long, long shots.

I guess some here have never dealt much with elderly parents on the edge of not being competent to drive. It sad and we'll all get there someday.

The woman won't be charged with anything beyond a traffic infraction. Thing aren't always black and white and there isn't always a villain when an accident occurs.

Sad, but.....

Guys, a lot of us are almost 69-70....just put on your belt and watch out...I tend to drive faster than the other old people on the road...lol

jack
Old 04-21-2015, 10:36 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Alzheimer's generally starts in the early 60's but it does not happen suddenly. Someone doesn't have instant symptoms and loses control of their car. If this woman had AD, the symptoms were evident to family and friends long before this accident but possibly ignored or overlooked.
Whatever the reasons for her actions, it is a sad for the deceased and her.
Rick
Old 04-21-2015, 10:44 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

the guy was a pilot for donald Trump . Must have caught him off guard cause when we fly we are always watching for things that will take you out .
Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The man killed served in the 101st Combat Aviation Brigade. Later a pilot for Trump Aviation. Reports are the deceased was ejected, so possibly not wearing a seat belt.

Also, the woman in the Lexus, if this is the same one, seems to be a well-known real estate agent in the area. http://elainemoran.featuredwebsite.c...o_cur_size.jpg

I'm guessing this does not get more than a failure to keep right ticket but hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

My first thought was steering column impalement, but no.

But a professional pilot who doesn't buckle up?

OTOH, land-bound vehicles that only attain double-digit speeds might seem like a walk in the park to an airman. Remember the off-duty Florida auto stunts of the Mercury astronauts (except John Glenn)?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What do real estate agents do all day long in their car? They're always on the phone or computer talking to clients, or looking for street numbers and listings.
You cross the median line, sorry, you're in the wrong. AND, you caused a death. PERIOD! It could have been any one of us.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:41 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
Interesting and relevant video:

Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary - YouTube

It's a matter of statistics. You cannot make decisions about safety based on personal experience.. or even based on your friends and family experiences. You need data from millions of accidents. I am no lover of government intervention either.. but do you really think modern cars would be as safe as they are now without rising government safety standards over the decades?
The only problem with your video from what I have been told is that the 59 Chevy didn't have an engine in it, hence nothing to stop the 09 from driving right through it.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Randy G.
The only problem with your video from what I have been told is that the 59 Chevy didn't have an engine in it, hence nothing to stop the 09 from driving right through it.
It not "my video", but your statement here is one of those persistent internet rumors:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...ir-crash-test/
Old 04-22-2015, 12:31 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
It not "my video", but your statement here is one of those persistent internet rumors:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...ir-crash-test/
There's a difference between rumor and observation.

Go to time 0:57 to 0:58 showing the impact from the passenger side (Bel Air) when the hood pops up and the front is crushed. Rewind, replay. Even before that, the dash, from the inside, bends upward in deformation, but the steering wheel does not crush the crash dummy.

Mr. Zuby said they didn't want to sacrifice a museum piece or show car, so they bought one which had a 6 cylinder engine when they purchased it. It said nothing about whether the engine remained in the car when they crash tested it. Watch the video.

edit to add photos:

Where's the engine?

photo from http://www.iihs.org/media/713f4cee-6...ompartment.jpg

So what REALLY happens when you crash test an older car with a newer car without removing the engine from the older car?

Stuntbusters: Head-On Collision (1962 Cadillac vs. 2002 Cadillac)

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 04-22-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:59 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have no special insight into this test.

I myself ASSUME that since the reporter was trying to confirm or deny a conspiracy theory, it would be been clearly pointed out, since confirming a conspiracy is always much bigger news than denying one.

IMO, the photos and stills are not enough evidence to say the motor was not present. The under-hood space is HUGE, and the smaller 6-cylinder would have lots of room to swim around.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:09 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
What do real estate agents do all day long in their car? They're always on the phone or computer talking to clients, or looking for street numbers and listings.
You cross the median line, sorry, you're in the wrong. AND, you caused a death. PERIOD! It could have been any one of us.
100%.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 death in NJ

Old 04-22-2015, 03:26 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Looks like it's been on display a few times. Guess they could have put the engine back in before that but would have been a job.

My take is with the offset collision the Malibu would have slid down the side of the engine --------straight 6 being relatively narrow.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
What makes you think only a traffic citation?
Here is the Michigan penal code:

750.324 Negligent homicide; penalty.

Sec. 324.
Any person who, by the operation of any vehicle upon any highway or upon any other property, public or private, at an immoderate rate of speed or in a careless, reckless or negligent manner, but not wilfully or wantonly, shall cause the death of another, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

I handled several of these type of cases as a LEO and sat through several trials while employed at the court and found that the defense had a very tough road to travel. Most of the time the defense attorney worked real hard on a plea deal.
Came up a little short on this one, eh counselor?

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvall...d-trumps-pilot
Old 01-27-2016, 04:23 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,426 Likes on 735 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

it is very rare someone gets convicted - unless there are outside influences, ie...drugs, alcohol, etc....
In 18 years we do see that many...

Quick Reply: C1 death in NJ