C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 SW Complete Chassis/Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 AM
Canuck62
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 63 SW Complete Chassis/Drivetrain

Read this ad today and thought somebody here might be interested while the car is still in Florida

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ain/1064264275

Last edited by Canuck62; 04-20-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Another original car lost...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a year or less it will be worth twice its current value. I don't see 15k in parts.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

So what happens to the serial number for this car? Do sellers grind the number off the frame so that it can't come back under its original serial number?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,327 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Another original car lost...

Cant these guys just buy a tube frame and a repro body instead of continuing to ruin real cars?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember styles and fads change. My bottom line: KEEP IT STOCK!
If you must do some modifications, keep all your original parts.

Last edited by wonderful; 04-20-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:07 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

Cant these guys just buy a tube frame and a repro body instead of continuing to ruin real cars?
X2 --- Been looking high and low for a nice original split----hate to see one less survive.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The guys buying these $150K+ restomods are nouveau riche investment bankers, real estate developers, etc.. They don't care about the hobby, what you or I think or preserving the history of these cars. They just want to look cool, have a toy and brag to some 'suck up' that they have "this or that" car.

Most have never had a spec of dirt under their fingernails. Just the way things are going I'm afraid.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:53 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

It's just a car. It's value is only what someone is willing t pay for it.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Of course it is, and the Mona Lisa is just a painting....and the TaJ Mahal is just a building....yada, yada. If you apply that logic then nothing has value beyond the cost of its intrinsic components....and the labor to put them together.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:28 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

The guys buying these $150K+ restomods are nouveau riche investment bankers, real estate developers, etc.. They don't care about the hobby, what you or I think or preserving the history of these cars. They just want to look cool, have a toy and brag to some 'suck up' that they have "this or that" car.

Most have never had a spec of dirt under their fingernails. Just the way things are going I'm afraid.
Back in the day cars that are called "restomods" today were called "customs". The latest motors,wheels,suspension pieces, and coolest paint were used at the time. Some sold for large money at the time. Today most of those cars have very low value compared to an original car. History is a predictor of the future.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Let them cut them up. The more that get cut, the more the original cars will be worth! (Some day) because lets face it, a well done 63 split window cp on a high dollar roadster shop frame and a custom independent rear and a LS engine brings over $250,000. A very nice original built 63 cp. is about $100,000 unless it is a 340,360 or Z06. But it my turn around again who knows? And when it does we who kept them stock will win or turn ours into the latest fad, Electric? Anybody have a trashed chevy Volt for sale?

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 04-20-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:04 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
Back i. Today most of those cars have very low value compared to an original car. History is a predictor of the future.
Where have you been ? Try checking with BJ, Russo & Steele, and Mecum.
Restomods consistantly bring more money than original models. Why do you think so many are being built ? Fuel cars are being parted out which was unheard of ten years ago. Very few originals are going for 125 to 150 which is the norm for restomods. The value is in the body, title, and tags. Everything elso goes to the resale parts ads. Matching numbered engines is almost a mute point. Besides a good engine stamper can make it look so factory experts can't agree.
There is no ego involved with these builders...... just the lust for profit and getting the next one ready for sale. I like originals, and love their creations.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Anyone still play "PONG" on their television set? Things change and improve. People talking about the great value of original cars still put after market air conditioning into them and radial tires on them.

If you are talking a Duesenburg J model with a one of a kind coach body on it you are talking rare and valuable. When you are talking a mass production car from General Motors be happy someone is interested in the appearance and assigns a value to it.

I enjoy seeing factory original examples of the cars and would not personally take an original car as a candidate for a restomod. When the original running gear is gone I consider it a great improvement to restomod the car rather than to make it a "correct" (who decides what is correct?) car.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 PM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Anyone still play "PONG" on their television set? Things change and improve. People talking about the great value of original cars still put after market air conditioning into them and radial tires on them.

If you are talking a Duesenburg J model with a one of a kind coach body on it you are talking rare and valuable. When you are talking a mass production car from General Motors be happy someone is interested in the appearance and assigns a value to it.

I enjoy seeing factory original examples of the cars and would not personally take an original car as a candidate for a restomod. When the original running gear is gone I consider it a great improvement to restomod the car rather than to make it a "correct" (who decides what is correct?) car.

This car I bought last Sept will be a custom/restomod since there was absolutely no way to make it close to original without any drivetrain, dash, etc. It will be SPECVETTE #002 completed next Spring and delivered at the National Corvette Museum. Customs aren't for everyone but at the end of the day a '63 is being saved.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

No problem whatsoever with a basket case being restomodded. I still hate to see a complete, original car torn asunder to be reborn as some fat cat's weenie-extending plaything...
Old 04-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

No problem whatsoever with a basket case being restomodded. I still hate to see a complete, original car torn asunder to be reborn as some fat cat's weenie-extending plaything...
Original cars aren't some fat cat's weenie-extending playthings? At $100k, these aren't exactly available to blue collar types.

I can see both sides of the coin. Whatever floats your boat.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 SW Complete Chassis/Drivetrain

Old 04-21-2015, 01:12 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,327 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Original cars aren't some fat cat's weenie-extending playthings? At $100k, these aren't exactly available to blue collar types.

I couldnt care less about weenies and dollars, I'm talking about a limited amount of cars that were originally made and there's few of them left. If someone likes restomods, hey man whatever floats your boat. But the very nature of a restomod is that its a custom... meaning there is no good reason... none... to ruin yet one more original car to make one.

Someone could buy a '64 coupe for half the money, add a split and a full restomod suspension/engine/interior treatment and have the same car. Or any number of nonstock cars. But buying a perfectly good original drivetrain split window and killing it just makes zero sense to me. There's way too many avenues to get that same restomod you want without doing that.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Zoomin

Hardly, lots of these rich guys with the soft hands and $10K watches on their wrist aren't happy driving a rumbling old carbureated car with funky brakes, steering and handling....with no power anything, no A/C or decent radio in many cases. Hard to drive a 4-speed with a cell phone in one hand making a big money deal or talking to your mistress. Lots of people on here with $100K cars BTW and I don't think many are 1%'ers; many are blue collar I'd bet.

Vettebuyer and I are on the same page though. These car buyers don't care a whit about reducing the base of original cars. I should just shut up though....as that base diminishes my cars will be worth more.

I park beside 3 restmods nearly every weekend and have no problem with them. Those guys aren't your typical super-rich buyers. Two of the guys are restorers and one is a grocery chain regional director....the cars IIRC were all project cars to start with.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-21-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I couldnt care less about weenies and dollars, I'm talking about a limited amount of cars that were originally made and there's few of them left. If someone likes restomods, hey man whatever floats your boat. But the very nature of a restomod is that its a custom... meaning there is no good reason... none... to ruin yet one more original car to make one.

Someone could buy a '64 coupe for half the money, add a split and a full restomod suspension/engine/interior treatment and have the same car. Or any number of nonstock cars. But buying a perfectly good original drivetrain split window and killing it just makes zero sense to me. There's way too many avenues to get that same restomod you want without doing that.
I think you are just putting way more into this 63 split window special car thing than is really there. They were a mass produced car. If you feel you need to save a few for future generations then by all means, go for it! How many original Model T's out there that we even give a second look to?

Quick Reply: 63 SW Complete Chassis/Drivetrain