C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to test new brake system before body mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 PM
bob-vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to test new brake system before body mount

I am completing my 1964 chassis frame off and installed all new brake lines. Is there a way to pressure test the system before the body is installed? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bob-vette
I am completing my 1964 chassis frame off and installed all new brake lines. Is there a way to pressure test the system before the body is installed? Thanks.
I'm not sure it makes sense to test it without the master cyl installed.

Also not sure how you'd pump it up without the brake pedal. Although there may be some special equipment for this IDK...

It's not hard to tighten up brake fittings with the body on. I've had some minor leaks in my new system (found during a 100 mile cruise!) but it just needed tightening at the calipers.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 AM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

The brake system generates over 1000psi, I don't think there really is a way to replicate that to test it. If a connection does leak, usually all you have to do is loosen it a bit & re-tighten it so it seats, and all of the fittings & connections are pretty easy to get at even with the car fully assembled.To be honest, I think you are over-thinking it... just put it back together!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM
bob-vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snakeplisken
i'm not sure it makes sense to test it without the master cyl installed.

Also not sure how you'd pump it up without the brake pedal. Although there may be some special equipment for this idk...

It's not hard to tighten up brake fittings with the body on. I've had some minor leaks in my new system (found during a 100 mile cruise!) but it just needed tightening at the calipers.
thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 10:29 PM
bob-vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BD104X
The brake system generates over 1000psi, I don't think there really is a way to replicate that to test it. If a connection does leak, usually all you have to do is loosen it a bit & re-tighten it so it seats, and all of the fittings & connections are pretty easy to get at even with the car fully assembled.To be honest, I think you are over-thinking it... just put it back together!
THANKS, I agree....

Get notified of new replies

To How to test new brake system before body mount

Quick Reply: How to test new brake system before body mount