C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedometer freezes during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:44 AM
phredr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speedometer freezes during acceleration

On my '62, I had my inaccurate speedo bench tested by Powl's Service in Lancaster, PA. My original cable was used in the test. After they cleaned up the unit, it had satisfactory accuracy (1-2% error) However, the instrument exhibited a quirk after re-installed. The needle "freezes" during acceleration periods and does not recover to higher speed indication until acceleration ends and speed levels off (there is a gentle overshoot till it settles in). Should I rule out the instrument and cable and look at the possiblility of the color-coded plastic tranny drive gear having worn teeth? Just asking first because the gear is a real pain to remove without a lift, proper tools and arthritis in my thumb joints!

Last edited by phredr; 04-21-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That sounds like the cable binding in the housing when things are spinning fast; then the cable frees up and overdrives the gauge momentarily. I think you need a good lube job.

An "out of the car" test of the cable means little...it doesn't replicate the contortions that the actual cable is put through when mounted in the car.

Quick Reply: Speedometer freezes during acceleration