C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Default C1 Transmission mount

Does anybody know what the difference between a 3 speed and a 4 speed trans mount strap?

I am restoring a 57 right now, and the trans seems to be sitting high at the rear mount. The car has a 4 speed in it, bu the car is too early to have been built with a 4 speed. I am thinking that maybe the 3 speed mounting strap is taller than the 4 speed mounting strap, and that maybe they did not replace the strap when they installed the 4 speed.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I'm not aware of any kind of strap that is used to mount the transmission in a 53-62 Corvette.
There should be a cross member attached to the X-member with 4 bolts.
There is a rubber mount inside a mount bracket which attaches to the cross member with 4 smaller bolts.
The 53-61 cars had another bracket attached to the rubber mount and to the mount pad on the bottom of the transmission tail housing with 2 bolts.

For 1962 ONLY, the 4sp mounting was slightly different.
There was a plate with 4 holes which attached tot he mount pad on the bottom of the tail housing and then to the rubber mount.
This is how the 62 transmission mount is assembled.

The 53-61 cars have the mount pad further back on the tail housing, thus, they use a different plate for attaching the tail housing to the rubber mount.

This tail housing has 2 mount pads, one (short) for the 57-61 style mounting, and one for 62-later mounting.

I can't find a picture of the plate for the 57-61 style 4sp mount.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

John, if you are talking about the transmission MOUNT possibly, the 3 spd is a bit taller than the 4 spd. Otherwise, as Tom said, I am not aware of any "strap" that was ever factory installed. Pilot Dan
Old 04-26-2015, 06:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Possibly John means the 3722948 "bracket" with a double-bend on each end between the trans extension housing and the rubber-cushioned enclosed "puck" mounts on the crossmember...
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2015, 06:53 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paragon list a #831 for a 3 spd and #525 for a 4 spd. The 3 spd bracket looks like it is taller than the 4 spd bracket
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Possibly John means the 3722948 "bracket" with a double-bend on each end between the trans extension housing and the rubber-cushioned enclosed "puck" mounts on the crossmember...
John,

You are absolutely correct! The catalogs have a different number for each application, but I do not know if it hole location or height of the bracket. My tail shaft seems to be sitting too high, and I was just wondering if the 3 speed bracket was taller, maybe the previous owner reused the 3 speed bracket rather than buying a new bracket. If nobody has a definitive answer, I will probably just buy a 4 speed bracket and return it, if it is the same height as the one I have.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 56Heap
Paragon list a #831 for a 3 spd and #525 for a 4 spd. The 3 spd bracket looks like it is taller than the 4 spd bracket
Rob,

That is what it looked like to me as well, but I was just hoping somebody knew for sure.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You know, you can call them up and ask them to measure the part for you.

You do remember what a phone is, no? (sorry, seems people are so addicted to their internet, everybody wants to do stuff online rather than talk to a person)

I have done this before and vendors in general will take the time to make sure the part you get is what you want, rather than hassle with shipping out something and then having to restock it.

Doug

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I will probably just buy a 4 speed bracket and return it, if it is the same height as the one I have.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AZDoug

You do remember what a phone is, no? (sorry, seems people are so addicted to their internet, everybody wants to do stuff online rather than talk to a person)

I have done this before and vendors in general will take the time to make sure the part you get is what you want, rather than hassle with shipping out something and then having to restock it.

Doug
I MUCH PREFER talking on the phone because I feel I get a more complete answer and information to my question. Besides, we have 21 phones throughout our house and MOST of them are OLD and have a rotary dial (I have a granddaughter who will not use a rotary dial phone because she doesn't know how to dial on one!!!).
Another grandson never saw a phone with a wire coming out of it.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZDoug

Doug
Well, it was a weekend, and I figured that maybe someone on this forum would be knowledgeable about the bracket differences. I guess I was wrong!

I will go by my friends house and measure his original 4 speed bracket and that will tell me what I need to know. Sorry to bother everyone with my silly-assed question. I thought that this was one of the main functions of the forum!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Well, it was a weekend, and I figured that maybe someone on this forum would be knowledgeable about the bracket differences. I guess I was wrong!
John, I restored my 57's back in the early 90's - both were original 4-speed cars and I never had to dope out the trans mounts, so I couldn't offer anything about any differences between the 3-speed and 4-speed brackets.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnZ
John, I restored my 57's back in the early 90's - both were original 4-speed cars and I never had to dope out the trans mounts, so I couldn't offer anything about any differences between the 3-speed and 4-speed brackets.
John,

I went over to a buddies house this evening and measured an original 4 speed bracket, and my suspicions were confirmed. The bracket was much taller, so it must have been the original 3 speed bracket. Ordered a new bracket. Thanks.

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Transmission mount

Quick Reply: C1 Transmission mount