C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Are C1 and C2 prices softening?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:14 PM
jerrykdc
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Are C1 and C2 prices softening?

I was looking into buying a Midyear and it seems that real prices are softening. The Mecum sale this weekend had a number of C1s and C2s and most of them didn't sell. That seemed to be the case at other auctions as well. Is there a trend toward prices coming down?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Eno

No!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:44 PM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I got the opposite impression watching the mecum sale this past week. Seemed like most of the C1 and C2's that crossed the block were average to below average drivers and where bid up to very high prices. Infact a car I used to own crossed the block and was shocked to see it bid up to $50,000 the consignor not pull the reserve and as it was being pushed off the block have John Kraman comment that it needed another $5000 to $10,000 to sell !!

Originally Posted by jerrykdc
I was looking into buying a Midyear and it seems that real prices are softening. The Mecum sale this weekend had a number of C1s and C2s and most of them didn't sell. That seemed to be the case at other auctions as well. Is there a trend toward prices coming down?
Old 04-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
But only if you intend to actually sell your stocker in a reasonable length of time.

However, if you like meeting new people and talking about your car, you can hold out for that one special snowflake who wants yours for a premium price. People do it with houses all the time. Some houses here have been for sale since the "Summer of Recovery".

Most restoration purists are now in their sixties or seventies. Younger Corvette owners want Resto-Thingo-Chango cars. Hot rodders just want cheap. There isn't a growing demand for stock old Corvettes regardless of price. That market is shrinking.
Wow - pretty cynical outlook for the guru of old Rochester fuel injections.

I think we have another few years before the sky falls, but I won't disagree that the general trend is prob heading towards the 'dark side'. The early vettes' styling is timeless, I think younger folks' objections will be to the underlying technology.

Soooo, if you have a decent C1/C2 and sell off the original drivetrain for $10k-$15k (maybe more) and pay for a top of the line restomod build (I certainly don't feel competent enough to do a world class job) then you are looking at about $80K in paint/drivetrain/chassis/etc. so you are $65K into a car, net.

Good restomods bring $125K-$150K...split windows are a huge premium on top of that.

So, there is your golden parachute....of course, if you can do the restomod conversion yourself you're in even better shape. One risk is that nobody might want your old drivetrain but hell you're still in the "black" on the whole deal; the other worse risk IMO is that the best restomod guys aren't kids either

I'm not talking ZZ-3/4 engine swaps with IFS front ends. I'm talking aftermarket frames with modern F/I LS-? motors and A/C and killer gauge sets and interiors. Mike Coletta / Mark Napoli level stuff....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-26-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:01 PM
jackal396
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Hopefully the prices go down.

jp
Old 04-26-2015, 03:39 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Resto-Thingo-Chango cars
Jerry,

That's a cheap shop, and an insult to what I do. I guess the prices on that stinky, leaky, antique gas pumping mechanical stuff is slowing down, so you need to resort to insults. My mother always told me that "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". You could have commented on the OP's post without that remark (which, by the way, you have used in the past).

On the OP's post, the price of restomods (resto-thingo-chango cars), is going up, and holding. Everything else is going down, or staying flat. The buyers are changing, just like they have for the past 100 years. Inflation will correct for some of it, but the rest boils down to supply and demand. 16 years ago, I built my first "restomod"...........I'm NEVER going back. Life is too short. BTW, Jerry, I'm 65, and I'm glad that you put me in the "younger crowd". LOL.

Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 04-26-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:19 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Jerry,

That's a cheap shop, and an insult to what I do. I guess the prices on that stinky, leaky, antique gas pumping mechanical stuff is slowing down, so you need to resort to insults. My mother always told me that "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". You could have commented on the OP's post without that remark (which, by the way, you have used in the past).

On the OP's post, the price of restomods (resto-thingo-chango cars), is going up, and holding. Everything else is going down, or staying flat. The buyers are changing, just like they have for the past 100 years. Inflation will correct for some of it, but the rest boils down to supply and demand. 16 years ago, I built my first "restomod"...........I'm NEVER going back. Life is too short. BTW, Jerry, I'm 65, and I'm glad that you put me in the "younger crowd". LOL.

Mike Coletta
Mike i have to agree with you.100 percent.BAREET JACKSON AT PALM BEACH SOLD A 62 RESTOMOD FOR $194 GRAND for that auction that was a very good price.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM
davidarborg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dollar is pretty strong these days, that might explain minor shifts in demand.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:18 PM
jerrykdc
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts

I always looked at C1s as beautiful looking cars but I never really liked driving one even when I was much younger. C2s are also beautiful to me and comfortable and fun to drive without being very complicated or expensive to maintain. I wonder if the suspicions about the authenticity of the cars is affecting the values and would they be better if they had records like Pontiac or Ford or someone to authenticate the cars like they do with Mopars.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I didnt buy my midyear almost six years ago now as a financial investment, so I dont give a damn about current or future prices.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dahogan
I didnt buy my midyear almost six years ago now as a financial investment, so I dont give a damn about current or future prices.

I'll let my heirs worry a bout the prices.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My 35 year old daughter has threatened patricide if I ever sell the split window...
Old 04-26-2015, 07:42 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by After38Years

I'll let my heirs worry a bout the prices.
Bingo
Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I hope Jerry is right. I have my eye on a restored original fuel injection unit with a distributor for my '62 for $10 grand. When he lowers the price to $500 because nobody wants it I'll buy it.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with Mike and Frank - pricing for the RestoMods are holding strong if not rising and for good reason. The combination of modern technology with classic styling (if executed well) is the best of both worlds - I should know - still smiling when I take my 64 resto-thingo out for a cruise !!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:28 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Hope it goes soft-I'd still love a '59, and softer price will put me in the market.

Never selling the '62-way too much fun!

Mike
Old 04-26-2015, 08:37 PM
c2performance
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Default c1 - c2 prices

Restomods just a fad real cars will always bring real money!!

Get notified of new replies

To Are C1 and C2 prices softening?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

A lot of personal opinions weigh in on this subject. To be absolutely correct from my point of view .... I would not pay the extra 20-30k for the " born with " drive train. When it comes on down to facts, you and your ego only care. Your friends, admirers see great paint, nice soft interior, and a dependable drive train. The NCRS inspectors are going by the " Maytag Repair Persons " scene and will be forgotten soon after the baby boomers close the door.
Restomod, ... don't own one, would love to. I'm into classic style and the reason I have four stock C-2s, coupes of course. The market for straight up old cars is falling and it doesn't take a scientist to see this happening. Sure there are high price hold outs and they will be for sale long into the future. The project cars are snapped up quickly. Most only care for the title. tags, and complete body. The hundred plus restomods are getting harder to market now that the big three offer so much horse power, modern conveniences, warranties, and classic styling.
What goes up certainly goes down. In the case of C-1s and 2s they have had their day in the sun and the sunset is on the horizon. Like stocks, the investment participants are looking once and throwing caution twice.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with Mike I built my first Restomod 5 years ago after doing over 15 correct body off restorations, getting ready to start ordering the parts for my next Restomod have sold all of my original cars but my 66 BB which is listed for sale now on this forum. I drive my all cars several times a week and there is nothing like the new technology. The prices on original cars are still holding their own but I think their days are numbered unless they are something special.
Mark
Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Mcmurb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davidarborg
The dollar is pretty strong these days, that might explain minor shifts in demand.
I think you're spot on! Collector cars are a global market and the dollar spike makes a US corvette much more expensive for a everyone but US buyers.

Quick Reply: Are C1 and C2 prices softening?