C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pertronix Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:19 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Pertronix Failure

Well, after 7 years of service, my Pertronix 3 module crapped out last night. I was returning from our cruise night and without warning, car died. Checked for gas - ok. No spark from coil, so I put in my "spare". Still no spark. After fumbling in the dark, I found set of points in my tool bag. Unfortunately, I had no screws to mount points to breaker plate, as they are different than Pertronix hardware. Gave up and got a tow home. Went out this morning, installed points with correct screws and fired on first crank!

My question: I have a MSD Blaster 2 coil in the car. If I run power through the ballast resistor, will I be ok with this coil? Car ran fine after I reset dwell and timing, I just don't want to fry anything if this coil is too much for stock setup. I know many on this forum swear by the electronics, but I am no longer a fan.

Thanks for any advice or help.

John
Old 04-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

From the MSD website:

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/..._Hardware.aspx

They indicate that a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor is needed. I don't have personal experience with this coil to know any different. Corvette original ballast were/are 0.3 ohm and 1.8 ohm.

Larry
Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Why not put in a replacement Pertronix. Surely the parts stores on the island have them readily available?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeM
Why not put in a replacement Pertronix. Surely the parts stores on the island have them readily available?
Right. Lucky if I can find correct spark plugs on this rock at times! Never had points leave me stranded before, so I'm going back to them. Car seems to run just as good either way.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I know the feeling - my 67 GTX crapped out on me on the way home from our cruise night a couple weeks ago. I had to sit in the dark for 1-1/2 hours with a hungry wife, waiting for the flatbed to show up.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The MSD coil should work fine with your points. Read the paragraphs at the bottom of this page:

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...rformance.aspx

Sorry your confidence in the Pertronix with a Hall cell is destroyed. You should quit driving your modern cars then; you have probably 4 or more in each of them.

I've used nothing else in my classic cars for 27+ years. One failure when I crossed wires on a very early Pertronix I that didn't have the protections of the later versions with the car sitting in my garage.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info, Frankie. I'm not sure of rating on my ballast resistor, but I've previously had 2 Flamethrower coils $hit on me, so I was hoping for no more failures!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettepoor
Thanks for the info, Frankie. I'm not sure of rating on my ballast resistor, but I've previously had 2 Flamethrower coils $hit on me, so I was hoping for no more failures!
If you don't know the resistance of your existing ballast resistor, then disconnect all of the BR leads and measure it with an ohmmeter or multimeter.

Larry
Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

OK. Tested with ohm meter and got a reading of 1.9, so does this mean I have ample protection? I will admit I'm no electrician so any help is greatly appreciated!

John
Old 04-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

To test a Flamethrower coil throw it as far as you can into a deep body of water; if it sinks its bad; if it floats its good.

You'll never have another failure with this simple test
Old 04-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Powershift
Race Director

OK. Tested with ohm meter and got a reading of 1.9, so does this mean I have ample protection? I will admit I'm no electrician so any help is greatly appreciated!

John
Since MSD says they recommend a 0.8 ohm and you have a 1.9 (probably 1.8) ohm resistor installed, it says the MSD Coil wants/needs more input voltage (and current) to do its intended job.

It will probably works just fine with what you have, but MSD would prefer that you install the correct ballast they designed for that coil.

Larry
Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Frankie,

In my experience, if it sinks, it's bad and if it floats it's bad too!

SD

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
To test a Flamethrower coil throw it as far as you can into a deep body of water; if it sinks its bad; if it floats its good.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

What does all the mean mouthin' of the coil have to do with the Pertronix crapping out? Will the Pertronix float?

I would change to Echlin points and coil and maybe look at it every ten years. Maybe.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The OP asked a coil question in the first post...
Ten years is too often, I NEVER look at my Pertronix(s).
Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 AM
XCSP700
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my 2 cents

I service and sell alot of ignition parts. It's been my experience that the ignitor 1 almost never goes bad. I don't see alot of bad pertronix units but when I do they are always 2s and 3's

I do see lots of bad sets of points. Not ones that won't make the car run, but ones that rapidly loose dwell at speed.

I would run at least the .8 ohm resistor with the blaster 2 coil

-Rich

Last edited by XCSP700; 04-27-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong and I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like you had an electronic module in the distributor, also running with your current 1.9 ohm ballast resistor.

Then you replaced the module unit with a points set up and still have the 1.9 ohm ballast resistor.

I was under the belief that if you are using an MSD (or any HEI) module, that you are not supposed to need/use a ballast resistor.

IF you do run with points then you should be using the 'correct' rated ballast resistor.

RK
Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, after 7 years of service, my Pertronix 3 module crapped out last night. I was returning from our cruise night and without warning, car died. Checked for gas - ok. No spark from coil, so I put in my "spare". Still no spark. After fumbling in the dark, I found set of points in my tool bag. Unfortunately, I had no screws to mount points to breaker plate, as they are different than Pertronix hardware. Gave up and got a tow home. Went out this morning, installed points with correct screws and fired on first crank!

My question: I have a MSD Blaster 2 coil in the car. If I run power through the ballast resistor, will I be ok with this coil? Car ran fine after I reset dwell and timing, I just don't want to fry anything if this coil is too much for stock setup. I know many on this forum swear by the electronics, but I am no longer a fan.

Thanks for any advice or help.

John
I am running the same coil on a 283 with a distributor utilizing points and condensor. Lars recommended the blaster 2 coil. Generally the pertronix people roll back around to points after a failure where they end up stranded. That is precisely why I don't use them anymore!

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix Failure

Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The MSD Blaster II #8202 coil will WORK FINE PEOPLE; with the stock ignition setup or the Pertronix with the ballast bypassed. That's why I like it.

But you'all keep analyzin' away......I'll be out driving...
Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing96
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong and I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like you had an electronic module in the distributor, also running with your current 1.9 ohm ballast resistor.

Then you replaced the module unit with a points set up and still have the 1.9 ohm ballast resistor.

I was under the belief that if you are using an MSD (or any HEI) module, that you are not supposed to need/use a ballast resistor.

IF you do run with points then you should be using the 'correct' rated ballast resistor.

RK
Pertronix may be installed with or without ballast resistor. Depends on the coil you install with it. Some require external ballast, and some don't.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Mine floats.

It's been in the car for years and works as intended. I made black, 8.5 mm custom fit wires which easily fit through the original looms and are all covered with the original shielding. The shielding covering the coil keeps it NICE and HOT.

I must have screwed up somewhere and wired everything properly!

Maybe the severe use that I subject the engine to is why the Flame Thrower coil never failed?

Quick Reply: Pertronix Failure