C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bent strut rods: what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Bent strut rods: what to do?

I am dismantling my 64 chassis to send parts for cleaning and painting.
Found out that one of the strut rods of the rear suspension is bent at the end that meets with the trailing arm assembly. I read that this was done sometimes to adjust alignment of the wheels, but that seems to me a very rude way of fixing things. I would assume using shims is the better method. So I plan to install new struts and bushings all over.

While doing so, is there and advantage installing adjustable rods as sold by some vendors rather than using the eccentric bolt system to adjust camber?
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I am dismantling my 64 chassis to send parts for cleaning and painting.
Found out that one of the strut rods of the rear suspension is bent at the end that meets with the trailing arm assembly. I read that this was done sometimes to adjust alignment of the wheels, but that seems to me a very rude way of fixing things. I would assume using shims is the better method. So I plan to install new struts and bushings all over.

While doing so, is there and advantage installing adjustable rods as sold by some vendors rather than using the eccentric bolt system to adjust camber?
The usual reason that they're bent is to correct excessive negative rear camber.

The excessive negative rear camber is caused by wear at the ends of the stub axles. As they wear, they move inward, often down to the retaining ring groove.

The cure for this problem is to replace the stub axles, restoring the original symmetry.

I would replace the strut rods in your picture with new ones.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the strut rods in my 68 were bent just like that and I was told exactly the same thing by a local Corvette restoration shop. While out for a drive one morning I hit a dip in the road and one of the cam adjustments came loose causing the wheel to tilt in on a very severe angle. I limped home and climbed under the car and found the problem. I ordered the adjustable strut rod kit with the ball ends from VB&P and installed them and had the rear aligned. The locking of the adjustment is far more secure with the adjustable rods compared to the eccentric cam and bolt system. In over 20 years my adjustable rods have never moved.

Don
Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi, don't get rods with poly bushings. Jacking up car by rods will bend also. I got new ones also

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 04-27-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I just added the adjustable strut rods with heim joints from Vette Brake Products to my father's 66. I noticed his rear wheels were tilted out at the bottom so I checked the camber and they were both set at -2.5 degrees. The bolts and washers were slipping, so I decided it best that he upgrade.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65silververt
I just added the adjustable strut rods with heim joints from Vette Brake Products to my father's 66. I noticed his rear wheels were tilted out at the bottom so I checked the camber and they were both set at -2.5 degrees. The bolts and washers were slipping, so I decided it best that he upgrade.

I like these rods, if I understand correctly there is no twisting problem because the ends are ball joints? If so, does it hurt on the noise side that the whole link from wheel to central frame support for the rods is now metal to metal (no rubber bushings..), or any other downsides?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:00 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If that was my car and I worried about bent strut bars, I'd take them off and put them in a press and straighten them. Put in new bushings if required.

You seem to worry a lot about stuff I don't so I'd recommend you spend the big bucks and buy the fanciest stuff you can find.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:07 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad to hear I am not the only one....

The inboard bushings were so bad on mine, the camber bolts were hard against the metal end of the rod.... can't imagine there was much of an alignment going on at all !

I just got new camber bolts and strut rods from Moog... these ones :

http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part...rtNumber=K6213
Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM

You seem to worry a lot about stuff I don't so I'd recommend you spend the big bucks and buy the fanciest stuff you can find.
I am an engineer, so 'worrying' is a second nature

I don't need nor want fancy stuff, still want to end up with a reliable car. The 'dial in' camber setting with the eccentric bolts does not inspire a lot of confidence but I may be wrong
Old 04-30-2015, 05:49 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Absolutely avoid any, and all, poly bushings.

Heim joints may be overkill but they work.

Actually you don't need all that adjustability for a street car. Factory parts work just fine - as long as you don't use poly bushings.

Richard Newton
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,524 Likes on 3,002 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Since converting to the Heim-jointed rods, have you driven the car? If so, what difference in ride harshness do you notice?
Old 04-30-2015, 08:08 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Since converting to the Heim-jointed rods, have you driven the car? If so, what difference in ride harshness do you notice?
None, not a bit. In fact on a ride last Sunday morning my wife commented on how nice the car rides.

Don
Old 04-30-2015, 11:00 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I like these rods, if I understand correctly there is no twisting problem because the ends are ball joints? If so, does it hurt on the noise side that the whole link from wheel to central frame support for the rods is now metal to metal (no rubber bushings..), or any other downsides?
Not that I have noticed, but I only drove it a short distance (3-5 miles) after the installation to make sure everything was safe and secure. I certainly did not feel any difference in the ride. This car has sidepipes, so if they made noise, i probably didn't and would not hear it.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:05 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rfn026
Absolutely avoid any, and all, poly bushings.

Heim joints may be overkill but they work.

Actually you don't need all that adjustability for a street car. Factory parts work just fine - as long as you don't use poly bushings.

Richard Newton

I bet that was noisy and made your cheeks squeeze tight!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I respect that some of our members think that strut rods are, or have been bent to reset rear camber. My own experience is that ALL dealers back in the 1960s and 70s used to jack up ALL Corvettes by using the rear strut bars as convenient jacking points....and I mean ALL or them!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I respect that some of our members think that strut rods are, or have been bent to reset rear camber. My own experience is that ALL dealers back in the 1960s and 70s used to jack up ALL Corvettes by using the rear strut bars as convenient jacking points....and I mean ALL or them!
Correct - the 2-post in-floor hydraulic lifts of the day had a yoke in the front to pick up under the front lower control arms (or under a solid axle), and had a similar yoke at the rear that cradled rear axle tubes. Bubba, who didn't know any better, lifted midyear Corvettes on that kind of lift, and the contact points of the rear yoke bent the strut rods.

Get notified of new replies

To Bent strut rods: what to do?

Quick Reply: Bent strut rods: what to do?