C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Back Glass, New Paint, Bubbles...A long story

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Default New Back Glass, New Paint, Bubbles...A long story

So, I purchased new tinted glass for my 65 coupe because I added Vintage Air and I liked the way it looked. Not long after the rear window was installed I started seeing bubbles in the paint. I really didn't know what to make of it. To be honest I thought the installer somehow got solvent in the glass. But, because the paint was lacquer, old and tired I decided to get the whole car repainted. The paint looked great. I even won "Best in Class" at the Cleveland Piston Power Show. But, then the bubbles came back. The body shop stripped the paint and dried the glass under heat lamps. Then, the day they were going to paint it the fiber glass was wet again. The body shop owner, who specializes in corvettes, said he had never seen anything like this.
After a lot of "troubleshooting" they finally found the problem. When the guy installed the glass he cleaned all the sealer out of the window channel. A couple of the trim clips were loose ( and now not sealed) so when I washed the car or got caught in the rain the space inside of the double panel filled up with water. It was so full of water that when heated by the sun it would actually pressurize causing it to back up and bubble the paint. They drilled a couple of small holes in the inner panel and had to use a small bucket to catch all the water. Amazing how high maintenance these cars are.
Just wanted to share with you guys.

Last edited by woodsdesign; 05-01-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

That's pretty wild. Sounds like your paint shop did right by you. Hope that takes care of the problem.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good story!

Bud
Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Now that is a new one on me for sure...
I've fought some paint issues due to contamination....it ain't no fun, it ain't cheap, and, you're never REALLY sure you have it fixed for good.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:03 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Now that is a new one on me for sure...
I've fought some paint issues due to contamination....it ain't no fun, it ain't cheap, and, you're never REALLY sure you have it fixed for good.
Yup, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. However, this guy is very good with the old corvettes.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:39 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Better (politely?) inform the glass guy of your experience. He might work on somebody else's old 'Vette some day, so pass it along.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Some of the push in clips around the car that you push into holes

I have always used some paintable caulk like the new windshield sealers. Anywhere water might enter, seal it up would be obvious. I am glad this topic came up!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:35 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sub006
Better (politely?) inform the glass guy of your experience. He might work on somebody else's old 'Vette some day, so pass it along.
Already done, He takes constructive criticism very well. He is an excellent installer.

Get notified of new replies

To New Back Glass, New Paint, Bubbles...A long story

Quick Reply: New Back Glass, New Paint, Bubbles...A long story