C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Coupe SRIII C6 Pro-Touring Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:36 PM
jkinton
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 65LS6C4
We also have a new set of C7 seats but I don't have pictures loaded yet. I have all of the motion controls operational and have managed to get the seat heater and ventilation units to function through switches and direct wiring, however my next major activity to attempt to send the CAN-BUS signals to the seats to control the temperature heating and cooling settings on the seat control modules. I am considering using the control buttons from a C class Mercedes which are individual switch units that interface with a CAN-BUS. I started with tearing down a dash module from a new C7, however the electronics on the board were interlaced with so many other functions, that it was not worth the time and effort to sufficiently isolate the circuitry on the board for reuse. To use the Mercedes switches I expect that I may need to utilize an arduino controller and write some CAN-BUS code to use as an intermediary interface. But first I am going to see if I get lucky and just wire the switch to the seat control units to determine if Mercedes switches can talk directly to chevy controllers...
I also have a set of C7 seats that I plan to put into my 65. I am able to get the motion controls to work. My next step was to work on getting the heat and vent controller figured out. Did you solve it?

Also, how are you mounting the seats? In my car, the stock position sits too high in front. Are you cutting down/ removing the feet on the seat frame and cutting a space in the floor for the motors?

Thanks!

John

Last edited by jkinton; 03-23-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:24 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
who makes those little motors?
Hi Herb,

TSINY is the name of the company for the small high torque motors.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Originally Posted by jkinton
I also have a set of C7 seats that I plan to put into my 65. I am able to get the motion controls to work. My next step was to work on getting the heat and vent controller figured out. Did you solve it?

Also, how are you mounting the seats? In my car, the stock position sits too high in front. Are you cutting down/ removing the feet on the seat frame and cutting a space in the floor for the motors?

Thanks!

John
Hi John,

I was able to make the seat heaters and cooling fans work by wiring to the connectors after the control unit. I bypassed only those wires, allowing all of the directional controls to still function via the control unit. I will focus on making them function via the controllers at some point in the future as I expect to have to build a circuit to inject control signals which will require me to write some custom code that I expect to be fairly complex and time consuming. In the mean time I just calculated the power requirements of the fans and heaters and created a simple circuit with a few resisters and diodes that allow the current draw to be stepped in three levels as a high, medium, and low switch.

Give me a week or so to get you a picture of the seat mounting. I forget what the measurements are as I just copied the way my C5 seats were modified a number of years back. But yes we cut off all of the brackets and made new ones. The floor did not require mods for the motors to function, however the C7 seats do not have a big range of mobility due to the transmission tunnel.

Also, I am 5-8 so I may not require as much head room as others. If you require, it is not a big job to lower the floor pans for the seats - the SRIII chassis has enough room to do so.

Also We built some additional brackets and added mounting points to secure the seats to the frame so they would hold in an accident.

My wife's sister is in Encinitas so I make it out there fairly often... drop my a PM with your area if you want to meet. I was just out there but should be out again in a few months.

Regards,
Dirk

Last edited by 65LS6C4; 03-27-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

SOME OF THE DESIGN
Tavis at HCR helped us with the designs and the paint scheme. He is a fantastic artist and designer and excellent to work with.

We are building to the Grey, Black and Yellow scheme.

Here are some that we worked through to make decisions.

The following users liked this post:
RJ1 (10-01-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Nice!
Old 10-01-2016, 01:53 AM
My addiction
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Gorgeous color combination with beautiful finishing touches! Simply put WOW!
Old 10-01-2016, 06:43 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Great color choices! Please keep the updates coming.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Very nice !
Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
FWIW . . . I rebuilt my vent windows 2 years ago (after having the frames re-chromed) with new seals. It took a full year before I could close the driver's side all the way with the crank, I still have to force the passenger side closed all the way by hand! Neat idea - I like your project!

Tom
Why didn’t you adapt a NuRelics vent window actuator for the Impala? Any reason?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:32 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 65LS6C4
Video of the Vent Motors

Here is a video of the Hyundai motor while testing its ability to open and close the vent window. The seals are new so I cannot yet obtain full closure of the window without forcing them closed by hand, which is still difficult. I hope they relax enough for the motor to fully close them, but I anticipate that I will need to modify the motor to add more torque.

http://vid1254.photobucket.com/album...psfkr2oifm.mp4
Video link is broke....can you post a new link?
Old 06-29-2018, 12:48 PM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It turned out very nice, good design, congratulations. I do have one question about hood hinges, did you make them or get them some where ? I'd like to do something like that on my 65 restomod so I could use a LS2 type air intake over the radiator. Hope you see this you can send me a message if you want, I just started checking the forum again. Thanks Tim
Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

I like the brake cooling ducts and the turn signals included. Not too busy, they look like they belong as they are part of the C2 DNA

Quick Reply: 65 Coupe SRIII C6 Pro-Touring Build