C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Add Electric fan with stock generator - OK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 PM
MBay61Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Add Electric fan with stock generator - OK?

Have a 61 stock Vette with newer alum. radiator and original generator. Will generator handle auxiliary pusher fan? Have appx. 14x18 inches of space to fill. Any recommendations?
Old 05-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've seen a '62 at a show with Vintage Air A/C and a pusher fan and stock generator. The owner told me it didn't cause him any problems when I asked him specifically. That's all I've heard - no first hand experience.

Tom Blount "Toms Silver 60" added Vintage Air A/C and a pusher fan (I think) in his '60; I don't know if he kept the generator as he has a NOM car. He may chime in.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:42 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by MBay61Vette
Have a 61 stock Vette with newer alum. radiator and original generator. Will generator handle auxiliary pusher fan? Have appx. 14x18 inches of space to fill. Any recommendations?
I'm sure I will get trumped here but I would do the math. Get the max output of the generator (amps). Then add up the amps of the lights, radio, anything you will have on with the fan. Then I would make sure that all is lower than about 60% of the max generators output.
Most total outputs have a duty cycle.

Dom
Old 05-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Typical C1 generators are rated around 35 amps.

I'm sure the math will tell you that, worst case, you are shy enough output. However, day-to-day running with all the electrical components operating no where near peak requirements things could be fine.

I run a 650W amp full time in my car with the stock generator...do that math and you'll find I have some amount over 1/2 the generator capacity required to run at peak power....and that's before I run the power windows up/down.

Get notified of new replies

To Add Electric fan with stock generator - OK?

Quick Reply: Add Electric fan with stock generator - OK?