C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Time to Renew Insurance - Reasonable Value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 AM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Time to Renew Insurance - Reasonable Value?

It's time to renew my insurance and I've gotten a lot more informed about the types of policies than when I first took out the policy a year ago. What's difficult is trying to figure out what my car is worth (I have no interest in selling it).

What would be a good approach to establish a value for insurance purposes?

It's a '66 L79 convert, both tops, fresh frame-off restoration (looks really good at any distance) While I'm not into NCRS judging, the car has been restored faithfully to as-new condition except for the clear coat. The drive train is original numbers matching. I'm the original owner. I have the original window sticker.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Well - you could use the Hagerty price guide as a starting point; some swear by it; other don't. But, since its "agreed value" set a price that its worth to YOU. Don't cheat yourself.

I had my split window insured for $78K and an insurance agent told me that was a bad idea -- so I upped it to $95K which put me into the "Large Collector" category and my premium actually DROPPED !
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

I went through my primary insurance carrier (Erie) who doesn't offer "classic car" insurance but they connected me with Infinity who wrote a replacement current stated amount policy for $65K for an annual fee of $231. Car was a ground up 10 yr restoration and now as good as it can be!

It is on a policy with three other "antique" cars, stored in secure location and I'm the primary driver with occasional usage.

hope this helps ya.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
I went through my primary insurance carrier (Erie) who doesn't offer "classic car" insurance but they connected me with Infinity who wrote a replacement current stated amount policy for $65K for an annual fee of $231. Car was a ground up 10 yr restoration and now as good as it can be!

It is on a policy with three other "antique" cars, stored in secure location and I'm the primary driver with occasional usage.

hope this helps ya.
You should drop that policy in the next 10 minutes and get an "agreed upon" value policy:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...PkxzZxZJQSAwk-
Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Another item to think about when purchasing collector car insurance.

Besides the obvious items such as, agreed value, acceptable drivers, type of usage etc., be sure you find out at what percentage of the agreed value the insurance company will determine a "total" loss.

Some companies will consider a total loss if an estimate comes up to, or close to 60% of the agreed value. Other's use 75% of the agreed value as a factor when determining it's a total loss.

So be sure you know that factor regardless of who you choose to go with.

Good luck,

Pat
Old 05-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by After38Years
It's time to renew my insurance and I've gotten a lot more informed about the types of policies than when I first took out the policy a year ago. What's difficult is trying to figure out what my car is worth (I have no interest in selling it).

It's a '66 L79 convert, both tops, fresh frame-off restoration (looks really good at any distance) While I'm not into NCRS judging, the car has been restored faithfully to as-new condition except for the clear coat. The drive train is original numbers matching. I'm the original owner. I have the original window sticker.
I would get an agreed value policy of around $80K. My 1967 car is probably not as nice as your restored car, although it is a 327/350 HP factory air convertible….. and it is insured at $70K at this time with Hagerty.

Simply go to the Hagerty site and use their valve guide to assess your car, and then use that number if it looks reasonable to you.

I don't think you want to be underinsured in today's market.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 05-04-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Powershift
I would get an agreed value policy of around $80M. My 1967 car is probably not as nice as your restored car, although it is a 327/350 HP factory air convertible….. and it is insured at $70M at this time with Hagerty.

Simply go to the Hagerty site and use their valve guide to assess your car, and then use that number if it looks reasonable to you.

I don't think you want to be underinsured in today's market.

Larry
I think you've got your "M"s and "K"s mixed up my friend.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I think you've got your "M"s and "K"s mixed up my friend.
I guess it just depends on how you are used to seeing "thousands" abbreviated. I've done it both ways. But I'll change it to make all the posts consistent.

Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I guess it just depends on how you are used to seeing "thousands" abbreviated. I've done it both ways. But I'll change it to make all the posts consistent.

Larry
"M" is mega (millions) and "K" is kilo (thousands) in electronics/computers; never seen the used interchangeably for finance but I'll take your word for it.

But I like it, makes my cars seem to be worth much more
Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Powershift
Race Director

"M" is mega (millions) and "K" is kilo (thousands) in electronics/computers; never seen the used interchangeably for finance but I'll take your word for it.

A bit "off-topic", but http://english.stackexchange.com/que...m-for-millions

Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Mmm...I worked at the Securities & Exchange Commission and never saw this protocol before - but I'm trainable
Old 05-04-2015, 01:13 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Larry
After the big fight this past weekend in Las Vegas seems "M" was the operative word. .. Who walks away with a check cut for 100M? .. WOW
Old 05-04-2015, 02:43 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the inputs - looks like I may be a little underinsured at the present $60K...
Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Call Adam Boca at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Very helpful with "agreed value" and price.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Actually "K" is Kelvin, as in the Kelvin theory in regards to Thermodynamics and wattage...
K=1000 Watts. But it seems that there are lots of interpretations of "K" , so I guess it depends on ones field......
Non-the-less, I believe the majority concurs that "K" is Thousand and "M" is Million........ ..... but Hey, wasn't there an insurance question here somewhere??

Last edited by Oaker57; 05-05-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Good Info ...
Understanding it's about Insurance
But being a Nuke .. when I See "K"
It's keff = 1
keff = k-effective , the effective neutron multiplication factor within an assembly of fissile material. Sorry didnt mean to Hijack

Last edited by Stingxray; 05-05-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 AM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stingxray
Good Info ...
Understanding it's about Insurance
But being a Nuke .. when I See "K"
It's keff = 1
keff = k-effective , the effective neutron multiplication factor within an assembly of fissile material. Sorry didnt mean to Hijack
I don't think I can insure fissile material-it can be hard to find after a while...
Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't think I can insure fissile material-it can be hard to find after a while...
I hear ya ...Just another ½life .
Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You can research the Hagerty and NADA sites to get a ballpark figure for your car. There's also a free app for that (CorvetteDNA).

Once you've done that, call up or email Adam Boca (National Corvette Museum Insurance) and talk to him about value. He is very helpful and a great guy to work with.

-- Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Time to Renew Insurance - Reasonable Value?

Quick Reply: Time to Renew Insurance - Reasonable Value?