C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

bowtie transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 PM
old68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bowtie transmissions

are Bowtie transmissions the best supplier on 200r4 transmissions if one lives in California?
does anyone have experience with them? positive? negative? thanks!!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default There are some better and stouter builders out there!

I assume you are talking about Bowtie Overdrives, and they have good solid stuff and offerings. Just a few pizzazz offerings in there parts offerings. If you are just generally driving around and not really just always hot rodding, then what they sell is OK. I have some of their stuff in my El Camino and had a Chevelle with one of their units in it.

Also there are pros and cons to that particular Transmission choice. Personally I would go for one of the later 700 units, just prior to the computer models. Those seem to be the best basis for a cheaper base unit to modify. Our Family, not me in particular has a few really built Auto trannies, but then we are talking about units generally in a different price bracket.

PS the adjustment of these units, is the most crucial things to set up for longevity. Bowtie Overdrives does have some good instructions to follow on setting these units up and a lot of cool dodads for the linkages to the various Carbs that we all choose to run!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-04-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

200-4R actually rather than 200-R4... of which I am a big fan and have one for my restomod build.

...but in answer to your question. California based Art Carr builds them to handle BIG horsepower (1,000)......of course he also builds one like you would need.

Here's the link: http://www.cpttransmission.com/

Stan
Old 05-05-2015, 12:26 PM
ragtop00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a Bowtie in my 1972 C3 and really like it.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To bowtie transmissions

Quick Reply: bowtie transmissions