C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I want a C2

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:12 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Default I want a C2

I currently have a C7 Z06/Z07 and I want a 65, 66 or 67 because I want disk brakes. I want this just as a cruiser so I don't need a big motor. Since I am a newbee in this area, is 55-60K a good starting point for a matching numbered C2?

Any feedback or tips will be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:24 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Hey Jack!

I notice that most of your postings are in the C7 section. You will find that there is a bit more camaraderie here on the C1/C2 side of the house... Yes, there are some guys here that will come across a bit blunt/cranky, but almost all of them would drop what they were doing in a second to come help a stranded forum member if they were in his neck of the woods...

Anyway...

$55/60K should get you a nice driver that is mostly sorted. I say "mostly", because all of these cars are gonna need "something"...

1) Fill out your profile a bit. You can get a lot of help here, but some members will check your profile to see how "local" you are to them. They may be in, or know of, cars in your area so it never hurts to flesh out your profile with current info.

2) Put a WTB ad up in the C1/C2 classifieds
You will be amazed at the help you can get. No guarantees, but there are lots of guys who lurk here and never post, but will fill your inbox up with car leads. My search took about 18 months, and there were about 4 members here that fed me info, kept my spirits up, and provided feedback on cars I was interested in.

3) You already have a Vette, and that is a good thing.
SO join your local club. If you google Corvette Club and your city, you should find something nearby. The club might be filled with grumpy old men, but that is not a bad thing. Local club guys know about local cars for sale. If you are just chasing Craigslist and eBay cars, chances are you will be a day late and a dollar short most of the time. The best deals and often best cars trade hands in private and often never make it to market. The fact that you have a C7 should be an ice breaker for any Corvette group, and also prove that your mean business about getting a C2.

4) Check out my "Opinions" thread.
There are some forum rules about posting cars for sale that you do not own. So to kind of get around that, I created a "Opinions on these C1/C2 for sale" thread.
I am addicted to searching Craigslist for cars, and every few days, I post the ones that I have found. I usually only post the cars for sale that are BELOW $50K (mostly because that is all I could afford), but it will give you a good idea of what is and has been out there for almost the last year. The newest listings will be at the end of the post, if you subscribe (or comment in the thread) you will get the updates as I post them.

5) When you find a car...
Its a good idea to pay an expert to check the car out for you. Your goal doesn't have to be having a NCRS Bowtie Topflight car, but having somebody that knows C2s check it out will prevent you from overpaying for a car that has expensive repair work in its future. There are a couple of key areas on C2s.... Frame and Birdcage are key, but if you want a numbers matching car, you need to have somebody that can access that for you.
If you find a car that is "out of your area", spending the couple hundred bucks for the expert to check it out will save you time, effort, energy and money.

You won't regret your decision... C2s are a thing of beauty and are practically timeless in their design and appeal. Just have an open mind and some patience and the right car will find you!

Last edited by Revfan; 05-05-2015 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JackTripper (09-14-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Very well put Revfan..............very well indeed
Old 05-05-2015, 07:14 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
Very well put Revfan..............very well indeed
Boy time flies, he been here 3 years already
Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You not only have a modern Corvette, you have the 'gold standard' in your Z06/Z07.

You are stepping back 5 car generations in technology. You should prob test drive a stock C2 first and see what you think. You may find disc brakes are way down the list of things that it would take to meet your standards for safety, comfort and performance.

These cars aren't nearly as fast, don't handle an iota as well, nor, ride a fraction as comfortably as what you already have. I'd just hate to see you drop 10s of thousands on something that might just sit in your garage.

Put your location in your profile; someone nearby just might let you ride/drive their C2...
Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is the numbed match such a crucial desire ? Chevrolet made millions of engines. Never found the stamp on the block increased drivability . Why restrict to disc brake cars ? Most need updates, pads / rotors / calipers at some point and can be easily added to a drum car. I look for good bodies / frames and title. The rest is simple to update. Unless your looking for a garage queen I would keep my options open to an 3-7 car. They are getting harder to find. Very popular design with restomoders. Also a good source for those date code owners.
Enjoy the hunt.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

First big question: Coupe or convertible? If not sure, try both. Be sure the convertible's top is down!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:21 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by sub006
First big question: Coupe or convertible? If not sure, try both. Be sure the convertible's top is down!
There WAS a choice ??????? I missed that part.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I currently have a C7 Z06/Z07 and I want a 65, 66 or 67 because I want disk brakes. I want this just as a cruiser so I don't need a big motor. Since I am a newbee in this area, is 55-60K a good starting point for a matching numbered C2?

Any feedback or tips will be appreciated.
I'll offer a different point of view - 55k is a great starting point for the year range you mention, but it will get you a stellar car in a 63 or 64.

The early disk brake cars aren't really all that exceptional at braking. Yes, improved over drums but not by orders of magnitude, and if they haven't been re-sleeved they'll be leaking.

A properly maintained set of drum brakes will probably exceed your expectations if this is going to be a cruiser and not tracked.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 PM
sub006
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zoomin
The early disk brake cars aren't really all that exceptional at braking. Yes, improved over drums but not by orders of magnitude, and if they haven't been re-sleeved they'll be leaking.
Interesting perspectives.

I think a major limiting factor back in the '60s was the 6.70 or 7.75 two-ply bias OEM tires. With either kind of brakes in good condition, a relatively light (3,000 pound?) C2 fitted with modern, relatively skinny performance radials will stop about as well as many late-model non-performance cars. As you say, no problem in normal street or highway driving.

Last edited by sub006; 05-07-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You not only have a modern Corvette, you have the 'gold standard' in your Z06/Z07.

You are stepping back 5 car generations in technology. You should prob test drive a stock C2 first and see what you think. You may find disc brakes are way down the list of things that it would take to meet your standards for safety, comfort and performance.

These cars aren't nearly as fast, don't handle an iota as well, nor, ride a fraction as comfortably as what you already have. I'd just hate to see you drop 10s of thousands on something that might just sit in your garage.

Put your location in your profile; someone nearby just might let you ride/drive their C2...
With Frankie on all accounts. Two entirely different animals. Hell, if you're over 6'2" you may not even fit!

Gary
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Why is the numbed match such a crucial desire ? Chevrolet made millions of engines. Never found the stamp on the block increased drivability . Why restrict to disc brake cars ? Most need updates, pads / rotors / calipers at some point and can be easily added to a drum car. I look for good bodies / frames and title. The rest is simple to update. Unless your looking for a garage queen I would keep my options open to an 3-7 car. They are getting harder to find. Very popular design with restomoders. Also a good source for those date code owners.
Enjoy the hunt.
don't let the disc brakes be a limiting factor, they can be converted easily
Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 AM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Fun Cars

Ok I don't own a Z06 but I do have a C6 Z51. Great car, lots of fun and fast as all out doors as you know. I just purchased a '67 Coupe after selling a '67 Convertible. Owning a midyear Corvette is just a pleasure indeed. Not a lot of modern tech stuff but you can fix her at home in your garage. No OBD1 ports to tell you what's wrong just basic common sense. 55-60k should get you a nice sorted out car with maybe a few things left for you to enjoy doing. I will worn you old Corvettes are like potato chips, having just one is almost impossible. Welcome to the C1-C2 forum and good luck with your search.

Earl

BTW is you are comfortable in a C7Z you will fit nicely in a midyear. Ask me how I know?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:21 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gator79
don't let the disc brakes be a limiting factor, they can be converted easily
That makes sense. I just would like to keep the car as original as possible. This will be just a cruiser that will see the streets maybe twice per month.

I LOVE the 67's, but they seem to be more pricey.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:26 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sub006
Not really sure. Probably a hardtop. Although, the car will NOT see the rain, so maybe a rag-top will work. Depends on whats out there.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 PM
sub006
Race Director

C2 coupes have ENORMOUS luggage space for a sports car. My own favorite, like yours, is a convertible with hardtop only. Very weathertight, and no soft top maximizes trunk space even with the top off.

A folded soft top takes up a LOT of convertible trunk space. About half AIR, which makes an extended trip (more than two days?) with a (how do I say this, "non-hippie"?) lady passenger, her clothes, supply cases, etc. "challenging". .......................

Last edited by sub006; 05-07-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:29 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I agree, go for a ride, or even drive one with the owner as passenger if you can, before you buy one.

A very nice coupe will be tight without excessive squeaks or rattles, reasonably comfortable,and the wind noise isn't bad , and they are fun to drive....as long as you aren't expecting '80s on up handling and ride,and Z06 performance.

You will probably find a better driving experience with a car that has been upgrades WRT thermal and noise insulation, and new shocks and tires vs an NCRS original car.

You also probably want one recently redone,a nd not a 10-20 year old resto, or you will find yourself in project city. Unless thats what you want to do.

My new 2016 Z06 should be ready for me in August.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To I want a C2

Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I agree, go for a ride, or even drive one with the owner as passenger if you can, before you buy one.

A very nice coupe will be tight without excessive squeaks or rattles, reasonably comfortable,and the wind noise isn't bad , and they are fun to drive....as long as you aren't expecting '80s on up handling and ride,and Z06 performance.

You will probably find a better driving experience with a car that has been upgrades WRT thermal and noise insulation, and new shocks and tires vs an NCRS original car.

You also probably want one recently redone,a nd not a 10-20 year old resto, or you will find yourself in project city. Unless thats what you want to do.

Doug
Braggart! Actually just jealous.

Gary
Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug

Doug
Z07 Package?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

If you have 55-60k in your pocket, ... and there are hundreds of C-2s on the net, ..... Why are you not driving one ? Your opinion is the only one that matters, .. and it's your cash.

Quick Reply: I want a C2