C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help, which BB Hood to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Need help, which BB Hood to get?

65 Big Block Hood, pressed or hand laid, who to buy from?
Any forum deals on these hoods? (Venders, how about a special?)

I have read what I could find, but most are very old and talk about problems from years ago. I can not find much of anything on other brands. Maybe some of you have recent experience with these hoods?

First most say pressed is by far the best hoods.
But right now hand laid is over half off the price, and I have a Restomod so I am not worried about how correct it is, just the fit and finish.

All prices are plus shipping and crating.

Sermersheim is suppose to be one of the best (from what I have read) but they do not answer emails or phone calls.
(pressed hoods) $1380.50

Corvette Image did have bubble problems but is suppose to be fixed.
(pressed hoods) $1296.00

ACI , I can not find alot on the fit and finish or any problems.
(hand laid) $670.58

Ecklers use to make thier own and I have read were good. Now they sold thier molds to Stinger and they are making the hand laid for them. The pressed hoods come from Corvette Image.
(hand laid) $604.99
(pressed) $1197.99

I need help from those that have recent experiance with these hoods and what the fit and finish is like (also how much extra work to fit).
Not so worried about the under side being rough, just hood gaps, grill fit, waves or bubbles.

thanks, I can only reply in the after noon to any posts.

Chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 05-06-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What ever you do get a pressed hood. You and your painter will thank you in the end.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I guess there is an obvious reason why the pressed are double the price of the hand laids.

I'm also guessing the hand laid probably have more wave/bubble issues, which I'm sure bondo could correct, but it would take time and money. And when all is said and done (if your body man is doing the work and not you), you would be up in the price of a pressed one.

Did you try looking in the used market? Craigslist, the parts section here, or even some Corvette salvage places.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM
colo69
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default bb hood

I just got my 65 big block hood from Ecklers, is looks great. The fit is great the hood has some very small bumps which will sand off and a few small wave areas, very hard to see but will sand smooth. I have not yet painted the car. I didn't have to pay the 600 dollar price, i just waited until they had a 20% off sell on orders over 600 then called them, so the total would come out to 480.00 plus i had to get the rocker channels . Call them on the order because the internet order will give you the wrong shipping price.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Must not be many that are using these hoods.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Depending on quality of materials used, hand laid hoods can crawl (wrinkle or go waive) when they heat up just in hot sun, then lay back flat when they cool back down. Pay a little more for press molded.

Try this Link for email and phone number for Sermersheim, it's been bought out.

http://www.scorvette.com/
Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Depending on quality of materials used, hand laid hoods can crawl (wrinkle or go waive) when they heat up just in hot sun, then lay back flat when they cool back down. Pay a little more for press molded.

Try this Link for email and phone number for Sermersheim, it's been bought out.

http://www.scorvette.com/
Thanks, I have been calling that number. They now have a recording saying they are 6 months behind on hoods.

I am leaning on going with Corvette Image (pressed). I talked to them on the phone and they said the problems in the past have been solved several years ago. I have read some good things about the fit and finish but I could not find anything on here that was very recent.
They said 10 to 12 weeks.

Maybe Ecklers will have another 20% off sale and I can order from them (thier pressed is from Corvette Image).

Chuck
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTICK
Thanks, I have been calling that number. They now have a recording saying they are 6 months behind on hoods.

I am leaning on going with Corvette Image (pressed). I talked to them on the phone and they said the problems in the past have been solved several years ago. I have read some good things about the fit and finish but I could not find anything on here that was very recent.

Maybe Ecklers will have another 20% off sale and I can order from them (thier pressed is from Corvette Image).

Chuck
The 67 stinger hood on my 64 Coupe came from Corvette Image. No problem with it so far. I also have a Corvette Image front end on my 66 vert and a Sermersheim on my 64 coupe. Both were bought in 2008.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Chuck
Another option is a good used hood. There are two places in California that advertise they have 65-66 BB hoods. Both have ads in Hemmings.

If you need contact info I can provide.

Larry
Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Well I think I will get in line with my order and wait the 6 months and go with Sermersheim.
I don't want to do this twice.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 05-07-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:48 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Well I think I will get in line with my order and wait the 6 months and go with Sermersheim.
I don't want to do this twice.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Chuck
Good move. Sorry I chimed in so late. I bought & waited 4 months for my big block hood from Sermersheim (Lee Bump Composites). Recieved last fall. Very good quality (65 Big block).

Dan
Old 05-07-2015, 11:07 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Good move. Sorry I chimed in so late. I bought & waited 4 months for my big block hood from Sermersheim (Lee Bump Composites). Recieved last fall. Very good quality (65 Big block).

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Need help, which BB Hood to get?

Quick Reply: Need help, which BB Hood to get?