C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

2x4 carbs on C1 checkup

Old 05-10-2015, 01:50 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 2x4 carbs on C1 checkup

Its been 4 years I think since I have had any troubles . today I noticed some stumbling and sputtering . seemed like lack of fuel .
just pulled both carbs and off to Middlesex carbs rebuilders in AM for a good check up. lately more then noticeable gas smell. front carb base seems to be leaking fuel on cross shaft .
they are clones made from 58 348 carbs I bought. the tops are 6-1354 main cast 0/132 .main cast sections were installed by Middlesex rebuilder Phil,
while off the car I will change out added in line filter/ cap and rotor after start up though , over all car runs really well and has been dependable,
Now can I make my favorite car show of the year next Saturday dead man curve farm show Montville NJ with the 61 !
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

dropped off today for some cleanup its been 4 years .
Old 05-25-2015, 11:50 AM
tach drive 61
Drifting

all back together /carbs done by middlsex custom ! pulling nice solid 18 on vac gauge so far so good on drivability. new fuel line s and filter , I use a AC Delco gf90 fitted on frame rail under car. I never trusted the glass bowl over the hot manifold .
Attached Images     
Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You DO realize you have your carbs' linkage hooked up "shotgun" instead of "progressive". Shotgun is not the best setup for the street. Progressive gives a much smoother throttle response, saves on gas and spark plugs. Like this (note where the front carb's linkage attaches to the carbs actuator plate -- its in the lower hole). Properly adjusted this brings the front carb into play at about 1/2 throttle with it full engaged - all 4 barrels sucking air at full throttle. Yours are not adjusted right even for shotgun; I'm betting the front carbs secondaries have never been fully open the way you have it now.

You're in for a treat when you adjust things properly !
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-25-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:21 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You DO realize you have your carbs' linkage hooked up "shotgun" instead of "progressive". Shotgun is not the best setup for the street. Progressive gives a much smoother throttle response, saves on gas and spark plugs. Like this (note where the front carb's linkage attaches to the carbs actuator plate -- its in the lower hole). Properly adjusted this brings the front carb into play at about 1/2 throttle with it full engaged - all 4 barrels sucking air at full throttle. Yours are not adjusted right even for shotgun; I'm betting the front carbs secondaries have never been fully open the way you have it now.

You're in for a treat when you adjust things properly !
thank you frank this why I enjoy the forum ! I had a feeling when I hooked the linkage back up it was wrong, easy fix before my next shake down ride .
Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Hell - while I'm at it I should tell you that you shouldn't use that white Teflon tape on your fuel hard line fittings going into the carb. You really shouldn't need ANY, but if you insist then get the fuel resistant yellow Teflon tape at least...
Old 05-25-2015, 03:33 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

lucky its held up the past 4 years .next time around I will take your advise.

Get notified of new replies

To 2x4 carbs on C1 checkup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2x4 carbs on C1 checkup