C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The woes of new Corvette ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 PM
schmibm
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The woes of new Corvette ownership

Been working on our 66 for a while now. Started with a nice car that ran and went to shows and cruise nights about 10 years ago. It was put together by my father-in-law several years ago out of 4 garages.

It hadn't run or moved in the last 9+ years as he was paralyzed from the neck down in a car accident. We inherited it at my wife's request. I am still glad we have it. But boy, it is getting trying.

I started off by working on the brake system because there was no pedal when we rolled it off the trailer. Found the inside of the right front wheel very wet and full of brake pad on the back of the rim. So I figured go through the whole brake system while at it and freshen up everything. Rear calipers were replaced with stainless VB&P years ago and were in good shape. Just put seals in them. Fronts were factory. Bad rusty bores. So sent them to VB&P for sleeves and rebuilt. They are good now.

Began checking rotor runout. Found several 0.015 out and left front was badly scored. So figured would replace all four rotors. Still no problem. Until I got to the left front. With the new rotors, I was at 0.028" runout. Checked the hub and that was where the problem was. After some debate and posts here decided to update to C3 spindles, steering arms, hubs and caliper brackets. Pulled off the spindles and found my lower ball joints were shot. Installed new ones. All this finally fixed my rotor runout. Now I have 0.001" all around. Ya!!

Put a dual MS from a C3 to gain some safety. Again Ya!!

Moved to the underhood stuff. Found the battery was too close to the exhaust manifold. After asking on here found that the tray was put on backwards. Flipped it the right way and problem solved. Putting on all new hoses. I ordered the wrong top hose which was too short for the center outlet. But that was ok. I gotta a plan.

Onto the motor. Pulled the intake off because it was an old Edelbrock Streetmaster. It was badly stained and looked terrible. I have an old GM LT1 intake that would be perfect. It has the thermostat outlet offset and lets my top hose work. Put it on and all is good. Polished the valve covers and they look great.

Figured I would flush the cooling system because it had been sitting drained for several years. Filled the system with white vinegar and it began running out all over the radiator core. Ok, get Dewitts on the line. On its way.

Got the motor running on Saturday. Sounds great. But getting tons of air in the recovery tank when I rev it up. Steam and everything. Ran it for over an hour with the cap off trying to let it purge. But it keeps coming whenever I rev it up. So now figuring bad head gasket or heads.

I was in and out quite a bit on Saturday from the drivers seat. The car has the telescopic steering wheel. I duno what happened, but not the center ring wont turn to lock or release the wheel...

A fella has to wonder, when does it stop. Really want to get to drive the car just once even..... But, I am a trooper and am keeping after it.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

[QUOTE=schmibm;1589610222
A fella has to wonder, when does it stop. Really want to get to drive the car just once even..... But, I am a trooper and am keeping after it.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by schmibm
Been working on our 66 for a while now. Started with a nice car that ran and went to shows and cruise nights about 10 years ago. It was put together by my father-in-law several years ago out of 4 garages.

It hadn't run or moved in the last 9+ years as he was paralyzed from the neck down in a car accident. We inherited it at my wife's request. I am still glad we have it. But boy, it is getting trying.

I started off by working on the brake system because there was no pedal when we rolled it off the trailer. Found the inside of the right front wheel very wet and full of brake pad on the back of the rim. So I figured go through the whole brake system while at it and freshen up everything. Rear calipers were replaced with stainless VB&P years ago and were in good shape. Just put seals in them. Fronts were factory. Bad rusty bores. So sent them to VB&P for sleeves and rebuilt. They are good now.

Began checking rotor runout. Found several 0.015 out and left front was badly scored. So figured would replace all four rotors. Still no problem. Until I got to the left front. With the new rotors, I was at 0.028" runout. Checked the hub and that was where the problem was. After some debate and posts here decided to update to C3 spindles, steering arms, hubs and caliper brackets. Pulled off the spindles and found my lower ball joints were shot. Installed new ones. All this finally fixed my rotor runout. Now I have 0.001" all around. Ya!!

Put a dual MS from a C3 to gain some safety. Again Ya!!

Moved to the underhood stuff. Found the battery was too close to the exhaust manifold. After asking on here found that the tray was put on backwards. Flipped it the right way and problem solved. Putting on all new hoses. I ordered the wrong top hose which was too short for the center outlet. But that was ok. I gotta a plan.

Onto the motor. Pulled the intake off because it was an old Edelbrock Streetmaster. It was badly stained and looked terrible. I have an old GM LT1 intake that would be perfect. It has the thermostat outlet offset and lets my top hose work. Put it on and all is good. Polished the valve covers and they look great.

Figured I would flush the cooling system because it had been sitting drained for several years. Filled the system with white vinegar and it began running out all over the radiator core. Ok, get Dewitts on the line. On its way.

Got the motor running on Saturday. Sounds great. But getting tons of air in the recovery tank when I rev it up. Steam and everything. Ran it for over an hour with the cap off trying to let it purge. But it keeps coming whenever I rev it up. So now figuring bad head gasket or heads.

I was in and out quite a bit on Saturday from the drivers seat. The car has the telescopic steering wheel. I duno what happened, but not the center ring wont turn to lock or release the wheel...

A fella has to wonder, when does it stop. Really want to get to drive the car just once even..... But, I am a trooper and am keeping after it.
Let you in on a secret.
It never stops cuz "old cars will always be old cars"
It's just part of the "fun"
lol
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I admire your perseverance-

I'd be really interested to see some photos if you have any to share- we all love old corvettes!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:28 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

A tip,
whenever you have a choice of going stock, or going with some sort of modification, choose stock. Your 66 was well engineered when it was new. Trying to out engineer the old GM engineers often results in problems. Even in all stock configuration your car will need attention that new cars do not need. No point in making matters worse unnecessarily.

Ps
Completely disregard this advice as I wrote it before you posted pics of your car. The car is obviously far past the point of maintaining any stock configuration in the mechanicals. Enjoy your hot rod!

Last edited by 65hihp; 05-13-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:58 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
A tip,
whenever you have a choice of going stock, or going with some sort of modification, choose stock. Your 66 was well engineered when it was new. Trying to out engineer the old GM engineers often results in problems. Even in all stock configuration your car will need attention that new cars do not need. No point in making matters worse unnecessarily.
Those are wise words indeed. GM had a whole host of engineering talent developing that car. Once you start to deviate from stock you can wind up going down the road of unintended consequences. I've seen it happen several times. When you finally get it done enough to start enjoying it, you'll find it was well worth all the frustration you're experiencing right now. I too admire your persistence. We're all out here pulling for you!

Thomas

Last edited by BB767; 05-11-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It takes a while to get cars to a threshold where maintenance is basically steady state. I would say that was easily a year on both my '61 and '63. Before it was over I wound up touching every system on both cars; brakes, fuel, suspension, cooling and on and on. Now (finally!) I can jump in either one and crank the key and go anywhere...

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law too. My father became a quadriplegic from a car accident when I was overseas in the Army back in '73. Had to get out on a hardship discharge a year later to take care of the family.

A tough gig for all involved.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Frankie is absolutely right again,
took me about a year to sort bugs out of my car.
It became a joke in the house when everytime I took the car out I returned on the back of the AAA flatbed. Overheating was typical until I went through the whole system and got it all as built with a newly restored original AC cap, rebulit original fan clutch, new thermostat, etc. Brakes, rear wheel bearings, the usual drill for these old classics.

Wife still thinks the car will break down each time I go out in it but I am way past that stage now. Have made many multiple 100 mile trips including an 800 miler. I never give it a thought now (though I do have my tool kit in the car, my AAA card, and my cell phone with me.)
Good luck to you...
hang in, it's worth the trouble.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:41 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Unfortunately, we have spent a few miles on the back of a flatbed as well! One time with two different flat-beds in the same day!

As others have said, pretty soon it will be just the standard maintenance items, but by then you will know pretty much every thing about your car!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Lots of good advice above! It takes me, like Frankie said about a year to get a car sorted out. Once it gets sorted out, it's really just normal maintaince to stay on top of. Keep your chin up!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:58 PM
schmibm
Advanced

Here is a pic from the dark shop tonight. I will get some when we are outside next. It isn't a beauty queen right now. But more of a work in progress. A little embarrassed. But one day it will be show shape again.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:10 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

You're going to have a great car after you touch everything a bit! After sitting a while, it always takes some time to get things sorted...Just keep at it and before long you'll be doing more driving than wrenching!!
I'm sure your wife will have some great memories of her dad once you all are spending some time in it...
Old 05-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Honestly... you are singing a song that we all know here, all 23 verses and chorus ta boot!

Its always something else...

We are really just caretakers of a moving museum exhibit. Its up to us, for the time we have it, how we want to display it, but it is what it is.

Keep your chin up though... I am trying to keep mine up too!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:38 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Good for you for taking the project on. Hang in there, it will get worse before it gets better.

I would get a pressure test set and pressure check the coolant jacket before doing anymore engine work. If it does not hold pressure, pull the plugs before you crank the engine over.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:58 AM
JLSmith
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Eight Months and Counting

I'm now into my eighth month of chasing issues on my '66. It was mostly original when I bought it but had been sitting for about 7 years. First order of business was a complete suspension rebuild. Might as well do the brakes, too. Got to drive it a bit after that but the oil leaks were driving me crazy so re-did the oil pan gasket, front seal, and rear main seal. Been driving a few weeks but now the driver's side headlight bucket won't fully open. I'm waiting for the weather to get too hot to drive (here in Phoenix we have a driving season opposite that of most of the rest of the country ) and will address that problem shortly. And, I've noticed that some of my courtesy lights aren't working. More work to do!
- Jeff
Old 05-12-2015, 08:46 AM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 130 Posts

My '64 is actually my fathers - it was placed in my custody when he moved to a condo in Florida. I could never understand why he didn't drive it when he lived up north or why he didn't take it with him but now that I've had it... I get it now! I love this car but its an unrestored survivor & it ALWAYS needs SOMETHING! My Dad is handy but never worked on cars to the extent I have and trying to keep up with it would have taken all of the enjoyment out of it for him.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Good luck

It does get easier to work on these old cars. Sounds like you are doing it correctly. Repair and replace as you go along with the best parts available. Stock is nice, but improvements over the last 50 years can make your ride more enjoyable. I would include SS brakes, aftermarket A/C, radial tires, improved sound systems, better steering systems etc. as improvements. Lastly, if not already done so, get a copy of the AIM and use it. Good luck with the car and keep us posted. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To The woes of new Corvette ownership

Old 05-12-2015, 11:17 PM
schmibm
Advanced

Thanks for the tips guys. I like to see all the different ideas from the guys that have been around the block for a long time. It helps one think about the problem from a unique viewpoint. Then the solution is often the best one.

Here is one photo of our hot rod (well some day).

Thanks guys!!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:04 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Here is a pic from the dark shop tonight. I will get some when we are outside next. It isn't a beauty queen right now. But more of a work in progress. A little embarrassed. But one day it will be show shape again.

It looks better than mine did when I first got it so don't be embarrassed.
As others have said, it takes time to get them sorted, just take it one step at a time and you'll get there.
Sort out any mechanical issues first then work your way toward the cosmetics.

Gary
Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. I like to see all the different ideas from the guys that have been around the block for a long time. It helps one think about the problem from a unique viewpoint. Then the solution is often the best one.

Here is one photo of our hot rod (well some day).

Thanks guys!!

Nice looking car. Each to their own, but if it were mine I'd change is those wheels and tires.

Gary

Quick Reply: The woes of new Corvette ownership