C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who thinks this was a good price for a 63 on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:00 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Who thinks this was a good price for a 63 on ebay

Do not wish to start anymore threads about values going up or down but when you have time, look at item 161697975407. Sold for $65,600.00. You might think, 65K for a SWC, not bad, but look at the pictures, description and that awful color closely (sorry to the ones that have this color just my opinion). I think 63's are still way up there, at least the nice ones. I would be interested in your thoughts.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Do not wish to start anymore threads about values going up or down but when you have time, look at item 161697975407. Sold for $65,600.00. You might think, 65K for a SWC, not bad, but look at the pictures, description and that awful color closely (sorry to the ones that have this color just my opinion). I think 63's are still way up there, at least the nice ones. I would be interested in your thoughts.
So -- you don't think this will turn into a "sky is falling" value thread ?

Right off the bat the master cylinder is wrong and the headlight bucket color is mismatched and well as being strangely tilted; there is only one shot under the car. Who knows what the deal is with this ? Maybe a bad birdcage...

And there are no hubcaps on because he didn't want to scratch the wheels and so he'd rather take pics of the car for an ad with it looking like crap ? Didn't even do a final cut and buff ? Couldn't even pull the car out of that crummy garage for some shots in the sunshine ? The seller has been an eBay-er since 2003; he knows better. Perhaps that paint job is bad and you're looking at another $12K respray to fix it.

He left $15K on the table just because of the lame ad if this car was that solid. I'm not believing it...

The listing also says the item is no longer listed because the seller ended the auction because the car was sold. So - does that mean it sold through this ad or elsewhere ? I think he found a fish and was slick enough to quickly unload a car that needed a lot of TLC...

I didn't look much farther. If this car was the real deal and saddle tan with correct leather interior with a matching numbers 340hp mill; it would be in $80K to $95K range - something is amiss.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-14-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:30 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

If it all checked out numbers wise...I think that's a pretty good deal for that car. It looks to be less than perfect with the paint and some interior details, but a pretty nice SWC, none the less.

As for the color, I never thought I would want one in Saddle Tan...until I saw it in person!!! It is actually a very shape color on a C-2 and you don't see too many of them at car shows, which makes you stand out parked next to all your typical colors.

Just my $.02
Old 05-14-2015, 03:47 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Referencing a sale is much easier with a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Split-Window-/161697975407?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25a5f34c6f&item=161697975407
I think the key here is what Frankie said... the Closed auction says "sold" and "winning bid" but thats because it was a no-reserve auction. It clearly states the auction was ended by the seller because the car is sold.

That car could have sold for $85k for all we know. They probably dont want the full price out there. I do not believe the car sold for 65.5.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:01 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Maybe, maybe not. However, the black/black 63 convertible I saw sell last week for a buy it now of 28,500 was a hell of a deal!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If this car was the real deal and saddle tan with correct leather interior with a matching numbers 340hp mill; it would be in $80K to $95K range - something is amiss.
I agree.

A real "matching numbers" 340 with power steering????

I don't think so.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:52 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

I don't think he got much more then what is shown. It looks like a car that would need an easy 20K to get it to where our cars are.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM
old68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default saddle tan, is beautiful!! one of my favorites

Originally Posted by DIP51
If it all checked out numbers wise...I think that's a pretty good deal for that car. It looks to be less than perfect with the paint and some interior details, but a pretty nice SWC, none the less.

As for the color, I never thought I would want one in Saddle Tan...until I saw it in person!!! It is actually a very shape color on a C-2 and you don't see too many of them at car shows, which makes you stand out parked next to all your typical colors.

Just my $.02
saddle tan, is beautiful!! one of my favorites
Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I agree.

I don't think so.
Mine is a matching numbers 340 but a PO added non-factory power steering. I like the way it drives so I am loathe to change it back and that's one of the few things that aren't factory I'm willing to tolerate though.

I've seen a saddle/saddle that had a super restoration done on it and it looked great! I never thought I'd say that, but they can be sharp. Having said that, the car in the OP does have a few issues but even so, if it were mine I wouldn't sell it at that price, given what little we know about it anyway.

We also don't know the seller's motivation to sell so....

Last edited by Zoomin; 05-14-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Y0GI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree.

I don't think so.
I noticed that too. Power steering will not fit in front of a 340 HP oil pan. It was NOT an option on 340 & 360 HP engines in '63.

Yogi
Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I agree.

I don't think so.
Yeah I caught that. The car has a lot of 'jacked up' aspects but possibly has 'good bones' to get to a higher level - inconclusive from what can be seen in the ad. I still think the seller pulled the plug on the auction early because he had a strong money offer on the side...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-14-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Mine is a matching numbers 340 but a PO added non-factory power steering. I like the way it drives so I am loathe to change it back and that's one of the few things that aren't factory I'm willing to tolerate though.

I've seen a saddle/saddle that had a super restoration done on it and it looked great! I never thought I'd say that, but they can be sharp. Having said that, the car in the OP does have a few issues but even so, if it were mine I wouldn't sell it at that price, given what little we know about it anyway.

We also don't know the seller's motivation to sell so....
Purportedly it was to offset college tuition costs - as stated in the ad. However, this guy has several car sales in his feedback history so I bet he's just a regular 'ole "flipper"...

A 'desperation' sale seems to generate more interest supposedly
Old 05-14-2015, 07:36 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he rang the bell at 65k. Looks like it needs paint and some primping.
I'm not an E Bay buyer but .... just looking at the ad,
I would question the head lamps. I would guess they are possibly from a later model, not glass.
If the buckets were changed, was it tapped in the front ? No mention of no hit body
Low numbers on the odometer, switched or rebuilt ? If the owner had the cluster rebuilt, it should have been in the ad as a plus.
The engine may be a 340 hp.... real or restamp. No picture of the engine pad
Power steering issue, stated as original, real or memorex.
Long term ownership? Maybe .....
Expensive car, Photos not what one would expect for a top dollar sale.
I hope the buyer is pleased as punch with his new venture and enjoys it forever.
I'm impressed at the values placed on these cars. Way over my beliefs.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

First off, the seller needed to take "How to advertise a car, 101". He has a few dark pictures that look like they were made in Hannibal Lecter's basement, you know, that Jodie Foster movie. He has about three lines describing the car, gives us no numbers, dates or any history of the car, no shots of the vin tag (if there is one) and then calls it restored. There must be a lot of people out there hungry for a SWC that would even bid on the car.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

A person would really need to go look at that car in person, could be a fair deal, who knows with the information/pics provided. I personally like that color combination, have seen it and it looks sharp.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
I think he rang the bell at 65k. Looks like it needs paint and some primping.
I'm not an E Bay buyer but .... just looking at the ad,
I would question the head lamps. I would guess they are possibly from a later model, not glass.
If the buckets were changed, was it tapped in the front ? No mention of no hit body
Low numbers on the odometer, switched or rebuilt ? If the owner had the cluster rebuilt, it should have been in the ad as a plus.
The engine may be a 340 hp.... real or restamp. No picture of the engine pad
Power steering issue, stated as original, real or memorex.
Long term ownership? Maybe .....
Expensive car, Photos not what one would expect for a top dollar sale.
I hope the buyer is pleased as punch with his new venture and enjoys it forever.
I'm impressed at the values placed on these cars. Way over my beliefs.
I don't think so but its possible. Many sellers will end an auction with a willing seller by switching it to a "Buy It Now" ad and the buyer simply clicks to buy at the agreed price. This seller ended the auction and I'd say its a big chance it was sold for more money than the highest bid shown on eBay. But we'll never know.

There is an SWC from Lakeland that's been up on eBay several times now and goes to the mid-70s and stalls (I happen to know what the seller would take for the car) and it gets relisted. It appears to be a solid car (and red) and it just can't gather any steam. Another instance where something may be amiss
Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all back to value..... Can you make it real nice for another 35k ? Is it a 100k value? Would anyone buy it, a non fuel version, for a hundred ?
A lot of cash for a car with " good bones " as you say. Senemental values may play into this hand. Certainly not bought with the " I can get out of this one if I find my dream car " theory. When the coupes I bought for five grand were on the edge of " buy or pass " I am glad I took the chance. The sale price would pay for the storage I charged myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Who thinks this was a good price for a 63 on ebay

Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There is an SWC from Lakeland that's been up on eBay several times now and goes to the mid-70s and stalls (I happen to know what the seller would take for the car) and it gets relisted. It appears to be a solid car (and red) and it just can't gather any steam. Another instance where something may be amiss
The Red/Red car on eBay is not a good example.
There are so many "incorrect" items on that car you will go broke trying to fix everything.
IMHO mid-70s is high money for a NOM that has had a color change.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Are we talking about the same car ?
Maybe I'm confused...
Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Two people think it is a good deal. The seller and the buyer.

Quick Reply: Who thinks this was a good price for a 63 on ebay