C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

And so it begins, my '65 convertible...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default And so it begins, my '65 convertible...

I did an intro a few weeks back, thanks to all for the welcomes!

I bought my first Corvette last month, a '65 convertible! This was a stalled project of a friend of mine, who lost his battle with cancer. I hope to finish where he left off. I am semi retired now, with the spare time required. I've built a couple pre war Hot Rods, I think I can handle this.

The car is stripped and ready for paint. Chrome & trim, doors, hood, and deck lid, removed for painting. Mechanically it runs and drives, he added power steering, and rebuilt the brakes and lines.

The car came with a ton of new parts: Carpet, seat covers & foam, door panels, dash pads, visors, and new white top. Under dash and under hood wiring harnesses. New tach, speedo, and gauges. New lights, parking lights, tail lights, and license light. All new emblems and door handles. Stinger hood! Two sets of knock off wheels. I have dug thru his shop several times, only a few minor parts we couldn't find.

I usually spend my internet time on the HAMB, I find myself now here at Corvette Forum more often. I will post updates and pictures as I make progress. I'm looking for a painter.

The first picture is as found, the second is going into my car barn.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 65VetteVert; 05-20-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Excellent! I dig it!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Good luck with the 65. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your progress. I can see the dual Master Cylinder of a PB setup, any other options and what engine/horsepower and color combination did it come with originally?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

This is going to be a good/cool project for you..

Whats your plan?

Body Off?
Stock/modified?..
Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

cool project
Old 05-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

What's the plan?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

The plan is to clean it up a little underneath and chassis paint that. Degrease the under hood area and detail it some. I need to rebuild the carb and give it a good tune up. Get it painted red with a black stinger. Install the new black interior, white top and put it all back together.

Then drive the wheels off it!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

I'm not exactly sure what I have here. See the trim tag. Car was red, with black interior, and white top. Since all new replacements came with this car, I will use them! Will keep the stock wheels & spinners.

The engine number plate on the block is blank.?? I don't know why, maybe a replacement, maybe been decked. The casting number on the back of the block is correct for the car. Valve covers say 327/300, but the heads are single pyramid shape on the front, not camel humps. The carb is WCFB. Has a 4 speed. Power brakes std, and power steering he added. This car looks to be mostly original to me.
Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Nice

Looks like a nice "no hit" body. If you have built a few hot rods and are comfortable with big projects, I would consider doing a body off restoration. According to the tach, it appears as if the original engine was a 327/300. Congrats and good luck with whatever you decide to to. Jerry
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Maybe it's just the glare off the instrument lenses but that yellow/red line on the tach looks to be a bit lower than a 300/327. If it starts at 5700 then maybe a 350 horse L79? Of course, like so many other things that have been or could have been 'touched', maybe someone added that tach face.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the base engine in 65 was still the 250 HP with the WCFB.... that does not explain the 300 HP valve covers, never know with the deck shaved. Interesting air cleaner. Nice car AND a nice friend. Prayer sent..
Brgds,
Rene
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM
BANG11
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It has a L79(350hp) tach, but looks like a L75(300hp) accelerator lever.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:10 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by 65VetteVert
The plan is to clean it up a little underneath and chassis paint that. Degrease the under hood area and detail it some. I need to rebuild the carb and give it a good tune up. Get it painted red with a black stinger. Install the new black interior, white top and put it all back together.

I LOVE that plan!!! . . . especially the last part!!! Best of luck . . . I know I'll be following along!

Tom
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Nice Project! It's rare to find a project with decent body panels these days! Post what parts you are missing and maybe some of us can help you out! I am about ready to give away half the extra parts that are clogging up my garage
Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

I would recommend sanding the rest of the paint and primer off and spraying it with some good epoxy, like southern polyurethanes inc(SPI epoxy) before degreasing the chassis. If that sludge lands on the bare fiberglass and soaks in, you are going to have issues later.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, it really helps!

I would be interested to know what engine this came with, and what is in there now. My friend had it since '98, drove it 5 years, then started restoration. I found the receipt where he bought it from Shaffer Auto in '98, for $17,500. Stacks of parts receipts! This is the engine in it when he bought it. There are no stamped numbers at the front of the block, the rear casting number is 3782870.

The tach is yellow at 5700, red lines at 6000. It looks original, faded like the other gauges.

Do these cars have a build sheet hidden somewhere, or does the VIN tell anything regarding original equipment? What do those numbers on the trim tag (see above) tell us? Any other clues I should look for?

I believe I have found all the parts, except hood latches, male & female. Also the declid center latch and each end latch are no where to be found. I've collected a few catalogs, looks like they repop everything for this car. And I love attending swap meets, will be in Springfield Friday.
Dave
Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies, it really helps!

I would be interested to know what engine this came with, and what is in there now. My friend had it since '98, drove it 5 years, then started restoration. I found the receipt where he bought it from Shaffer Auto in '98, for $17,500. Stacks of parts receipts! This is the engine in it when he bought it. There are no stamped numbers at the front of the block, the rear casting number is 3782870.

The tach is yellow at 5700, red lines at 6000. It looks original, faded like the other gauges.

Do these cars have a build sheet hidden somewhere, or does the VIN tell anything regarding original equipment? What do those numbers on the trim tag (see above) tell us? Any other clues I should look for?

I believe I have found all the parts, except hood latches, male & female. Also the declid center latch and each end latch are no where to be found. I've collected a few catalogs, looks like they repop everything for this car. And I love attending swap meets, will be in Springfield Friday.
Dave
That is the correct number for the block. There should also be a build date located on the back side below the ignition shielding brackets, just in front of the bellhousing. No, the trim and VIN tag will not tell anything about the engine, only the build date, plant, and interior color and whether or not it had leather or vinyl.

67 was the first year of the build sheet, which was located on the top of the gas tank.

Get notified of new replies

To And so it begins, my '65 convertible...

Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 PM
BANG11
Racer

I would be interested to know what engine this came with, and what is in there now.
Your in the same boat as myself, but the truth is unless you have some documentation to verify you'll probably never know for sure what hp your car was originally.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65silververt
That is the correct number for the block. There should also be a build date located on the back side below the ignition shielding brackets, just in front of the bellhousing. No, the trim and VIN tag will not tell anything about the engine, only the build date, plant, and interior color and whether or not it had leather or vinyl.

67 was the first year of the build sheet, which was located on the top of the gas tank.
Allright Silververt, you made me look! There is a number on a small pad that was rivetted to the mold, D3 5. What date is this engine?

And what date is on the trim tag (shown above)? Do the two dates coincide that maybe this could be the original engine?
Dave
Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 PM
BANG11
Racer

Allright Silververt, you made me look! There is a number on a small pad that was rivetted to the mold, D3 5. What date is this engine?

And what date is on the trim tag (shown above)? Do the two dates coincide that maybe this could be the original engine?
Dave
D 3 5 Is April 3 1965. What's the last 5 digits of your VIN?

Quick Reply: And so it begins, my '65 convertible...