C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My '65 Vette question of the day!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:49 AM
zeeker
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My '65 Vette question of the day!

First off, I'm older than dirt and I really don't need a classic Corvette. You just can't take them ANYWHERE! You just can't go to the local bar, get out, slam the door and go drink beer. Heck, it might not be there when you go back out. That being said, I bought this car from a friend who let it rot in his garage for seventeen years never started. After many beers and a pile of cash it's now in my garage and I'm spending mega dollars on it! Back in the 80's he had a pile of Corvettes and decided to spend "stupid money" he said on this one. Bad paint, re-pop chrome, leather interior, carpet, Hardtop shipped from California, motor professionally rebuilt, etc--etc---etc. Okay I own it. Numbers matching 327/300/4speed. So far I've put on....Starter, alternator, voltage regulator, fuel pump, gas tank, all e-brake cables and hardware, Made power antenna and radio work, new speaker, new weather stripping (not installed yet) and a pile of other stuff that I've already forgot. My intentions were to make work everything that DIDN"T WORK and sell it. I hoped to get two thirds of the price of a new pick-up truck out of it.

MY QUESTION IS......This car is already a great driver and would be a great candidate for a frame off BUT...It could use ALL new rubber bushings.(control arms, sway-bar, rear end etc.) SHOULD I CONTINUE TO DO ALL THIS BEFORE I OFFER IT FOR SALE????? Will it make a big difference to a guy that wants to do a little something for himself? That's NOT a pile of money if you did it yourself. JUST ASKING.......ZEEKERName:  DSC02919.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  442.8 KB [ATTACH] Name:  DSC02939.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  637.3 KB47886678[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,271 Likes on 812 Posts

I can't answer the value question but that is a great looking car you have.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I would say in consideration of your post

Being old! And when you bought it, having no intention to do anything short of turning a buck--- you should just sell it now and get your battery operated scooter! Right away!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Sell it as is where is.... Let the next guy pour his money in.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you coaxed your friend out of this car just to flip it, then flip it and stop complaining about what you're spending on it.
You know this hobby isn't cheap.

I wonder if your pal knew that was your intention...
Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Sell it.

I don't know if you will get 2/3 the price of a new pickup BUT if you dive into this thing, you will spend 2/3 the price of a new pickup...

Frank

Last edited by Crunch527; 05-21-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Nice looking car, I just sold my 66 Mosport in a little better shape and got high 40s for it. That color is a rare one and takes a special owner. Don't do anymore to it, just put it up for sale . It is probably the best time of year to sell it.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 AM
uvettcha
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

are those real knock offs or iam I nuts
Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by zeeker
First off, I'm older than dirt and I really don't need a classic Corvette. You just can't take them ANYWHERE! You just can't go to the local bar, get out, slam the door and go drink beer. Heck, it might not be there when you go back out. That being said, I bought this car from a friend who let it rot in his garage for seventeen years never started. After many beers and a pile of cash it's now in my garage and I'm spending mega dollars on it! Back in the 80's he had a pile of Corvettes and decided to spend "stupid money" he said on this one. Bad paint, re-pop chrome, leather interior, carpet, Hardtop shipped from California, motor professionally rebuilt, etc--etc---etc. Okay I own it. Numbers matching 327/300/4speed. So far I've put on....Starter, alternator, voltage regulator, fuel pump, gas tank, all e-brake cables and hardware, Made power antenna and radio work, new speaker, new weather stripping (not installed yet) and a pile of other stuff that I've already forgot. My intentions were to make work everything that DIDN"T WORK and sell it. I hoped to get two thirds of the price of a new pick-up truck out of it.

MY QUESTION IS......This car is already a great driver and would be a great candidate for a frame off BUT...It could use ALL new rubber bushings.(control arms, sway-bar, rear end etc.) SHOULD I CONTINUE TO DO ALL THIS BEFORE I OFFER IT FOR SALE????? Will it make a big difference to a guy that wants to do a little something for himself? That's NOT a pile of money if you did it yourself. JUST ASKING.......ZEEKERAttachment 47886677 [ATTACH] Attachment 4788667947886678[/ATTACH]
Ok I will take it 25,000 should buy a nice truck
Old 05-21-2015, 07:30 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

That's exactly the kind of car I've been looking for for the past 4 years. I ended up with a '61 last month in worse shape. Your car, needing easily done mechanical work, but cosmetically acceptable as a driver, has a wide appeal, and is more reachable to us poor folks not looking to spend 70k. You should sell it as is, or fix it and keep it. To fix it and sell it, you would not get a good return on your additional money and time.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

If I was older than dirt and I really didn't want or need a classic Corvette I would sell it AS IS and move on with getting older.

Better yet, drive it down to the Chevy dealer and throw the keys on the counter and tell the salesman you want a truck.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

If you are serious about selling it, you can list it for free right here on this forum in the "For Sale" section and help one of our members find a car and at the same time save yourself some selling expenses.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you coaxed your friend out of this car just to flip it, then flip it and stop complaining about what you're spending on it.
You know this hobby isn't cheap.

I wonder if your pal knew that was your intention...
Yep.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
If I was older than dirt and I really didn't want or need a classic Corvette I would sell it AS IS and move on with getting older.

Better yet, drive it down to the Chevy dealer and throw the keys on the counter and tell the salesman you want a truck.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Where'd he go.....under the dirt?

Sell,sell,sell....as it is, where it is.

And if those are original knock offs change 'em out for steels and repo caps and flog the KOs.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
zeeker
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy, am I sorry I ever started this thread. I guess I'm the first guy ever who bought a car to fix up and sell........nonsense! The knock off wheels are Western brand re-pops.
By the way, I already own a battery operated scooter. I use it for a lawn chair!

Name:  DSC02798.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  398.7 KB
Old 05-21-2015, 10:40 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Where'd he go.....under the dirt?

Sell,sell,sell....as it is, where it is.

And if those are original knock offs change 'em out for steels and repo caps and flog the KOs.
No, no, no! Do not flog the KO's - sell them and make some bucks!

Get notified of new replies

To My '65 Vette question of the day!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Boy, am I sorry I ever started this thread. I guess I'm the first guy ever who bought a car to fix up and sell........nonsense! The knock off wheels are Western brand re-pops.
By the way, I already own a battery operated scooter. I use it for a lawn chair!

Attachment 47886945
pm sent.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I would sell it as is and don't do anything more to it. Anything else will be wasted money and the next owner will not care if you put new rubber bushings in.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:22 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default First I am handicapped and Senior aged

Attachment 47886945
Plus for certain things I use my wheel chair, but haven't quite needed to go motorized.

you just come across as very insulting to our favored Marque and actually to the friend that owned it prior! And yes i am glad to see someone who is just planning on turning a buck, sell it to someone who might actually say something nice about owning it. I don't like to see the investor/financial portfolio types personnally on an enthusiast forum, but i don't write the rules! And there was some good advice and some that came with commits to help you, but you gave no reply back thanking those individuals, so I feel I was on target with my post.

And too bad that you couldn't share a little in tribute about your friend that apparently liked Corvettes, to tell us something about him instead of your truck acquisition plan. the post just rubbed me the wrong way!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-22-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My '65 Vette question of the day!