C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mecum advice - selling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:47 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Mecum advice - selling.

I will be putting a car in a mecum auction. The auction runs fri-sat next month. They are telling me I can have a slot at #39 on Friday (1st hour of the auction) or else near the last car on Friday.
Which is better? It seems the early slots are for low priced cars and maybe nobody hangs around for the end of the auction. I will be looking to get 25K for my car, it is NOT a vette.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:53 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your paying them the big buck commission for 3 minutes of their time. Tell them in the middle or leave it. They forget who has the investment. They will bend if they want your money.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Your paying them the big buck commission for 3 minutes of their time. Tell them in the middle or leave it. They forget who has the investment. They will bend if they want your money.
I am at the 'featured' $500 commission. The Saturday rate is $750.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:14 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Right at the beginning and right at the end are both tough spots. If it were me, I think I'd take the end, as there's people usually waiting out possible deals. Those first cars get overlooked sometimes.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Been to one with a car to sell at Monterey. Don't go and save yourself the time and aggravation, list it all over the internet including Fleabay and sell it yourself. In the end you will thank yourself.

Read the contract closely as it says they can bid on the car to cheat or fake people out, or at least mine did. A bad game I will not ever do again....... and my auction house didn't charge me a penny after the car didn't sell.

Steve
Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Been to one with a car to sell at Monterey. Don't go and save yourself the time and aggravation, list it all over the internet including Fleabay and sell it yourself. In the end you will thank yourself.

Read the contract closely as it says they can bid on the car to cheat or fake people out, or at least mine did. A bad game I will not ever do again....... and my auction house didn't charge me a penny after the car didn't sell.

Steve
Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Right at the beginning and right at the end are both tough spots. If it were me, I think I'd take the end, as there's people usually waiting out possible deals. Those first cars get overlooked sometimes.
I am split on the decision. The car looks great but isn’t great when you take a close look. A competent shop could likely make money on a flip. I am too honest and talkative to get top dollar for it on fleabay.
This could end up as a $500 lesson that mecum has savvy bidders and there are no above 20K bids for a less than perfect car.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

The bidders are smarter than people think and so is Mecum offering you those times

Steve
Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by colo63sw
I am split on the decision. The car looks great but isn’t great when you take a close look. A competent shop could likely make money on a flip. I am too honest and talkative to get top dollar for it on fleabay.
This could end up as a $500 lesson that mecum has savvy bidders and there are no above 20K bids for a less than perfect car.
Ive had great luck with Mecum. You could find someone who could get into a little bidding war for your car and you could do well, or not. Its a risk. No one is guaranteed anything.

You also dont have to be dishonest to sell the car on ebay successfully. If the cars not worth 20, then its not.

And regarding "chandelier" bids, no one is being cheated. Its clearly stated in the contract that the auctioneer can advance bids below the reserve price to keep the bids moving. The point is, if the bid is below the price that would be accepted, it doesnt really matter if the below-reserve bids are not real bids. It doesnt make a lot of sense to have you pay $500 to get embarrassed if no one made any bids at all. It benefits the seller and the auction house, and bidders do not pay any more as a result.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Ive had great luck with Mecum. You could find someone who could get into a little bidding war for your car and you could do well, or not. Its a risk. No one is guaranteed anything.

You also dont have to be dishonest to sell the car on ebay successfully. If the cars not worth 20, then its not.

And regarding "chandelier" bids, no one is being cheated. Its clearly stated in the contract that the auctioneer can advance bids below the reserve price to keep the bids moving. The point is, if the bid is below the price that would be accepted, it doesnt really matter if the below-reserve bids are not real bids. It doesnt make a lot of sense to have you pay $500 to get embarrassed if no one made any bids at all. It benefits the seller and the auction house, and bidders do not pay any more as a result.
Also, "chandelier" bids allow the bidding to continue which allows that one person in the house who is willing to pay your reserve to buy the car rather than the bidding being stalled below reserve.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

I must disagree completely with this. First, most of the bidders do not know this is happening so how will they feel if they had one to many drinks and were bidding against a shill? Second as a seller how do I know what the real number is or feel good if I did know about the buyer getting ghost bid. In my mind it's morally wrong. My car did get ghost bid up and then the lower your reserve pitch started hot and heavy. My reaction was get away from me I'm not lowering the reserve, period. No one was even raising their hand or paddle, just the auctioneer throwing numbers out. Joke.

Steve
Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I must disagree completely with this. First, most of the bidders do not know this is happening so how will they feel if they had one to many drinks and were bidding against a shill? Second as a seller how do I know what the real number is or feel good if I did know about the buyer getting ghost bid. In my mind it's morally wrong. My car did get ghost bid up and then the lower your reserve pitch started hot and heavy. My reaction was get away from me I'm not lowering the reserve, period. No one was even raising their hand or paddle, just the auctioneer throwing numbers out. Joke.

Steve
What if I decide I want to buy your car for $60,000 but no one bids against my $5 opening bid? I want the bidding to continue in order to hit the reserve so I can buy it. It's not unethical. And it's not illegal.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

The auction company will be thrilled to sell you the car for $60K after it rolls off the block. They are in the business of selling cars.

Steve

Originally Posted by Randy G.
What if I decide I want to buy your car for $60,000 but no one bids against my $5 opening bid? I want the bidding to continue in order to hit the reserve so I can buy it. It's not unethical. And it's not illegal.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Steve
Welcome to reality...
Vettebuyer knows whereof he speaks...
Old 05-21-2015, 06:47 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Welcome to reality...
Vettebuyer knows whereof he speaks...
And how do you know the shill bids stop at the reserve? Oh, that's right, people are never greedy. And Ebay is totally clean too......

Steve
Old 05-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Because the auctioneer knows the reserve ?
If you are uncomfortable with the protocol you should list the car here on the forum or use eBay.
I've sold several cars on eBay with zero issues and its cheaper; including my '67 Chevelle for $38,500 cash in my hand...
Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Because the auctioneer knows the reserve ?
That's laughable. The whole auction company knows it. Just like all the banks that were rigging the games. So the auctioneer is the overriding force of good. Good luck with that.

Steve
Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Again, welcome to reality!

Get notified of new replies

To Mecum advice - selling.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:05 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

And this is why I have worked for myself for 25 years out of my house. I have done just fine not out in the real world all day where I know I don't belong

The OP does need to know all of this though if he's knew to these circus events.

Steve
Old 05-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I know... That's why I sell my cars on eBay IMO; it isn't the best choice for the higher end cars though. And you do have to wade through some BS. I had people messaging me about what my reserve was, could they come and drive the car before bidding, etc..

Lots of lookie-lous, but you only need that one serious buyer.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

I agree. Ebay is fine but a hassle sometimes. I have owned and sold near 50 hobby cars. I usually list them on forums for a fair price and wait on the right buyer. Never get in a hurry. Took me 18 months to sell my last race car. Got my price and surprised all my friends. The buyer is ecstatic and texts all the time to show me what he's doing with it. My conscience has been clear on every car I've sold and never a complaint. The last guy wants every hobby car I own.

Steve

Quick Reply: Mecum advice - selling.