C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

True or false o a 63 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:08 AM
RREEVES
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
Do you still own the car? Can we see some photos of the car? Everyone loves pictures.
I will definitely post some pictures later, today we're celebrating my son's birthday, I have quite a few pictures to post.
I would love to hear all of your constructive comments you can think of.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:37 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by RREEVES
I would love to hear all of your constructive comments you can think of.
You need to go back and carefully read over this entire post again. I didn't see where anyone made a comment that wasn't constructive.

You wanted to dismiss JohnZ's comments, but that is a big mistake. John worked at St. Louis, and built those cars. He knows more about them then just about anyone else you'll find. John is included in the National Corvette Museum's Hall of Fame. He knows what he's talking about. You may not like his answers, but you can believe what he tells you.

I don't think anyone questioned the possibility that your car is a legitimate tanker, what they're all saying is that the modifications (hood, side pipes etc), were all added later.

63's delivered to potential racers, looked just like every other production 63. The pictures below are of a 63 big tank Z06, that was raced by Gary Morgan of Rochester NY. The car was provided for Gary by Heinrich Chevy-Land in Rochester.

The first picture is of Gary's Z06, when it was delivered in the spring of 63. As you can see, it looks like any other 63 coupe, with emblems, bumpers and wheel covers in place. The second picture is of the same car at Watkins Glen a few weeks later, after it had been prepped for racing.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:18 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
I can't offer any specific information on the jack hook being relocated.

As far as your question on the fuel filler area matching the car color the bodies were painted before the rubber boots would have been installed so there should be no mystery.
thanks, makes sense about the fuel filter area.
wanted to add some pictures, I haven't done it for a while, is there a help screen?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

thanks, makes sense about the fuel filter area.
wanted to add some pictures, I haven't done it for a while, is there a help screen?
If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the "Forum Jump" window at the bottom of the page, you'll see a "Testing" forum where you can pick up the photo-posting method.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
So your saying you have a N03 big tank car? If so congratulations. There is a lot of special features that go along with that option. It's very hard to duplicate everything. Mostly due to the lack of parts to do it. What you describe is typical and original. But not all big tank cars were race cars. What options does the car have?
thanks Nowhere Man, when I bought the car in 1968, it had a 1967 427 hood, 1965 side pipes without covers, power brakes, radio delete, originally a fuel car, build date was Nov 7 of 1962, no front bumpers, holes for scoops on the quarters, 1964 master cyclinder , racing seat belt on drivers side, and I believe it had a small steering wheel, chrome reverse rims.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:24 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Doug Hooper's black Riverside winner appears to have had some fiberglass removed, namely the inner lips of the wheel openings, to accommodate fatter race tires. Same thing for the red car, shaved up to the beltline compared to the as-delivered picture.

If not, it's the fuzziness of the pics on a monitor or my senior eyes!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:15 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Swept57
I don't hotrod every Corvette, but when I do, I tell everyone it was done at the factory for a GM exec.
Well somebody has to give a to this!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm having a "...rare factory small block Corvette with the big block hood" flashback; or maybe its the "rare '63 Corvette delivered from the factory with knock-off wheels" flashback.

I'm old and I just can't remember
Old 05-27-2015, 08:25 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Anyone know what the symbol above the crossed flags on the fender of the red race car is? Funny how all racers care about the wheels......couldn't stay red!

Steve
Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't offer any specific information on the jack hook being relocated.

As far as your question on the fuel filler area matching the car color the bodies were painted before the rubber boots would have been installed so there should be no mystery.
Sounds like a real tanker is being described, in which case the filler area is painted because there is no rubber boot (as in regular tanks). I attended an expert panel discussion session at NCRS Cypress Gardens FL meet, decades ago. Noland and a half dozen others were fielding questions, and it was said that when the N03 cars were painted, they put a coffee cup or similar over the opening so overspray would not go down the filler tube. The 36.5 gal tank was part of the body, and not mounted to the chassis, as with the other Corvettes.

[Pics from my '65]

c

Last edited by midstyle; 05-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM
midstyle
Pro

I can't offer any specific information on the jack hook being relocated. ......
With N03, the tank occupied the two pits behind the driver and passenger seats, one of which, in a normal car, was used for the jack and wrench. So they had to put them someplace and the passenger side rear corner was chosen. Pic shows the 2 clips (same as behind drivers' seat on a regular car), and the spring. I was using the jack elsewhere at the time . You can see the imprint of the jack base which is flat against the vertical panel. You can see/feel the other ends of the 4 rivets inside the tire side of the wheelwell.

But the real "can't miss" on tankers is the inner wheelwell filler panel (s), and you can see part of it in the left of the pic. The factory cut out part of the original inside panel and installed these to allow a tire of (say) an extra inch diameter to be used, without hitting the wheelwell on jounce. I'll try and add a better pic of it.

Edit: added the shot of the inner panel.

c

Last edited by midstyle; 05-27-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 91DRM
"I don't roll a joint often...but when I do it's an ankle."
I just got bow ties , not good for gas flow
Old 05-27-2015, 03:59 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Anyone know what the symbol above the crossed flags on the fender of the red race car is?
Yes I do know. I have a number of other pictures of the car, including one that shows the decal there very clearly.

It's actually a full rectangle in white, with two lines of lettering on it. The top line said "HEINRICH MOTORS INC" in red, and the second line says "DRIVER GARY MORGAN ROCHESTER NY", with driver and Rochester in black and Gary Morgan in red.

In the picture I posted, much of the label appears to be covered by red tape. All I can figure is that he was running in some sort of amateur race, and having the dealer's name on the car, caused an issue? Things were a lot different in the 60's, and the SCCA may not have liked him having sponsorship on the car? I'm sure that it wasn't as a result of a problem between Gary and Heinrich, because they had a long relationship with each other. In late 66, Vince Piggins brought Gary and Heirich's owner to Detriot, to show them the new Z/28. He wanted them to replace the Z06 with a Z/28, so that they could race in Trans-Am and A-Sedan. Piggins arranged for them to get one of the first 67 Z/28's built, and Gary raced it with "Heinrich Chevy-Land" prominently displaced on the rear quarters.

Funny how all racers care about the wheels......couldn't stay red!
Wheels do seem to be the first thing that racers change. I have later pictures of the car, where he was running what look like American Torque Thrust's, larger tires, and the rear wheel openings have been radiused to clear the larger tires.

I saw your on the entry list for Indy, is your 63 ready to go? I'll be there again with Jim Glass and his 65, and Bill Bogner's 66. We have a couple friends coming with us who race brand X's, a T/A Boss 302 and a 65 A/S Mustang notchback.

The Trans-Am Camaro that I helped build, and crewed on from 87-89, has been restored to it's 1989 as raced appearance, and is coming to Indy from San Diego. As you can imagine, I'm really looking forward to seeing it again!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You need some reading comprehension training - see post #8; I never questioned the authenticity of the N03 tank - just all the rest of the stuff that was done to the car AFTER it left St. Louis.
This post is the most creditable response....

And as a footnote what was the GS option.....I ordered 2 63 coupes and apparently missed the number or code on the order....That's because there was non......aye......

...because if it was available, I would have had one..

Last edited by Ironcross; 05-28-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:02 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I saw your on the entry list for Indy, is your 63 ready to go? I'll be there again with Jim Glass and his 65, and Bill Bogner's 66. We have a couple friends coming with us who race brand X's, a T/A Boss 302 and a 65 A/S Mustang notchback.

The Trans-Am Camaro that I helped build, and crewed on from 87-89, has been restored to it's 1989 as raced appearance, and is coming to Indy from San Diego. As you can imagine, I'm really looking forward to seeing it again!
Yes, my 63 is ready with some improvements from last year and we are bringing a new car just finished. A 69 Doug Rippie car with lots of history. See my post in the racing forum. Look forward to seeing you and the cars.

Steve
Old 05-28-2015, 10:27 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Midstyle: really good to gain the knowledge from your car. I had started to post on the relocation of the jack hook as my 63 had the stock tank and the storage wells. Then I saw the big tank and realized it would have to be different.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:57 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
Do you still own the car? Can we see some photos of the car? Everyone loves pictures.
HI vintagecorvette, let me know what you think of these pictures

Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 PM
midstyle
Pro

HI vintagecorvette, let me know what you think of these pictures
(Midstyle, here): Wow -- what a time warp. That was my survey sheet of 20 years ago , when I used to live in a suburb of Montreal Quebec Canada.

Your car is really clean underneath, at least compared to my '65.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a post a while back about a big tank, low hp, automatic car. Its just an option that could be ordered in a coupe. No racing history included, just check the box.
My 66 drag car came with a 67 L-88 engine. It makes it a hot rod, nothing more or less.
My theory is GM didn't have time to stamp the pad correctly and it was a " test mule " in disguise. That's my story & I am sticking to it. I also bought the bridge. Currently looking for a river to span.

Last edited by chevahaulic; 05-29-2015 at 09:00 AM. Reason: sp.

Quick Reply: True or false o a 63 Vette