C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looks like "their" pushing the 'Mid-Engine", again!! for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:43 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Does $439 million seem a bit much to refurb the paint area / process at Bowling Green?

Sounded like a lot to me when I heard it.

My math is correct, that is almost half a billion dollars, right?

Now, $439 million may not be an unreasonable amount to refit the plant for a mid-engine car.

Just sayin...
Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
Does $439 million seem a bit much to refurb the paint area / process at Bowling Green?

Sounded like a lot to me when I heard it.

My math is correct, that is almost half a billion dollars, right?

Now, $439 million may not be an unreasonable amount to refit the plant for a mid-engine car.

Just sayin...
Ed, I've built several new assembly plant Paint Shops, and $439 million is a bargain; the Paint Shop is the most expen$ive real estate in any assembly plant. Between the myriad EPA requirements for VOC control (which is why all Paint Shops use waterborne basecoat with booth temperatures and humidity levels held within one degree and one percent of optimal) and the cleaner-than-a-hospital-operating-room environment with positive pressure airlock entry and exit portals serving the rest of the Paint Shop, it's a lot like your environment for assembling satellite probes.

Remember that the capacity at Bowling Green is only about 30 per hour on one shift; a typical high-volume plant (65 per hour, two shifts) Paint Shop these days runs about $600-$700 million - ten years ago that would have bought a complete assembly plant, not just the Paint Shop. Nothing consumes capital like the automobile business.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:19 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

With the quality achievable with the factory paint set-up described, wouldn't it be cool to be able to have your properly-prepared vintage Corvette repainted in Bowling Green during the few weeks downtime between model changes? I can see some owners paying $15,000 or more for something like that, coordinated through the nearby National Corvette Museum.

(But maybe the computers would need a new program for C1, C2, etc. body shapes? Or old-school paint won't flow through 21st century equipment? I imagine Mr. Z will tell us why it would never work!)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Regarding the money spent on the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, I am reminded of a quote from Henry J. Kaiser regarding the price of doing business in the Auto Industry:

"I expected to toss a few million dollars into the automotive pond . . . but I didn't expect it to disappear without a ripple!"
Old 05-25-2015, 09:58 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Another butt ugly Lamborghini wanna be. Doesn't anyone at GM have an original thought?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
With the quality achievable with the factory paint set-up described, wouldn't it be cool to be able to have your properly-prepared vintage Corvette repainted in Bowling Green during the few weeks downtime between model changes? I can see some owners paying $15,000 or more for something like that, coordinated through the nearby National Corvette Museum.

(But maybe the computers would need a new program for C1, C2, etc. body shapes? Or old-school paint won't flow through 21st century equipment? I imagine Mr. Z will tell us why it would never work!)
The short answer is that it isn't going to happen in our lifetime. The C7 Corvette body doesn't go through the Paint Shop - only the exterior panels do, hung on moving conveyor racks that approximate the size and shape of the body. The "Body" only gets primed black, then gets built up as a chassis and powertrain; the painted body panels go on last.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:06 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006

Most of the $15,000 people keep paying for paint here on the forum is going for the aforementioned prep. If you paid for prep and paid $15k to the plant you would have a paint job a few here would really brag about... Ludicrously just because they paid so much....

Quick Reply: Looks like "their" pushing the 'Mid-Engine", again!! for 2017