C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looks like "their" pushing the 'Mid-Engine", again!! for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:17 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Default Looks like "their" pushing the 'Mid-Engine", again!! for 2017

I like the side/front view but the rear looks "Camaro-ish"...

As for Mid-engine....ehhh!!!

Short article...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng-for-feature

Photo Gallery...

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...-for-feature#1
Old 05-23-2015, 04:34 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 677 Likes on 382 Posts

Would love to see it happen but having the car ready for MY 2017 is a stretch in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:57 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  343.5 KB

The Zora looks plain and not something that will be a car in demand.

The rendering shown above was shown in an earlier thread. I would buy a mid-engine like the one shown in a heart beat.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:27 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

. . . And meanwhile, Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter has repeatedly said it ain't gonna happen. I'll believe it when - and if - I see it. There is no business model that makes sense for such a car.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

They've been talking mid-engine for fifty plus years. Will believe it when I see it.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:53 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SBR
Would love to see it happen but having the car ready for MY 2017 is a stretch in my opinion.
Both tracks, C7 and mid-engine, were authorized at the same time. I'm sure mid-engine will be right on schedule.

Last edited by fullcontrol; 05-23-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
. . . And meanwhile, Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter has repeatedly said it ain't gonna happen. I'll believe it when - and if - I see it. There is no business model that makes sense for such a car.
While I'll agree that "on paper" there is no business model that makes sense, there is nothing like competition in the industry to change that quickly . . . ie, the new Ford GT! Additionally, GM just announced a major new expansion to the Bowling Green plant - including a new state of the art paint facility. Is the timing of this new paint facility a coincidence? I, for one, don't think so!

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/23/w...le-fatalities/
Old 05-23-2015, 06:06 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

. There is no business model that makes sense for such a car.
I would agree, yet there is this...

http://www.corvetted.com/gms-439m-pa...up-commentary/

If the mid engine C8 comes about, I would expect it to be a smaller displacement motor, probably turbocahrged. There may be several hundred of a high HP version (expensive) produced early on, but i think those will be limited production,and used as a means for refining future model years where all Corvettes are mid engine. If the Corvette survives past say 2023.

Doug.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I would agree, yet there is this...

http://www.corvetted.com/gms-439m-pa...up-commentary/

If the mid engine C8 comes about, I would expect it to be a smaller displacement motor, probably turbocahrged. There may be several hundred of a high HP version (expensive) produced early on, but i think those will be limited production,and used as a means for refining future model years where all Corvettes are mid engine. If the Corvette survives past say 2023.

Doug.
It's my understanding the mid-engine will not replace the C7, but will be this generation's high-end ZR1 offering, but with a new Zora badge.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

YAWNnn....
Old 05-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
YAWNnn....

Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, as always for the last 50 years or so, it will sell a lot of car magazines. They have all always said the same thing, in huge, lurid lettering on their covers: "Is This The Next Corvette?"

And the answer has always been the same.

No. No, it isn't.

And don't get me wrong - I would love to see a mid-engine Corvette get built (and can we please not get started again on the whole "Front-mid-engine, Rear mid-engine" discussion here?) . . . I just don't see any reason for GM to do it. As an answer to the Ford GT? Ford will no doubt sell the small number of them they make, but in my opinion there really isn't a "market" worth pursuing for such a high-priced car. Just for "bragging rights", then, to say they have one too? After the sound of zippers being lowered subsides, the profit & loss realities will remain. GM does not "need" this car, as neat as it may be to have it. It just doesn't make sense. But, given the GM we all know and love, who knows? Stay tuned.

Last edited by fyreline; 05-23-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Per Car and Driver...

"Competition

Ferrari 458 performance at a Porsche 911 Turbo price should send ripples through the blue-blood clique (Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Mercedes-AMG, Porsche). "

Has the C7 sent ripples through the blue-blood clique? High performance at half the price of the Euro types??
Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

So it's a definite "maybe"?..........
Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

At least it has round tail lights................

in any case, the rear end shown in that rendering looks waaaay too much like a GT-R for my tastes!

WHEN will GM learn to integrate the styling of the rear end with the rear quarter panels on the Corvette? Take a look at the rear of the new XK-F, or any Aston Martin in the past 15 years or so - gorgeous! C5, C6 (I have one), C7 - not so much.....
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 AM
396/425
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

"Mid engine 2017". Who cares?, these new cars are as ugly as sin. Why not go all the way and make it mid engine while youre at it. They lost me years ago with the transformer looking ,over the top designs.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:45 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
While I'll agree that "on paper" there is no business model that makes sense, there is nothing like competition in the industry to change that quickly . . . ie, the new Ford GT!
Beat me to it!

It would be hard to make something as beautiful as the original Ford GT (the last 21st century one is just too big, but probably had to be to hold safety gear and pass crash tests?).

But a mid-engine Zora model with equal or better performance than the rumored new Ford, at a traditionally-Corvette bargain price would be a WINNER, IMO.

Take that, Dearborn!

Get notified of new replies

To Looks like "their" pushing the 'Mid-Engine", again!! for 2017

Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I would love to see a mid-engine Corvette get built (and can we please not get started again on the whole "Front-mid-engine, Rear mid-engine" discussion here?) . . . I just don't see any reason for GM to do it. As an answer to the Ford GT? Ford will no doubt sell the small number of them they make, but in my opinion there really isn't a "market" worth pursuing for such a high-priced car. Just for "bragging rights", then, to say they have one too? After the sound of zippers being lowered subsides, the profit & loss realities will remain. GM does not "need" this car, as neat as it may be to have it.
If it's going to sell in tiny quantities at a high price, why not make it a CADILLAC a la the XLR? Don't laugh, Caddies finished 9th and 10th in the Le Mans 24 Hours back about 1950. If Zora were still around he'd probably switch divisions to make THAT happen.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:31 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sub006
If it's going to sell in tiny quantities at a high price, why not make it a CADILLAC a la the XLR? Don't laugh, Caddies finished 9th and 10th in the Le Mans 24 Hours back about 1950. If Zora were still around he'd probably switch divisions to make THAT happen.
Switching the Corvette brand from Chevrolet to Cadillac has been discussed before. It's certainly do-able, but part of the reason the current Corvette has the excellent price point that it does is because it's a Chevrolet. If we are talking about a significantly more expensive car to begin with (and we certainly are), I can't imagine that producing, marketing and servicing it as a Cadillac would help that at all. Now, some will say that with a car like this, the price isn't important.

Let's not kid ourselves, price is always important.

I just don't see a mid-engine Corvette doing anything meaningful for GM. Yes, they certainly are capable of doing it. They won't make any money on it, but does that matter? Yes, I think it does. The very finest thing for the continued health and development of the Corvette we all know and love is a healthy GM. Anything that works in opposition to that is not in the Corvette's long-term best interest. And will the enhanced level of performance that a mid-engine Corvette may offer actually be used by the majority of customers (including collectors and speculators) that might buy it? And, realistically, will the Ring times of a mid-engine Corvette be a quantum leap from what is available from the current car? It would certainly be faster - but how much faster?

The cost to GM of developing, producing, marketing and servicing a mid-engine Corvette would have to pass careful scrutiny of the corporate bean counters, weighed against the small potential customer base and unknown warranty costs once they became available to the public. As I said initially, there is no business model where this car makes sense. I'll stick to that.

And I'll also stick to the fact that I would still love to see one, drive one, and yes, possibly even buy one. After all, man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Switching the Corvette brand from Chevrolet to Cadillac has been discussed before. It's certainly do-able, but part of the reason the current Corvette has the excellent price point that it does is because it's a Chevrolet. If we are talking about a significantly more expensive car to begin with (and we certainly are), I can't imagine that producing, marketing and servicing it as a Cadillac would help that at all. Now, some will say that with a car like this, the price isn't important.

Let's not kid ourselves, price is always important.

I just don't see a mid-engine Corvette doing anything meaningful for GM. Yes, they certainly are capable of doing it. They won't make any money on it, but does that matter? Yes, I think it does. The very finest thing for the continued health and development of the Corvette we all know and love is a healthy GM. Anything that works in opposition to that is not in the Corvette's long-term best interest. And will the enhanced level of performance that a mid-engine Corvette may offer actually be used by the majority of customers (including collectors and speculators) that might buy it? And, realistically, will the Ring times of a mid-engine Corvette be a quantum leap from what is available from the current car? It would certainly be faster - but how much faster?

The cost to GM of developing, producing, marketing and servicing a mid-engine Corvette would have to pass careful scrutiny of the corporate bean counters, weighed against the small potential customer base and unknown warranty costs once they became available to the public. As I said initially, there is no business model where this car makes sense. I'll stick to that.

And I'll also stick to the fact that I would still love to see one, drive one, and yes, possibly even buy one. After all, man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?
My understanding for the Corvette was to draw customers to the Chevrolet line-up of cars. A Corvette never has nor never will be a car for the masses but it helps to have the masses drawn to Chevrolet due to being enamored by the team of engineers and production and service personnel behind the Corvette also being behind Chevrolets for the masses.

Quick Reply: Looks like "their" pushing the 'Mid-Engine", again!! for 2017