C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 alignment - Portland OR area...

Old 05-23-2015, 11:23 PM
NK2015
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 alignment - Portland OR area...

I am looking for a local shop that KNOWS how to align a 1961 Corvette...

Background - I picked up a very non original 1961 for a driver, and having been doing some work on it the past few months. I added a steeroids rack & pinion, and took it to a local shop to have it aligned as per the specs with the provided instructions. The shop said 'there was no caster/camber adjustment', just toe in. It drove much worse after they set the toe in. When I get it back to my shop - a few minutes of searching and I figure out how to do the 'non existent camber/caster adjustments', but obviously do not have the equipment to set it correctly. I did notice a lot of play in the rack where the tie rods attach to the rack, up and down movement that is obviously causing the poor steering as it corresponds to the toe in/out if you move the rack up and down where the play is, but the manual mentions this is normal - anyone else who has this setup please reaffirm this is normal for the rack.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:56 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NK2015
I am looking for a local shop that KNOWS how to align a 1961 Corvette...

Background - I picked up a very non original 1961 for a driver, and having been doing some work on it the past few months. I added a steeroids rack & pinion, and took it to a local shop to have it aligned as per the specs with the provided instructions. The shop said 'there was no caster/camber adjustment', just toe in. It drove much worse after they set the toe in. When I get it back to my shop - a few minutes of searching and I figure out how to do the 'non existent camber/caster adjustments', but obviously do not have the equipment to set it correctly. I did notice a lot of play in the rack where the tie rods attach to the rack, up and down movement that is obviously causing the poor steering as it corresponds to the toe in/out if you move the rack up and down where the play is, but the manual mentions this is normal - anyone else who has this setup please reaffirm this is normal for the rack.
I would call Alignment Specialties in Beaverton. Ask for Bill. Kinda old school. He found the squeak in my 66 (not enought grease in new ball joints) and did a rear camber alignment on my daughters Mini Cooper when the other shop said there was no camber adjustment.

Randy
Old 05-24-2015, 05:06 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If you are mechanically inclined,

google Fastrax alignment gauge.

That, and four 12"x 12", 20 ga sheetmetal pieces (two per side with grease in between the sheets) under each front tire.

If you take your time, and double check everything, you will know your alignment is done right.

Doug
Old 05-25-2015, 12:01 PM
NK2015
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I am at nearing the point of buying something to do it myself, is the Fastrax system fairly accurate?
Old 05-25-2015, 02:18 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If you make sure it is properly mounted to your wheels, i think it is +/- about 1/8 degree, you just have to carefully read the bubble.

My car has never been aligned as good as when i did it.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To C1 alignment - Portland OR area...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 alignment - Portland OR area...