C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66- Pop up headlights not working, where to start trouble shooting ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:24 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 66- Pop up headlights not working, where to start trouble shooting ?

Pop up headlights ain't working on our 66. I know the motors are fine I rebuilt & tested them.

I removed the switch from dash, contacts were corroded- cleaned them. Now when i move the switch lights come on in the instrument panel but nothing else.

What next ? I don't know how to test the circuit breaker- can someone clue me in there ?

After that I'll check if there's 12v at the connection at the motors.

Thanks-
Old 05-24-2015, 01:28 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Headlights

Originally Posted by ryan22
Pop up headlights ain't working on our 66. I know the motors are fine I rebuilt & tested them.

I removed the switch from dash, contacts were corroded- cleaned them. Now when i move the switch lights come on in the instrument panel but nothing else.

What next ? I don't know how to test the circuit breaker- can someone clue me in there ?

After that I'll check if there's 12v at the connection at the motors.

Thanks-
I'd check voltage at the motors first then work backwards. Could be simple loose connectors at motor since you recently rebuilt them. The headlight connector has a latch which may not be engaged. Remember the 2 wire connector at HL motor is raise lower so you will only get voltage at each line to ground WHEN the raise lower switch is activated. Assume you bench tested the motors with 12 volt off the battery

The circuit breaker is just a normally closed switch that opens on overload and automatically resets. Check with continuity meter.

Randy
Old 05-24-2015, 01:42 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Check the engine harness where it plugs into the Firewall, under the Master Cylinder...could be corroded there...
Old 05-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Check the engine harness where it plugs into the Firewall, under the Master Cylinder...could be corroded there...
Or one of the two clips on the firewall connector block worked itself loose. That happened to me a few years back.

Larry
Old 05-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Ryan - Can't tell from your writeup but are you getting any movement or sound at all from the installed motors? If not, maybe the Black ground wire isn't making good contact. They usually have a star washer under the screw.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-24-2015, 06:11 PM
66jack
Team Owner

I'm not try to be a smart a$$...

It sounds like you just cleaned harness connection to the HL switch...not knowing about he other 'switch'...

BUT:::

You do know there is the 'rollover' switch on bottom of instrument cluster below the HL switch?...just pulling on the HL switch "WILL NOT" make the HL 'popup'...
Old 05-24-2015, 06:14 PM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

No sound or movement from the headlight motors at all when i push the switch.

I know the grounds are attached. Will have to look and see if I used a star washer with them.

How can i test the circuit breaker to see if its working ?

Thanks-
Old 05-24-2015, 06:32 PM
66RBS
Pro

[QUOTE=ryan22;1589696488

Thanks-[/QUOTE]

See my comment in post #2

Randy
Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

No sound or movement from the headlight motors at all when i push the switch.

I know the grounds are attached. Will have to look and see if I used a star washer with them.

Thanks-
Measure with a voltmeter. It should have 12v on both wires, ignition off or on. It goes from there to the rollover switch under the dash, so measure there too. If you have it on one wire, then hold the switch either up or down and measure on the other two wires. (yellow for up, green for down) Then it goes through the firewall connector and up to the headlights.

Name:  65 Wiring one page.jpg.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  667.9 KB
Old 05-24-2015, 06:56 PM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Jack- The rollover switch at bottom of dash is the one i took apart and cleaned the contacts. Was hoping for movement after that but no such luck.

I did test the motors with 12v off the battery.

I'll check the circuit breaker out- thanks Randy. Will also check voltage at connector at motor and that connection is correct.

The wiring harness connector at the firewall had some dirt and crud in it. Cleaned it out but didn't change anything as far as HL function.

Can either the HL pull **** or the button on the floor that activates the brights affect the pop up function if anything is wrong with those circuits ?

Thx-
Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I recently had to replace my rollover switch...I had taken it apart and cleaned it (which helped slightly), but it was still very intermittent when it would cooperate. I wonder if yours has given up too?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Jack- The rollover switch at bottom of dash is the one i took apart and cleaned the contacts. Was hoping for movement after that but no such luck.

I'll check the circuit breaker out- thanks Randy. Will also check voltage at connector at motor and that connection is correct.

The wiring harness connector at the firewall had some dirt and crud in it. Cleaned it out but didn't change anything as far as HL function.

Can either the HL pull **** or the button on the floor that activates the brights affect the pop up function if anything is wrong with those circuits ? If you'll follow those wires from the switch, you'll find your problem, first make sure you have the 12v supply through the cb, then go to the switch and follow the wires. Use the diagram I posted.

Thx-
No, neither of those switches have anything to do with or affect the rollover. The rollover switch is simply 12v to the center and it switches to the up and down wire when you push or pull. No other circuitry involved except the circuit breaker and connectors at the firewall and at the motors.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:12 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Did you ever check the 'firewall harness' plug under the Master Cylinder like I mentioned/suggested earlier...?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:54 PM
66RBS
Pro

Can either the HL pull **** or the button on the floor that activates the brights affect the pop up function if anything is wrong with those circuits ?

Thx-
Ryan22

Did the headlights ever raise and lower after you installed the rebuilt motors?
If you have voltage at the headlight connector then you don't need to worry about firewall connectors, headlight switches,circuit breakers, etc.

To check for voltage at the HL connector put one voltmeter probe in the connector and the other probe to ground and have a helper activate the raise lower switch. Telling us if you have voltage at the connector or not isolates where the problem may be.

Randy
Old 05-24-2015, 10:13 PM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Jack- Yes, i took the wiring connector apart at the firewall. It had some dirt/crud in it that I cleaned out but no change in HL function.

Randy-
I see why the suggestions been made about starting at the HL connection and working your way back. Makes good sense after reading your comment that if there's power there then there's not a problem at the firewall connector, headlight switch, circuit breaker.

To answer your question- no the HL's have not moved since I installed them after the rebuild. This is a barn find car that my Dad & I did a frame off restoration on. I doubt these HL's have moved in 20+ years.

I'll let ya know what I find out tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 PM
66jack
Team Owner

When you had the motors off, did you try and move/rotate the HL bucket to make sure they moved freely and not bind?

On the firewall harness...did you plug them into the correct plug?

Last edited by 66jack; 05-24-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Jack- Yes, i took the wiring connector apart at the firewall. It had some dirt/crud in it that I cleaned out but no change in HL function.

Randy-
I see why the suggestions been made about starting at the HL connection and working your way back. Makes good sense after reading your comment that if there's power there then there's not a problem at the firewall connector, headlight switch, circuit breaker.

To answer your question- no the HL's have not moved since I installed them after the rebuild. This is a barn find car that my Dad & I did a frame off restoration on. I doubt these HL's have moved in 20+ years.

I'll let ya know what I find out tomorrow.
There are TWO electrical connector blocks at the firewall. Did you check both of them?? Each connector block has two plastic clips which secure it and which like to pull out and cause some of the circuits to not operate (open circuits).

They block contacts also need to be clean.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To 66- Pop up headlights not working, where to start trouble shooting ?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:37 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

You've been given good info on how to test and troubleshoot the motors, what are the results?

When you reassembled the motors back onto the car, did you reuse the original short ground wire attaching screw? If you used a generic longer screw you may have tightened the screw into the windings of the motor and shorted out the windings.

DonO
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Thx-
No. They are separate circuits.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the input, to answer some questions;

Yes the HL buckets move freely, no issues there.

I did remove both wiring harness plugs from the firewall and ensured i plugged them back in correctly.

I used the correct short screws for the ground wires on the HL motors. I learned about that potential problem from reading in this great site.

2 of our boys have a baseball tourney this weekend but I'll find some time to get a volt meter on the wiring connection today and let you know what it shows.

Previous owner Bubba has cut some wires both under the dash and in the engine compartment. I learned from 66Jack that one of those cut is for the back-up lights. Hopefully none of the others cut are affecting the HL motors. We'll see.

Again many thanks.

Quick Reply: 66- Pop up headlights not working, where to start trouble shooting ?