C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

holley with fuel coming out of squirters after shut down

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Default holley with fuel coming out of squirters after shut down

grind a very shallow groove like shown in the pictures to vent the rubber pump check valve area back into the float bowl thru the hole that is already there. just grind deep enough to vent and shallow enough the rubber valve will seal when the pump is activated.
Attached Images   

Last edited by PAmotorman; 05-24-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Right now I'm fabricating an aluminum baffle to mount between the primary float bow//accelerator pump and the intake to try and cure heat soak of the accelerator pump circuit. I'm pretty far along on it so I'll give it a try. But if it doesn't work, I'll try your idea.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2015, 08:53 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
grind a very shallow groove like shown in the pictures to vent the rubber pump check valve area back into the float bowl thru the hole that is already there. just grind deep enough to vent and shallow enough the rubber valve will seal when the pump is activated.
That is a good trick to fix it like that the right way but I've read here where one guy cut some spacers out of plywood and stuck them under the carburetor and called it good.

Don't know what would happen if that gas soaked plywood got exposed to a backfire!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:58 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

One other thing is to drill approx. .015-.018 hole in the floor of the bowl to relieve the vapor pressure.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:10 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tbarb
One other thing is to drill approx. .015-.018 hole in the floor of the bowl to relieve the vapor pressure.
there is a very small hole in the floor of the bowl and that is were the groove goes to vent the area under the red rubber diaphram that causes a pumping action
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
That is a good trick to fix it like that the right way but I've read here where one guy cut some spacers out of plywood and stuck them under the carburetor and called it good.

Don't know what would happen if that gas soaked plywood got exposed to a backfire!

that is a old drag racers trick to insulate the carb from the engine heat. you have to keep tightening the carb mounting nuts because the plywood keeps compressing.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I built a shield for the dual Holleys on my ERA Cobra to shield the accelerator pump cover from radiant heat off of the intake. Not enough room to fit the Mr. Gasket type shields.

While it helped, unfortunately it was not an complete success. Still getting a couple drops of fuel out of the accelerator pump squirter in the rear carb about 10 to 15 minutes after I shut off the motor. Stinks up my garage for a day or more but doesn't cause any drivability or starting problems.

So - you don't think creating that small backfeed path is enough to upset the calibration of the accelerator pump action? Some fuel has to bleed back to the fuel bowl when the pump lever is activated - but maybe it's too small to matter.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:23 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I built a shield for the dual Holleys on my ERA Cobra to shield the accelerator pump cover from radiant heat off of the intake. Not enough room to fit the Mr. Gasket type shields.

While it helped, unfortunately it was not an complete success. Still getting a couple drops of fuel out of the accelerator pump squirter in the rear carb about 10 to 15 minutes after I shut off the motor. Stinks up my garage for a day or more but doesn't cause any drivability or starting problems.

So - you don't think creating that small backfeed path is enough to upset the calibration of the accelerator pump action? Some fuel has to bleed back to the fuel bowl when the pump lever is activated - but maybe it's too small to matter.
the soft rubber of the check valve should seal the groove when the pump pressure is applied. does your engine have a exhaust heat passage thru the intake manifold like a chevy then I would block that crossover with some stainless steel shim stock to take the exhaust heat out of the intake manifold

Last edited by PAmotorman; 05-25-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:37 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

... then I would block that crossover with some stainless steel shim stock to take the exhaust heat out of the intake manifold
I have read here on this forum that a little piece of scrap metal is not to be trusted for this job. This came from the foremost authority here on blocking exhaust crossovers and construction grade plywood carb spacers.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

I have read here on this forum that a little piece of scrap metal is not to be trusted for this job. This came from the foremost authority here on blocking exhaust crossovers and construction grade plywood carb spacers.

you must use stainless steel to take the heat and exhaust pressure. I used .005/.007 thick stainless steel shim stock and never had a burn thru.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:17 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

you must use stainless steel to take the heat and exhaust pressure. I used .005/.007 thick stainless steel shim stock and never had a burn thru.
Nope, I was advised here not to trust that.

Something was said about paying $39.95 for a real professional set that had that shim part of the gasket set.

There is a lot of good info available here. Some is useless. I like your idea.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:09 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Nope, I was advised here not to trust that.

Something was said about paying $39.95 for a real professional set that had that shim part of the gasket set.

There is a lot of good info available here. Some is useless. I like your idea.
I did dozens of engines and I never even removed it the intake. I just drained down the rad and loosened all the intake bolts and slid the shims in between the manifold and the heads
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I did dozens of engines and I never even removed it the intake. I just drained down the rad and loosened all the intake bolts and slid the shims in between the manifold and the heads
Danger, Will Robinson. Danger.

I was also told here this won't work either.

Maybe somebody ought to check it out and report back. Save $39.95.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:27 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

the soft rubber of the check valve should seal the groove when the pump pressure is applied. does your engine have a exhaust heat passage thru the intake manifold like a chevy then I would block that crossover with some stainless steel shim stock to take the exhaust heat out of the intake manifold
OK - I see the idea now. It has an exhaust passage but I'm pretty sure the builder blocked it off.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Clem and Tim,
Since a 3810 does not have the rubber check valve, it uses a ball bearing, would a .015" hole back into the bowl serve the same purpose?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:39 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Clem and Tim,
Since a 3810 does not have the rubber check valve, it uses a ball bearing, would a .015" hole back into the bowl serve the same purpose?
yes my post only applies to the carb with the red rubber check valve not the one with the ball bearing check valve.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Just so that I am clear on your reply Clem, drilling a small hole would work with the ball check valve style?

Get notified of new replies

To holley with fuel coming out of squirters after shut down

Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Just so that I am clear on your reply Clem, drilling a small hole would work with the ball check valve style?
the hole should already be drilled from holley in the float bowl.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:38 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Default new fix for bleeding squirters

drill a .015 hole clear thru hole #1 in the metering block. this will vent the squirter passage into the float bowl and relieve the pressure.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2015, 03:11 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Default Drilling hole

drill a .015 hole clear thru hole #1 in the metering block. this will vent the squirter passage into the float bowl and relieve the pressure.
That hole feeds the passage in the main body going to the squirters. Drilling a hole straight through means the gas will go into the float bowl not the squirters when the car is running and you step on the gas pedal.

Quick Reply: holley with fuel coming out of squirters after shut down