C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help identifying cluster ground wire on 63 roadster

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
lymlyt
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help identifying cluster ground wire on 63 roadster

I have read several threads on this issue and there is conflicting information about the color of the cluster ground wire. JohnZ (whose knowledge is out of this world) states in several threads that the ground is a black wire (though not directly in reference to a 63). My wiring diagram (from papawana) shows the ground as a black wire with white stripe (see the picture below. My issue is that I have both a black wire with a female connector and a black/white wire with a female connector. I'm just looking to get this right. Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Never good to assume because the wire colors are matching that

that is your ground. i would first check that line, to see if it goes to a ground point (connection), if it can be traced. sounds like there are connectors, so are they original (doesn't sound like it) or did someone monkey with the wiring? I would check it for voltage and if none, i would test to ground, continuity to prove out what it is!

Also when all is proved out, i would get rid of any cheap connectors and replace with proper ones or if more appropriate, good wire splices and then get out the paint brush and paint the white onto the new black wire you properly spliced in!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-24-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Help identifying cluster ground wire on 63 roadster