C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C 1 Parking Brake Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:34 PM
SteveA922
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C 1 Parking Brake Bracket

Does anyone have a pic of how the factory parking brake cable attaches to the welded factory frame bracket? This is the bracket located under the trans tunnel, drivers outside frame rail. I've had the car apart for 7 months and didn't photo this. The new cable sent to me by CC doesn't want to mount and I'm thinking I'm either missing a part that I removed during disassembly or I've been sent the wrong cable.

Thanks, Steve
Old 05-24-2015, 06:30 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Steve,
At the aft end of the cable housing is a solid area with a notch in it. That fits in the frame bracket. Remove the bolt in the frame bracket, align the notch in the housing with the hole for the bolt, then insert the bolt. Occasionally you will need to open up the bracket ever so slightly to get the cable housing into the bracket. Everything will fall into place after that.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:47 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Yes Mike is right, but I have found the reproduction cable "notch", is just a fraction larger in diameter than originals.

In order to get the bolt to pass through the 2 bracket holes and pass through the notch in the cable housing, I always have to drill out the bracket holes just a tad bigger.

Rich
Old 05-25-2015, 12:00 AM
SteveA922
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies, that's what I thought and makes sense however with the powder coating combined with the new cable end being larger it almost looks like it doesn't belong.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 76 Posts

I just installed a CC parking brake cable in my 55 and experienced the exact same issues as described above. I bent opened the bracket by first heating up using a propane torch so as not to break it. I then used a slightly smaller OD bolt to fit through the bracket hole and torqued it back into place around the cable.

Get notified of new replies

To C 1 Parking Brake Bracket

Quick Reply: C 1 Parking Brake Bracket