C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

carb adjustments 2 -four barrel 56 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:38 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Default carb adjustments 2 -four barrel 56 corvette

I have a 265 cu. inch stock 2- 4 barrel auto. I was trying to set the idle mixture on the primary carb and found it impossible to get any type of screw driver on the screws. There is no room to even get a flex screw driver to work. Also, do you need to set the idle screws on both carbs or just the primary? Any ideas please? Thanks, Jim
Old 05-25-2015, 02:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I like to set up partial idle on both carb just to even out fuel distribution when idling. You can use a short 1/4" box end wrench to adjust the mixture screws or get one of these:

http://pitposse.com/po90de14inhe.html

Not cheap...but it sure makes life easier...

IF you have the ultra rare one year only real '56 carbs with the idle air bypass screw in the base....run that idle bypass adjustment all the way in until its seated and adjust the mixture screws as normally done on cars without the bypass..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-25-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 AM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by moonframer
Also, do you need to set the idle screws on both carbs or just the primary? Any ideas please? Thanks, Jim
Jim, I sent you a PM; I can email you a copy of a pub .

Its been many,many years since I fooled with those dual 4-barrels, my memory may be failing me, but I don't recall it being particularly difficult to adjust the fuel & air screws.
Seems to me I used small open-end wrenches at an angle from the sides for the fuel mixture screws, and a screwdriver for the air screws.

Use your imagination.
Something like these could work, even if metric, or could be filed to fit and/or bent to work:
Amazon.com: Bergen Tools 7 Piece Miniature OPen End Spanner Set - BER1859: Automotive Amazon.com: Bergen Tools 7 Piece Miniature OPen End Spanner Set - BER1859: Automotive

Electronics supply stores may carry thin, long open-end wrenches with offset ends, likely metric, and could be filed & bent for easy access.
A miniature box-style gearwrench might also do the trick, since you only need to grasp the end of the mixture screw (but it would need to be a reversible ratchet if offset).

Wayne

Last edited by waynec; 05-25-2015 at 04:56 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-25-2015, 09:05 AM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Hi Frankie, Thanks for your advise and link to this tool. I ordered it today and hoping it does the trick. Thanks again, Jim
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It works but withOUT any of the attachments though. The tool's mount for the attachments is actually a 1/4" socket - so you use it by itself.

The small Philip's head bit that comes with the kit is the shortest I've ever found; with a 1/4" box end wrench on it you can use it to tighten C1 turn signal bell housings that use that wedge fixture from the back and get things REAL tight....

The point of having both carbs contribute a bit to the idle is just to get that front carb's throttle plate a little off the fully closed position so it never sticks from sitting in that spot too long... Some drive like a Sally so it might never get moved off fully closed otherwise...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-25-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:43 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Jim, got your PM reply, but you didn't give me your email address.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:18 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Default 2 - four barrel idle adj

Thanks, thats interesting about the secondary idle. Jim

Get notified of new replies

To carb adjustments 2 -four barrel 56 corvette

Quick Reply: carb adjustments 2 -four barrel 56 corvette