C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

44th annual Big Sky Corvette Meet a success

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 44th annual Big Sky Corvette Meet a success

I posted this on the Regional discussion forum as well but I don’t think that forum is well read so I’m posting in the generational forums as well. Please don’t flame me!
The 44th Annual Big Sky Corvette Meet "Revvin The Rims" is completed and in the books! A very successful and fun event despite Sundays weather! Thank You to all the participants, all of our generous event and ad Sponsors and especially to all the hard working members of this years sponsoring club, the Glass Reunion Corvette Club of Billings Montana!
We had just under 140 cars registered which was a very good showing for our event. The region was well represented with cars from Washington, Idaho, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, Alberta and Saskatchewan Canada and of course Montana!
Following are a few pics from Saturday mornings Show N Shine with 71 cars and many more in the parking lot.
The venue for the Show n Shine and Saturday evenings dinner and entertainment, the Calamity Jane Players, was Hennery's Garage which is an absolutely AWESOME venue! The Players put on an Elvis themed variety show which kept us all in stitches for their entire 1.5 hour show!
Weather on Saturday was quite acceptable, mid 60's, mostly cloudy and no rain, not even a sprinkle.
Sunday morning however came with overnight rains which left the mornings Auto-X in question with wet pavement but the rain had stopped and with very overcast skies we ran the event . All the Corvettes completed their runs with no more rain. We had one late model Camaro that we allowed to sign up to run because his buddy had recently bought a C7 Z06 and I think he wanted to try to show him up! Anyway he ran last and just as he was about to start his final run the rain started to come down HARD.....I think it was a sign from the Corvette gods!
The Sunday afternoon tour to Red Lodge was a bit wet off and on but went off quite well also with 35 cars parading the 100 mile back road rout as a group, and many more taking the non-organized direct 55 mile route and meeting us there.
The Sunday evening Awards Banquet held at the Billings Hotel Convention Center was quite good as well. Our silent auction and 50/50’s from both nights raised around $2500 for our local charities, Ronald McDonald House, Yellowstone Boys & Girls Ranch and Tumbleweeds for troubled youth, and one other for disabled youth which I can’t recall the name of offhand….Getting old sucks! At least 75% of our weekends proceeds will be split among these four charities. The final $$$ to charity won't be known for a few more days when it is all tallied up.
If anyone's interested in more pics of the weekend’s events you can take a look on our web page; www.glassreunioncorvettes.com
It should be updated soon with pics. Also you can check out our Face Book Page as well.
Next year the event will be hosted by the Electric City Corvette Club in Great Falls Montana. The event is always Memorial weekend so mark your calendars and come join in the fun!

Corvette parking area

another view of the corvette parking area

This beautiful C1 was not entered in the SnS and was out in the parking area

several from inside Hennery's during the SnS

in the barbeque shelter on the grounds of Hennery's

Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good turn out. Many C-4s and above. That must be what everyone is driving these days.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Good turn out. Many C-4s and above. That must be what everyone is driving these days.
All were very nice Vettes and C6 had by far the most in attendance. The 58 took best of show, very gorgeous car! Wish I had more pics of it to post.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:10 PM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I attended the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Big Sky meets before i graduated from MSU and headed to CA.

Back then, at least the early ones, it was typical to camp in a tent behind your car.

Doug
Old 05-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I attended the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Big Sky meets before i graduated from MSU and headed to CA.

Back then, at least the early ones, it was typical to camp in a tent behind your car.

Doug
Very cool! We've come along way since then! You should try to make a few more, we love to have people from the early years attend. One fellow in attendance has been to ALL 44 events!!! He had some very interesting stories to tell.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:12 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
One fellow in attendance has been to ALL 44 events!!! He had some very interesting stories to tell.
Do you know what his name is? If he was ever from Helena, or Bozeman, I may know him.

One year they had the event in a field near Virgina City, i think that was #2, or #3. Quite the drunken bash, from what i heard.

Doug
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Do you know what his name is? If he was ever from Helena, or Bozeman, I may know him.

One year they had the event in a field near Virgina City, i think that was #2, or #3. Quite the drunken bash, from what i heard.

Doug
I wish I could remember. It would be interesting if someone would put together a history of the event before all the old original's are gone or forgotten. I'll see if I can find out who he is. I thought it was at Virginia City for quite a few years....till it out grew the capability's area.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

It may have been at Virginia City for up to the first 3 years, it wasn't after that, at least when i went from '75 to '79.

Doug
Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Great pictures. Nice turn out. It looks like a lot more than 140 Corvettes.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a good time. I always think there should be more early cars at those type things- I know they are out there, probably under someone's car cover deep in a garage!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 44th annual Big Sky Corvette Meet a success

Quick Reply: 44th annual Big Sky Corvette Meet a success