C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Changing Steering Box Grease

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 04:50 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

Default Changing Steering Box Grease

Does anyone have a good method for removing the grease from a C2 steering box other than taking it apart?

Thanks,

Doc
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by watson
Does anyone have a good method for removing the grease from a C2 steering box other than taking it apart?

Thanks,

Doc
No……….you can just add grease and accept it that way, or disassemble the box and rebuild it and add new grease at that time.

Gary Ramadei or Bairs are good for rebuilds if you want to send it out.

Larry
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks, I sort of thought that was the case. I filled my new box with grease until it came out of the hole. Then, I read the book and found out that it is supposed to be only 3/4 full and that it needs air bubbles inside to work properly. I guess that I will take the cover off and see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Doc
Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by watson
Thanks, I sort of thought that was the case. I filled my new box with grease until it came out of the hole. Then, I read the book and found out that it is supposed to be only 3/4 full and that it needs air bubbles inside to work properly. I guess that I will take the cover off and see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Doc
The standard filling procedure is just what you did. I would leave it and not remove the cover. I am certain it has enough "free room" inside for heat expansion…….as you will never get all the air out during refilling.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Steering Box Grease

Quick Reply: Changing Steering Box Grease