C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:00 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1964 Questions

Good afternoon everybody. I am slowly working on my wife's 64 Coupe November 15, 1963 build with AC .

I went to replace the power vent cable. The new cable is 10' 6", the old cable was 11' 3". I believe this to be original, the venders claim that the 10' 6" cable is the longest available. Does any body know what the original cable length was?

Below I will post pictures of the rug removed and pictures of the inside. The carpet on the compartment cover had foam but the rest of the car did not. I did not find any label on the carpeting. Does this look original?

I noticed in catalogs there is suppose to be a spacer under the gas pedal. I did not find one. Does the spacer go under the carpet or above the carpet?

Thanks E.J.

Last edited by ejpii; 05-26-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Didnt finish
Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

By my count that was 3 questions. You have 1961 to go.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM
ejpii
Advanced

By the end of this there just might be that many questions. Maybe I should use this for all questions going forward.

EJ
Old 05-26-2015, 05:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ejpii
I noticed in catalogs there is suppose to be a spacer under the gas pedal. I did not find one. Does the spacer go under the carpet or above the carpet?

Thanks E.J.
As shown in your '64 Assembly Manual, the spacer block goes UNDER the carpet; there's a cavity molded into the floor pan for it.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnZ
As shown in your '64 Assembly Manual, the spacer block goes UNDER the carpet; there's a cavity molded into the floor pan for it.
Thanks JohnZ, That's what I thought.

That is one question answered. Two to go.

Then wait for 1961 more questions

EJ
Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't have the actual length of the original cable handy, but I can tell you the replacement cable I installed works just fine. I removed the original because the casing became so stiff that the cable would not operate smoothly to my satisfaction. What makes you think the replacement cable won't work? Pilot Dan
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
I don't have the actual length of the original cable handy, but I can tell you the replacement cable I installed works just fine. I removed the original because the casing became so stiff that the cable would not operate smoothly to my satisfaction. What makes you think the replacement cable won't work? Pilot Dan

Hi Pilot Dan,

I ran the cable like the original and it came up short. I have not tried running it different from the original. I wanted to see if the cable I received was a mistake.

The original cable that came out was 11'3" and the new one was 10'6" from the end of the **** to the end of the cable. I spoke to LI Corvette and was told that's the longest. I was hoping someone might know the original factory length. (I was told mine must have been changed etc. etc. etc.) The one that I removed is brittle and looks 50 years old.

There are 2 cables for each year 64 & 65. 1 for AC cars and 1 for Non AC cars. I wish they would list the length in the catalogs it would make life easier when ordering.

I'll have to try routing it a little lower behind the cluster.

E.J.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

E.J.,

I have the original power vent cable from my '64 Coupe that I have owned for forty four years. It is a non A/C car. The cable is 10' 6". Hope this helps you out...Mine is in good condition and is for sale if it is the correct application for you.

BTW....It looks like you have a dark blue (Daytona) interior. Check out the '64 seats I have for sale.

Wolfman
Attached Images    
Old 05-26-2015, 11:19 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Originally Posted by wolfman64
E.J.,

I have the original power vent cable from my '64 Coupe that I have owned for forty four years. It is a non A/C car. The cable is 10' 6". Hope this helps you out...Mine is in good condition and is for sale if it is the correct application for you.

BTW....It looks like you have a dark blue (Daytona) interior. Check out the '64 seats I have for sale.

Wolfman
Thanks for the info wolfman. The interior is actually black. I just had the seats recovered in leather. Those look in really good condition.

If the cable in your non air 64 is 10'6". That tells me an air car should have a longer cable. The non air cable the venders are selling is around 9'.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM
ejpii
Advanced

Good Morning,

Do the rugs and padding look original or replaced at some time?

EJ
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Hi Pilot Dan,

I ran the cable like the original and it came up short. I have not tried running it different from the original. I wanted to see if the cable I received was a mistake.

The original cable that came out was 11'3" and the new one was 10'6" from the end of the **** to the end of the cable. I spoke to LI Corvette and was told that's the longest. I was hoping someone might know the original factory length. (I was told mine must have been changed etc. etc. etc.) The one that I removed is brittle and looks 50 years old.

There are 2 cables for each year 64 & 65. 1 for AC cars and 1 for Non AC cars. I wish they would list the length in the catalogs it would make life easier when ordering.

I'll have to try routing it a little lower behind the cluster.

E.J.
It appears from the AIM that AC cars relocated that blower cable to the right side of the steering column (as opposed to far left position on non A/C cars) to make room for the drivers A/C duct. Based on what I see, the A/C cable would have to be longer to make up that extra distance. There are some folks that restore cables, possibly you could get a new core if your original casing is salvageable.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:03 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

The carpet looks original to me. The cut outs for the seat tracks are correct for 64. In 65 they started cutting a flap for access to the seat mount bolts, which I still have not figured out regardless of looking at photos. I would keep the old carpet for a template as most new carpet needs to be trimmed!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:19 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
It appears from the AIM that AC cars relocated that blower cable to the right side of the steering column (as opposed to far left position on non A/C cars) to make room for the drivers A/C duct. Based on what I see, the A/C cable would have to be longer to make up that extra distance. There are some folks that restore cables, possibly you could get a new core if your original casing is salvageable.

Thanks Pilot Dan, My cable has been worn through from a screw where it bends to transition into the wire gutter from the firewall/kick panel.

EJ
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65silververt
The carpet looks original to me. The cut outs for the seat tracks are correct for 64. In 65 they started cutting a flap for access to the seat mount bolts, which I still have not figured out regardless of looking at photos. I would keep the old carpet for a template as most new carpet needs to be trimmed!
Thanks 65silververt, I definitely plan to keep the old carpet until finished. I was just thrown for a loop because the carpet on the jack well cover had foam on it and the rest of the car has jute padding with no foam on the carpet.
During all my research I found that a 64 should have foam backed carpet. I thought it might have been changed. Being the car is a November of 63 build. I would assume foam backed anyway.

Last edited by ejpii; 05-27-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks 65silververt, I definitely plan to keep the old carpet until finished. I was just thrown for a loop because the carpet on the jack well cover had foam on it and the rest of the car has jute padding with no foam on the carpet.
During all my research I found that a 64 should have foam backed carpet. I thought it might have been changed. Being the car is a November of 63 build. I would assume foam backed anyway.
hmmmm, I am not sure. Maybe somebody removed the foam from the rest of the carpet at some point? I honestly can't remember if all the carpet in 64 came with foam backing. It has been many a year since i researched carpet for a 64.

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Questions

Quick Reply: 1964 Questions