C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Will an LSA fit in a C1 without cutting the hood??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:43 AM
Bowtie73
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Will an LSA fit in a C1 without cutting the hood??

Hi All,
I have scoured CF looking for info to see whether the LSA can physically fit in the engine bay of a 58-62 without needing to cut up the hood- but can't find anything on the subject. I have serious doubts it would, but figure it is worth the question!

Is anyone with an LS3 in either a modified stock/AME/Sriii/Newman chassis able to assist and measure from highest point of their engine and the underside of the hood clearance for me?

I have read somewhere the Sriii engine mounts are the lowest of all aftermarket chassis but not sure if it still would be enough.

Alternatively, if a forum member has access to an "as-delivered" LS3 and a LSA for comparison measurement that would be invaluable!
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:00 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I can't say for sure, but my guess is it would. The old blue flame six was pretty tall.

I like where you're headed with this. Be sure to do a build thread.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:41 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen at least 3 in the Houston area, seems someone I routinely see has one but I can not remember WHO. I will ask around and try to get some pics.

I recently helped one of my buddies put an LS3 (roll-over from 2011 Camaro) in a 63. Height clearance is no problem because no carb...LS3 has low profile with intake tunnel, not carb sitting on top of intake manifold.

Joe
Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Bowtie73
Advanced

The LSA is a tempting product, great value for HP.
I have found a drawing online that indicates the LSA is 30.15" from sump to highest point, and the LS1 is 27.5".
Different sumps might change the numbers a bit, would be more accurate to measure from crank centreline to top I suspect.
But based on this info as as a start, CF restomod owners out there- What's the likelihood of ~4-5" of clearance under the hood of your C1/LS Combo?
Old 05-30-2015, 12:14 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bowtie73
Hi All,
I have scoured CF looking for info to see whether the LSA can physically fit in the engine bay of a 58-62 without needing to cut up the hood- but can't find anything on the subject. I have serious doubts it would, but figure it is worth the question!

Is anyone with an LS3 in either a modified stock/AME/Sriii/Newman chassis able to assist and measure from highest point of their engine and the underside of the hood clearance for me?

I have read somewhere the Sriii engine mounts are the lowest of all aftermarket chassis but not sure if it still would be enough.

Alternatively, if a forum member has access to an "as-delivered" LS3 and a LSA for comparison measurement that would be invaluable!
Thanks in advance!
Forum member Jbabek is putting an LS engine in a '60 using the stock frame, steering, and hood. If you are using side mounts you can probably lower the engine so that almost anything will fit without hood modification (except perhaps a 572).

Charles
Old 05-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here's one in my area........no problem.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Bowtie73
Advanced

Thanks Kerrmudgeon, looks like a nice ride in the making!
How close will the front portion of the intake runner and throttle body be to the underside of the installed hood?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:02 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

If you side mounts in a C1 you have to change the steering and other under hood stuff.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:36 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ohiovet
If you side mounts in a C1 you have to change the steering and other under hood stuff.
Or maybe not! See post #24
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mounts-2.html
Old 05-31-2015, 08:58 PM
Bowtie73
Advanced

I'm ok with the need for changing the steering and side mounts, was thinking R&P and aftermarket chassis anyway. Troy Trepanier built a 58 with an Art Morrison chassis and a LS3/Edelbrock E-Force 416 Crate engine combo, but this had a modified supercharger cowl to fit and the Eaton blower looks like a lower profile than the LSA version.
The Edelbrock option is crazy expensive though, whereas the LSA is more reasonably priced, but if it don't fit- it's no good to me....

Get notified of new replies

To Will an LSA fit in a C1 without cutting the hood??

Quick Reply: Will an LSA fit in a C1 without cutting the hood??