C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 L-88 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:53 PM
DandyDon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1967 L-88 Question

I'm kind of new at this; but I believe there were only 20 some 67 models equipped with the L-88 engine from the factory?

Have all these cars been accounted for? Is there a -VIN list that shows what cars were equipped with this engine from the factory?

I have one of those "friend of a friend" deals that claims he knows of a "factory L-88 car" in Southern OH.

Before I sell my all my worldly possessions and "take the bait"---I thought I would check with more knowledgeable Forum members.

Thanks- Dandy Don
Old 05-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I believe all 20 cars have been accounted for by certain NCRS members. the vins are known only to them. as they are not public and I really can't see them showing them to anyone who doesn't own one. what makes your friend thinks he owns one. is that the only RPO engine code he has ever heard of?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:12 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Only one way to find out! Go look and take lots of pictures.

Never know and if it's not an l88, it might turn out to be something else that is worth a lot and worth investing in
Old 05-29-2015, 03:04 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Not to be a downer but we aren't taking about an "average" 6 figure car here. The OP is unlikely to be dealing with someone connected to one (but anythinga possible) and I've never heard of anyone just up and deciding to buy one in this generation. If you are a player for an l88, you are probably VERY well heeled and VERY connected to the hobby. This rules me and MOST members here out. Just cashing in a decent retirement for one would be absurd - where would you go with it? Where would you store it? What would the terms of your insurance be? Would you give your lifestyle up to own a car someone else with one can afford along with a few mansions and yachts? And probably a car dealership franchise or thirty?

Again, even our wealthy members would find an L88 out of reasonable reach.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Rick Gower
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DandyDon
I'm kind of new at this; but I believe there were only 20 some 67 models equipped with the L-88 engine from the factory?

Have all these cars been accounted for? Is there a -VIN list that shows what cars were equipped with this engine from the factory?

I have one of those "friend of a friend" deals that claims he knows of a "factory L-88 car" in Southern OH.

Before I sell my all my worldly possessions and "take the bait"---I thought I would check with more knowledgeable Forum members.

Thanks- Dandy Don
Do a search for posts by TCracingCA. I believe he has posted all of the VIN's for the 1967 L88's on this forum before.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:41 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Heres a thread i started...Lots of reading for you...

Asking Who owns A REAL L88...

Check post 4 is a partial list...TCracingCA has them posted...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-a-l-l88.html
Old 05-29-2015, 03:46 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Last year.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:32 PM
DandyDon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66jack
Heres a thread i started...Lots of reading for you...

Asking Who owns A REAL L88...

Check post 4 is a partial list...TCracingCA has them posted...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-a-l-l88.html
Thanks guys! This Forum is an incredible source of information.

DandyDon
Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Honestly thank you guys, because I really really tried!

Originally Posted by Rick Gower
Do a search for posts by TCracingCA. I believe he has posted all of the VIN's for the 1967 L88's on this forum before.
But do you really want to recommend that a new guy read all of my posts???:hid e:

The thing that sucks, is that I know I have more information and notes, but I just can't find them. Maybe those NCRS guys got into my house and garage!!!!!!! I will fingerprint my doors and windows this weekend, to see if the prints of those particular guys shows up! Maybe start a thread on what I find!

But in all of my searching, I have just found my list (the complete) as to what part numbers constituted a 65/66 HD build! Someone with energy would have to cross check it against the part numbers for a standard L-72. But I have found those notes. These parts were essentially the first real Chevrolet Power or Performance planned series (big block related) to be offered by the specifically selected Dealerships and to be ultimately sold over the parts counters at only like I said, selected qualified outlets. And this list is extensive, and won't be easy for me to type, I will need at least a six pack for that future effort! But I love ya all so much, well most of you!!!!!! And I don't remember where I found it or got it from, or even exactly when I wrote it, but I do have it out now. I don't want to scan it, because I wrote it in the penmanship of a Doctor which is only legitable (I know I spell legitable wrong!) to me. It might have been during the time that I was running from the Law even!!!!!!!! To be posted in the sleeping thread soon for all of you! If anyone cares. ""My newest historical find in my vast collection of endless horde of Corvette stuff and literature etc...

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-29-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Not to be a downer but we aren't taking about an "average" 6 figure car here. The OP is unlikely to be dealing with someone connected to one (but anythinga possible) and I've never heard of anyone just up and deciding to buy one in this generation. If you are a player for an l88, you are probably VERY well heeled and VERY connected to the hobby. This rules me and MOST members here out. Just cashing in a decent retirement for one would be absurd - where would you go with it? Where would you store it? What would the terms of your insurance be? Would you give your lifestyle up to own a car someone else with one can afford along with a few mansions and yachts? And probably a car dealership franchise or thirty?

Again, even our wealthy members would find an L88 out of reasonable reach.
These are 7-digit museum pieces and pretty sure your friend of a friend is mistaken.... If he is not, then if the price is below $100K - I'll go halfies with you to buy it
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 PM
DandyDon
Instructor

Default 67 l-88

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
These are 7-digit museum pieces and pretty sure your friend of a friend is mistaken.... If he is not, then if the price is below $100K - I'll go halfies with you to buy it
Hi Frankie,

As the old adage goes; "if it sounds too good to be true---it probably is".

Even as a guy who should know better, we all hope to find that "super deal" that no one else ever found----hope springs eternal (sucker).

Thanks guys,

Dandy Don
Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default And just because of all of these Gold finding shows on TV

I ran a pan of pay dirt from my own backyard just to make sure I wasn't rich! And I have peeked in all of the neighbors garages when they were open just to make sure the lost 1967 L-88 wasn't in one of them! And even garages of people who aren't neighbors!!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm still looking for the pink '66 Shelby convertible GT-350 Mustang that 'ole Shel' gave to his secretary...
Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default L88

Hi Frankie,

As the old adage goes; "if it sounds too good to be true---it probably is".

Even as a guy who should know better, we all hope to find that "super deal" that no one else ever found----hope springs eternal (sucker).

Thanks guys,

Dandy Don
Dandy there is a real L88 in Cincinnati as part of a private collection. It was on display at Laguna Seca last year. Owner knows what is worth. I am sure TC took a picture or two of it. There is also a perfect replica of one of the race car L88 and I believe it is also in Cincinnati. It was a no sale at an auction a while back.

Last edited by RJ1; 05-29-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:55 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Somewhere I have the list of famous Secretaries, no $hit!

I'm still looking for the pink '66 Shelby convertible GT-350 Mustang that 'ole Shel' gave to his secretary...
Like Traco had Kirby, Yenko at Donna Mae, etc. etc. I probably have the name of Shelby's somewhere!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:54 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I did post up the 7-digit sale last year. And it wasn't a super low 6 digit either! Wow.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Thanks- Dandy Don
Keep in mind as well, that of the original 20, only about 50 remain today...

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 L-88 Question

Old 05-30-2015, 07:28 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

My cousin's girlfriend's uncle's boss has that that convert. Legit.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:51 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I think

Originally Posted by Swept57
My cousin's girlfriend's uncle's boss has that that convert. Legit.
that is the cousin of the uncle's brother, the granfather of the aunt who is the sister of the mother!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:55 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Nope

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Keep in mind as well, that of the original 20, only about 50 remain today...

Good luck... GUSTO

Those are continuation Vins or recreation Vins is how like Shelby was doing it, will be the excuse when some of them finally are caught, like even some on my actual list (sttrrreeeeccccchhhhhhiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggg gggggg the truth)!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-30-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 1967 L-88 Question