C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

327/350hp fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM
Joe65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 327/350hp fan clutch

Had issues with my 65 overheating and couldn't figure out why. Took it to a trusted mechanic who knows c2's and he said the fan clutch is bad. I need input on a good replacement fan clutch. 327/350hp. Non a/c Driver car mostly original..unsure if the bad fan clutch currently on the car is the original or not and if so could it eventually be restored (dont have that kind of $ right now)? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I got mine from NAPA...

As far as rebuilding it, someone else will have to answer that one..
Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Joe - The original style fan clutches available from our vendors like Eaton and Schwitzer (sp?) are a bit pricey but if you're looking for a decent/cheaper substitute, stop by your local parts store (NAPA/Autozone) like Jack mentioned. More than likely they'll see a Hayden version that will work for you.
Was your old fan clutch showing signs of leakage or not engaging when heated up?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Joe65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions..still haven't decided what I want to do as far as ordering parts. I'm no expert on this, I didn't even know how the fan clutches worked until today. He called me this morning and I went down to see the car. He moved the fan blade by hand (engine cold) and said that it was hard to turn..does this sound right?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe65

He moved the fan blade by hand (engine cold) and said that it was hard to turn..does this sound right?
Sounds right for a few revolutions but then it will get easier.

If the clutch is working as it should it will blow a LOT of air if you rev the engine and feel the air flow when it is hot.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:09 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Had issues with my 65 overheating and couldn't figure out why. Took it to a trusted mechanic who knows c2's and he said the fan clutch is bad. I need input on a good replacement fan clutch. 327/350hp. Non a/c Driver car mostly original..unsure if the bad fan clutch currently on the car is the original or not and if so could it eventually be restored (dont have that kind of $ right now)? Thanks for the help.
Post pictures of the clutch.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

I purchased a fan clutch at NAPA to continue to drive it, then sent original fan clutch to Dan Kirkconnell, in Florida he specializes in restoring fan clutches, when they are return look like and function like factory original, his email is k3vetteman@msn.com
Roger
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you deem your current fan clutch original, I would rebuild it. Call Dan Kirkconnell. He's done a ton of clutches for me. He stands behind his work and does excellent rebuilds/ restoration.

http://www.kirkconnellcorvettes.com

Best,
Dave
Old 05-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Craftsman51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

X2 for www.kirkconnellcorvettes.com Rebuilt my original fan clutch, looks like new.

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
If you deem your current fan clutch original, I would rebuild it. Call Dan Kirkconnell. He's done a ton of clutches for me. He stands behind his work and does excellent rebuilds/ restoration.

http://www.kirkconnellcorvettes.com

Best,
Dave
Old 05-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Y0GI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions..still haven't decided what I want to do as far as ordering parts. I'm no expert on this, I didn't even know how the fan clutches worked until today. He called me this morning and I went down to see the car. He moved the fan blade by hand (engine cold) and said that it was hard to turn..does this sound right?
Originally Posted by MikeM
Sounds right for a few revolutions but then it will get easier.

If the clutch is working as it should it will blow a LOT of air if you rev the engine and feel the air flow when it is hot.
If the fan blades are hard to turn when cold, and continue to be hard to rotate after a few rotations, You have a fan clutch which is not performing properly, but it should not cause the engine to overheat. It will operate like a solidly coupled fan, which will blow a lot of air regardless of whether the radiator is hot or cold. If this is the case, you need to look elsewhere for your overheating problem, and find another mechanic.

Yogi
Old 05-30-2015, 02:48 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Y0GI
If the fan blades are hard to turn when cold, and continue to be hard to rotate after a few rotations, You have a fan clutch which is not performing properly,
Yogi
I've never seen one that continued to rotate hard but I have seen them that are locked up and they are dangerous. Those can come apart and throw the fan blade off.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Y0GI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I've never seen one that continued to rotate hard but I have seen them that are locked up and they are dangerous. Those can come apart and throw the fan blade off.
Yes, you're right. They can be very dangerous!

And a mechanic that diagnoses a fan clutch by this demonstration could be dangerous to your wallet!

Yogi
Old 05-30-2015, 04:18 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If your car overheats at idle, and cools down at cruise speed.......the problem is most likely the fan clutch. I just replaced mine from Paragon.....it is very close to the original Eaton. If you do purchase it, the spring on the front is set for a C3, which engages the clutch at 195º. Rotate the end of the spring counter-clockwise 180º and install the end in the other mount. The clutch will then engage at 180º temp......https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...utch-unit.aspx

Get notified of new replies

To 327/350hp fan clutch

Quick Reply: 327/350hp fan clutch