C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Master cylinder vents

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 AM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master cylinder vents

I posted earlier about my problem with brake fluid coming out of the 2 vent holes in the master cylinder cap of bro n laws 59.I have since let the level down to half of the reservoir level which is about 1-1/4" below top of MC.I can see that as soon as you touch the brake pedal fluid starts squirting from the small hole in the bottom middle of the reservoir and it squirts right into the top of cap and out of the vents.When I called White Post they told me to be sure that the cap gasket was in place and send it back to them.I don't want to do that unless I have to.If anyone has any other suggestions for why this is happening I sure would appreciate.I'm ready to take a little ride in this thing.Thanks, Eddie
Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Going back to your prior thread, do you have a good brake pedal and does the car stop OK?? If so, Your cap may be the problem.

Can you post a picture of both inside and outside. On an original cast iron metal cap, the inner portion is supposed to have a "hood" that deflects the brake fluid back down in to the reservoir. The vent holes are tiny and above it and should be HORIZONTAL on the flats of the cap nut. Almost impossible for any fluid to get out. Pilot Dan
Old 05-30-2015, 11:04 AM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Going back to your prior thread, do you have a good brake pedal and does the car stop OK?? If so, Your cap may be the problem.

Can you post a picture of both inside and outside. On an original cast iron metal cap, the inner portion is supposed to have a "hood" that deflects the brake fluid back down in to the reservoir. The vent holes are tiny and above it and should be HORIZONTAL on the flats of the cap nut. Almost impossible for any fluid to get out. Pilot Dan
Thanks a lot Pilot Dan,The first time I took that cap off several months ago I pulled out a mangled up piece of metal from the cap,put it in a box and forgot about it.I'm not sure how it is supposed to go but I straightened it up where it could fit in cap and put it on and no leakage.I have always had a good pedal and good brakes.I wish someone could post a pic of the way it is supposed to go it cap.Thanks a lot, looks like I may take a little ride anyway.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:04 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Correct!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Here you go :

If yours is really mangled, replacements are available.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Here you go :

If yours is really mangled, replacements are available.

Thanks for the pic,thats the way I have in there and appears that it should stay in place.Thanks again, Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Master cylinder vents

Quick Reply: Master cylinder vents