C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

need new front end on 66, hand laminated or press molded??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:57 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default need new front end on 66, hand laminated or press molded??

I got into slight front wreck last week, just bad enough I need to replace front end. Which way do I go, hand laminated (cheaper) or Press molded?
My car is a driver with not much anything original, pure wonderful driver with late motor and overdrive. I'm actually thinking of going to 67 front end to match BB 67 hood. That'll leave the kids scratching their heads and thinking "what the hell was he thinking?" LOL.
Like 67 look better and I'm keeping this car till the end as I drive the hell out of it and still win show awards.
So I'm not to concerned about originality at all. I heard from one local corvette guy that some one pc front ends used to be hard to get paint to stick. Looking for advice and experience please. thanks, chuck
Old 06-06-2015, 01:01 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Normally I prefer the jig assembled press molded nose, but in your case, the land laid should work just fine. This is mainly because of it's effect on resale value. From the sounds of it, your car is never going to be stock, so the hand laid nose shouldn't really effect the future value.

The quality of the press molded parts, is usually little better than the hand laid, if that's a concern. If installed properly, you really shouldn't be able to tell the difference once it is installed.

No matter which way you go, order a nose with the side fender louver panels left off. It's much easier to hang a nose with the sides left off, and then install them afterwards.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:05 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you keep the car a long time or sooner if it is a dark color, expect to block sand and paint the front over if you use a hand laid. The panels get waves in them after some years. Just like boats or any other fiberglass product that is why GM went press mold and then SMC. The fibers stay flat.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

So if someone after you puts in a dated block and parts, they have a NCRS contender or at least a nice car that appears original as a matter of pride. Adds more value to the car, though you don't really care at this point, why devalue the car further?

Too much work to get a handlaid to fit.

HL can look just fine, if given the choice PM would be the best route.

A 66 BB hood would be killer as the 67 hood is as common as feathers on a bird. Whatever floats your boat. easy enough to change the fender panel down the road, again the 65/66 vents look great.

Not to say a fake 67 wouldn't look nice.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:33 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all thoughts and ideas. Still on the fence, I still have a little time yet for decisions. Jeez, it's summer and I was ready to do some long distance cruising, guess I'll write this summer off.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Chuck, tried to pm you. Your box is full.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:33 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
, guess I'll write this summer off.
Me too. Sorry chuck!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

97 CoupeChuck - There's a large number of midyears in the Houston area, probably not a bad idea to ask around to find out who's replaced the front clip on theirs and ask some questions of the owners and also see what the results look like. My 65 Coupe needed a lot of work when I bought it in early '85 and I went with the HL version and am happy with the results. Not sure if back then the Semersheim front end was available but even if it was, I probably couldn't have afforded it.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 07-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Press molded would be my choice. The additional cost in getting a hand laid front end to fit and ready for paint will be a wash at the end of the day.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:53 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Hand laminated front clips don't have bonding strips, so if you get into yet another accident, how are you going to fix it?

Press moulded jig assembled front clips DO have the bonding strips, so if you have another accident, you'd only need to buy that panel ... not an entire new HL clip.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:00 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

btw, no one should buy molded or moldy fiberglass. It's a health hazard.

Get notified of new replies

To need new front end on 66, hand laminated or press molded??

Quick Reply: need new front end on 66, hand laminated or press molded??