C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Two pink leads on 1962 ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Hall1836
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Two pink leads on 1962 ignition switch?

On the back of the ignition switch there are two pink connections, in order for them to be connected across from each other in a straight line is it okay to connect to the "sol" connector? That position was left unused, and one of the pink lines were connect to "Bat". I believe from what I've read here is that the battery connection is left unattached. Iwant to move the pink line from "Bat" to "Sol"?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Hall1836
On the back of the ignition switch there are two pink connections, in order for them to be connected across from each other in a straight line is it okay to connect to the "sol" connector? That position was left unused, and one of the pink lines were connect to "Bat". I believe from what I've read here is that the battery connection is left unattached. Iwant to move the pink line from "Bat" to "Sol"?
As shown in attachment
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1960 Ign Sw Wiring.pdf (196.8 KB, 347 views)
Old 06-06-2015, 08:14 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This is the best picture of the ignition switch installed.
You should be able to figure out where the wires go.
Joe

Old 06-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Hall1836
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, now have mine hooked up as indicated above, seems to work right. Directional signals now don't come on unless car is running, and the brake warning light doesn't come on when I pull the handle up when the car is not running. NOW just hope the wiring is correct, it looks like there's been a lot of patch work done under the dash. Thanks to both of you for the help, new to C1's.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If you have a real mess under there then you might want to get some Dr. Rebuild wiring diagrams and consider a harness replacement as well: http://docrebuild.com/oosoez/8962101.html

At a minimum check out the threads on fuses on here (search for "C1 fuse points') and do what is indicated - with butchered up, old wiring in these lightly fused cars you have a real fire hazard.

Somebody has rerouted turn signal and brake alarm power into the 'running' circuit of the car instead of where they should be so as to operate with key on, motor off.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:22 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Default How about on 58's ?

Can someone please tell me if the ignition switch wiring is the same on 58's as shown in this thread for 60's ?

Thanks-
Old 07-09-2015, 02:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by ryan22
Can someone please tell me if the ignition switch wiring is the same on 58's as shown in this thread for 60's ?

Thanks-
Yes. As shown in this wiring diagram for 58-62 cars
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WiringDiagram58_62.pdf (1.05 MB, 237 views)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:03 PM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Help needed...

So the ignition switch was wired wrong in our 58- a pink wire was on the BAT post and the ACC post was vacant. Still the car started 2 days ago.
Yesterday when i tried to start it i got a click from the solenoid then nothing else. I found the battery was dead, charged it, turned the key and nothing, no click from the solenoid, nothing. The headlights don't even come on. So battery is charged, checked the cables to it-they're good yet the car has absolutley no power.

So where to start ?
Whats best way to test ignition switch - turn key to ON position and check for 12 volts at both sides of ballast resistor ? Do i have to disconnect something from the coil before doing this ?

Whats best way to check solenoid ?

The ignition switch- it does not/wll not tighten down in the dash- when you turn the key the entire switch rotates. The tumbler will even turn to all positions when the key isn't even in - talk about an easy car to steal. I suspect the tumbler was left in the ON position after we ran the car 2 days ago and that killed the battery- or maybe the ignition switch being wired wrong caused that ? Anyway I look forward to the guidance you guys are always so helpful with.

I suppose the points may also be fried if the ignition switch was left powered on ?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan22
Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Fried points, hung starter and even a loosey-goosey ignition switch do not explain the loss of headlights...you've got a bunch of things going on it would seem...

What does your dash ammeter do when you pull the switch to turn on the headlights ?

Get notified of new replies

To Two pink leads on 1962 ignition switch?

Quick Reply: Two pink leads on 1962 ignition switch?