C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's it worth? - '67 L71 non-matching

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:23 AM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it worth? - '67 L71 non-matching

I need some assistance please on understanding the value of this car so that I can put it for sale with an appropriate asking sales price. The car is a ‘67 L71 with non-matching engine currently with a single carb set-up and incorrect paint color. I bought this car in the Clear Lake, CA area in Dec 2013, it had been stored since sometime in 1982 and still has the May 1982 registration tags on the plates. The car has never been owned outside of northern California (currently garaged in Lakeport, CA) and as a result has no rust on the bird cage or frame. The bonding strips are original, untouched and in perfect condition. So since December of ‘13 it has been a continuous effort of rebuilding, cleaning and polishing and now everything works perfectly except for the clock. The car has not been restored, just brought back to original working condition. We were able to salvage the top portion of the tank sheet which shows that it is indeed an L71. Exceptionally clean and never wrecked.

The link below is to a photo gallery has photos of the interior, engine compartment, bird cage, and wheel wells. The first series of wheel well photos appear gold in color due to the poor lighting conditions that we had at the time, the last series show the correct coloration. Drivers side rear are photo numbers 54, 55, 56. Drivers side front are 63, 64. In this area there was a small repair area apparently do to stress on the bumper. Passenger side front are 71, 72. Passenger side rear are 79, 81. (notice correct coloration of the photos). Link: http://pheeperzphotography.shootproo...ew#a_all-mason

I appreciate the knowledge on this forum and your comments would be greatly appreciated so I thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Steve Peek
Attached Images       

Last edited by goestooslow; 06-08-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

"What's it Worth?'' thread in Cars For Sale classifieds... moving to General discussion area.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

40-45k with flares, wrong color and NOM. JMHO
Old 06-08-2015, 07:22 PM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
40-45k with flares, wrong color and NOM. JMHO
Thanks for the feedback Bowtyeguy. -Steve
Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

GoesTooSlow - Can't remember if I saw your Coupe on eBay or Craigslist but was there much interest when you had it listed before?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 PM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vet65te
GoesTooSlow - Can't remember if I saw your Coupe on eBay or Craigslist but was there much interest when you had it listed before?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Hi Mike - I had it on eBay a while ago and it is on the forum listed for $89,500 and have not had much interest. One of the senior members on the forum contacted me and suggested that the price was too high and that I might inquire on the forum what folks thought it was really worth. I would like to sell the car for a fair price. -Steve
Old 06-09-2015, 05:14 PM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by goestooslow
Hi Mike - I had it on eBay a while ago and it is on the forum listed for $89,500 and have not had much interest. One of the senior members on the forum contacted me and suggested that the price was too high and that I might inquire on the forum what folks thought it was really worth. I would like to sell the car for a fair price. -Steve
Anyone else who has experience with a car like this care to chime in regarding the approximate value?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-09-2015, 05:47 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

That's a tough one. Not going to appeal to the purist who is willing to pay top dollar for an original, matching motor, stock body, restored L71. Of course a top condition car like that might be $125 to 150,000 also.

To put the body and paint back stock is probably $20,000. Missing original motor probably takes 25% off the price (I don't really know) of a really nice car. Depending on how clean the chassis and interior really are there could be $10,000 easy on bringing that up to "top condition" or maybe $20,000 if not so clean. So that's $30 to 40k off of $125k, or $85 to 95k. Then 25% off that for non-original motor brings it to about $65 to 70k total in round dollars. And then there is the factor of having to find a buyer willing to do all of this work, versus just buying a "done" car. So, I'm going to say $60,000 to $65,000.

Just speculation - I don't really watch the market that closely.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Steve - No one wants to come across as being too critical on anothers car but I have to agree with Dan, the flares, non-original color and NOM do take away some value from your Coupe. The flares are a personal thing, I like them but even for those of us who do like flares, most would agree that the presence of flares typically lessens the value. Maybe not so much on a more common smallblock Vette but more of a deduction on a Vette that was an L71. I did find your older ad on the Forum and noticed you didn't have any pics of the interior, engine compartment or undercarriage or mention any nice to have options like PS, PB, PW, Leather, Tele Column or Speed Warning. Adding those pics and info might help along with letting prospective buyers know if the trans and differential are still the original items.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 06-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Steve,

I like the car...its looks to be a good driver...clean and straight, and I personally don't mind the flares and don't care about the non-matching motor and paint along with other variations.

However, I think $89.5 is a bit strong for a NOM car, even if it was a real L71 car. This price is at the bottom end of the number matching big block market. The tank sheet validation as a L71 is helpful, but even if you were to put this car completely back to original condition w/ a frame off, correct date coded everything, you still would be challenged to get in the $89.5K range. You'd have that much or more in it, but at that point it would be a clone and you would probably lose money.

Anyway, your target audience is not the guy who wants to justify his decision for not buying a number matching L71 big block, coupe. This person will pick apart the car for everything it isn't...they will critique every aspect of the car that isn't original...they will tell you its worth $40-45K. They are NOT bad people, just looking for something different and entitled to their opinion.

You are looking for a car guy, who wants a 67 coupe w/big block, but can't afford the number matching examples (who can?), who appreciates a clean, NO RUST, straight, quality driver, who loves to tinker and doesn't worry so much about the numbers/NCRS side of things. I think this person would be willing pay $55-60K.

BTW: Do you have the L71 tri-carb intake and carbs? That would help the price a bit...I think that setup by itself can bring north of $5K depending on condition.

That is what I think.

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited by Crunch527; 06-09-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I do agree it looks like a pretty nice, clean car. Always hard to judge from a limited number of pictures but it looks nice which always helps. I would certainly not run it down. My own NOM L72 car is pretty much the same thing except without the flares and having received a body off re-finishing.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 AM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Dan/Mike/Frank - Thank you all for taking the time to provide me some valuable feedback, it is truly appreciated. -Steve
Old 06-10-2015, 07:55 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A #4 car on Hagerty is at $97,000.

I'm not sure where that puts your car though. These car have taken a huge hit in the last ten years. In 2007 this car would have been worth $150,000 +.

Richard Newton
Buying a Car in Monterey
Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 AM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rfn026
A #4 car on Hagerty is at $97,000.

I'm not sure where that puts your car though. These car have taken a huge hit in the last ten years. In 2007 this car would have been worth $150,000 +.

Richard Newton
Buying a Car in Monterey
Yes, the Hagerty valuation thing is a bit confusing because they must be using real numbers from somewhere not making them up out of thin air. Weird. Thanks Richard.

-Steve
Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The problem with the Hagerty data for a big block midyear, is that there is no differentiation for cars with born-with engines versus the proliferation of re-stamped engines. If you look at the data set, there are a few big-$$$ transactions on impeccable cars skewing it upward.

Based on their figures, my 435 convertible would be $237K. If someone was willing to pay me that, not only would it be sold immediately, but I would throw in a C6 for free!

In my opinion, the flares diminish appeal and hurt value much more than the NOM. I watch the market on these cars closely. A real 435 coupe with a tank sticker to prove, good cosmetics, and correct but non-original engine, will bring around $120K. Work backward from there to estimate this car.

Last edited by SupremeDeluxe; 06-10-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

The published values for 435s also typically don't include color as a driver in the cost equation - it is. Black cars are typically worth the most. Then red cars, then silver, then the various blues, then the whites and yellows, with green being the least valuable. Even for black cars, those with blue stingers (driven by interior color) are worth more than red stingers, which are worth more than the rest (like white for example).
Old 06-10-2015, 02:07 PM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
The problem with the Hagerty data for a big block midyear, is that there is no differentiation for cars with born-with engines versus the proliferation of re-stamped engines. If you look at the data set, there are a few big-$$$ transactions on impeccable cars skewing it upward.

Based on their figures, my 435 convertible would be $237K. If someone was willing to pay me that, not only would it be sold immediately, but I would throw in a C6 for free!

In my opinion, the flares diminish appeal and hurt value much more than the NOM. I watch the market on these cars closely. A real 435 coupe with a tank sticker to prove, good cosmetics, and correct but non-original engine, will bring around $120K. Work backward from there to estimate this car.
So estimating the following: Remove flairs and correct paint is approx $20K, adding tri-power is approx $5K, making interior and other misc top notch approx $10K and the car should be worth in the neighborhood of $85k but probably closer to the lower numbers that others have suggested. I figured having a tank sheet showing that it is an L71 carried more weight that it seems to. It almost feels like there is no positive consideration for that.

What do you all think?

-Steve

Get notified of new replies

To What's it worth? - '67 L71 non-matching

Old 06-10-2015, 02:16 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by goestooslow
So estimating the following: Remove flairs and correct paint is approx $20K, adding tri-power is approx $5K, making interior and other misc top notch approx $10K and the car should be worth in the neighborhood of $85k but probably closer to the lower numbers that others have suggested. I figured having a tank sheet showing that it is an L71 carried more weight that it seems to. It almost feels like there is no positive consideration for that.

What do you all think?

-Steve
There is major upside to the tank sheet proving it was an L-71. Otherwise, we would be taking deductions against a much lower figure for the restored car.

I may have missed it, what engine is in the car now? Unless it's a date-correct L-71 motor, that needs to be factored in. Putting a complete L-71 engine together from air cleaner to oil pan is EXPENSIVE (from personal experience).
Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Really? Why is it that people always appraise the value of a Corvette by how much it costs to restore? I saw an episode of Chasing Classics once where this older lady had an old Jaguar XKE roadster. The late husband had intended to restore it, so had dissembled the entire car. When she asked Wayne how much it was worth, he gave her an idea of how much labor alone would cost to reassemble it, add on top of that a full restoration, and he told her the car was worth nothing since the resale was less than the restoration cost. How could a Jaguar XKE roadster be worth nothing?

So the real question should be how much is someone willing to pay for this '67 coupe with non-original L71 with flares? Well, that's like asking how long is a piece of string. If the right guy who loves those flares, color, the non-original L71, then he might have to have it more than the other guy who wants it. Or, if you get a room full of restorers who do it for a business, you'll get a fraction of that.

My point, put it up to auction with a low reserve of $60,000 - $70,000 or more if you want more.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:24 PM
goestooslow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
There is major upside to the tank sheet proving it was an L-71. Otherwise, we would be taking deductions against a much lower figure for the restored car.

I may have missed it, what engine is in the car now? Unless it's a date-correct L-71 motor, that needs to be factored in. Putting a complete L-71 engine together from air cleaner to oil pan is EXPENSIVE (from personal experience).
The engine is a '68 427. -Steve

Quick Reply: What's it worth? - '67 L71 non-matching