C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Glove Box lock removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Moleyman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Glove Box lock removal

I restoring my 1957 Corvette, and I ran into a problem with removing the lock from the glove box. I have new locks for the car, and I need to do some bodywork on the glove box. Can someone tell me how to remove the lock from the glovebox when I do not have the key.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moleyman
I restoring my 1957 Corvette, and I ran into a problem with removing the lock from the glove box. I have new locks for the car, and I need to do some bodywork on the glove box. Can someone tell me how to remove the lock from the glovebox when I do not have the key.
Thanks,
Pat
If you do not have the key, there is a way to open the glovebox...but it may take a little patience. The moveable lock mechanism is attached to the door itself, and it just hooks under the small,thin metal catch. I have used a thin piece of plastic (for example, cut a piece 1" x 6" out of the side of an old prestone anti freeze container, but anything similar will do) and slide the one inch side down between the door and glovebox surround just where the lock is, and the door will pop right open. Do not use a credit card, it is too stiff. Hope this helps, and avoids unnecessary damage...
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Moleyman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFBillysCor
If you do not have the key, there is a way to open the glovebox...but it may take a little patience. The moveable lock mechanism is attached to the door itself, and it just hooks under the small,thin metal catch. I have used a thin piece of plastic (for example, cut a piece 1" x 6" out of the side of an old prestone anti freeze container, but anything similar will do) and slide the one inch side down between the door and glovebox surround just where the lock is, and the door will pop right open. Do not use a credit card, it is too stiff. Hope this helps, and avoids unnecessary damage...
I already have the glovebox door removed from the car. I need to remove the lock from the door so I can do the bodywork on the glovebox door. The lock is easy to remove if you have the key. I need to know if there is a way to remove the lock without using the key. I will be replacing the lock cylinder, but re-using the lock housing.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:27 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Then take it to an 'old timer' locksmith, once he gets it removed he can cut an "original key" for your lock...

Get notified of new replies

To Glove Box lock removal

Quick Reply: Glove Box lock removal