C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Mufflers for my Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Be prepaired to have the aftermarket mufflers custom attached as most of them are universal in fit...That means if your without a tubing bender or friend with a muffler shop they are not going to fit without some extra adjustments and tube bending:
You are correct for me on my Magnaflows. The left side muffler had the out pipe pointed too far up. I had to cut a section out and re-weld. Still not happy with it completely but this was my only disappointed. Save your box until you try them on?

Steve
Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 PM
BigT-65
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I went on CC's website to compare Magnaflows and N11s. The description for Magnaflows says, "The Aluminized, all welded straight-through design" and "There are no chambers, no baffles and no louvers to restrict exhaust flow. You get wide open performance from Magnaflow." If there is nothing inside these mufflers aren't they going to be pretty loud? The ones in the videos didn't sound like they were straight through. Anyone have an opinion?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:06 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

I don't remember looking through them but they are not loud.

Steve
Old 06-27-2015, 11:02 PM
BigT-65
Racer

Originally Posted by C2Racer
I don't remember looking through them but they are not loud.

Steve
If they are not that loud there's got to be something inside of them. Is it a perforated pipe or what?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:06 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Google the Magnaflow web site. It explains all about their inner construction. I have a set (actually 2, my car and truck) and no, they're not too loud. Nice deep tone at idle, throaty on acceleration but plenty quiet enough for cruising.

Gary
Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM
BigT-65
Racer

OK, I've made up my mind. I am going to order the Magnaflows today. I appreciate all the help and opinions I got from the forum. It's great
Old 06-29-2015, 10:30 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT-65
OK, I've made up my mind. I am going to order the Magnaflows today. I appreciate all the help and opinions I got from the forum. It's great
Thanks for the business!

If you're curious about our muffler construction still, the stainless straight-through core is perforated and wrapped with stainless mesh, then the remaining muffler body is filled with sound absorption material. It's surprisingly effective at reducing sound without creating additional backpressure.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Magna_Flow
Thanks for the business!

If you're curious about our muffler construction still, the stainless straight-through core is perforated and wrapped with stainless mesh, then the remaining muffler body is filled with sound absorption material. It's surprisingly effective at reducing sound without creating additional backpressure.

Nice! So what's your part number for an OEM style direct fit replacement for a '67 small block?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Nice! So what's your part number for an OEM style direct fit replacement for a '67 small block?
Good question. We don't have a cat-back or direct-fit exhaust system for the C2 and I don't have the C2 exhaust dimensions anywhere that I know of, but if you can get height, width, and length of the muffler with a pipe diameter, I'd bet we can find something that will fit.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:07 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Here are the mufflers alone at Corvette Central.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50b&ukey=37334

Steve
Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Faslane
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the off-road from Allans, I started it up, reved it, shut it off and ordered some Magnaflows, If you got a Harley with straight pipes dont mess with the off road and N11 stuff. I just went through the extract same thing you are going through.

I have a 79 C10 with a old and wore out 305 with 8.5:1 compression, Its got Magnaflows, I get compliments of how it sounds.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM
19sleepy65
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default mufflers

I have a brand new set of Allens I purchased many years ago still in the original boxes. Would sell very reasonable. If you have any interest let me know, just collecting dust in my garage!!
Thanks,
Frank
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 AM
BigT-65
Racer

My new Magnaflows will be delivered tomorrow. Am I going to have to take out the spare and the carrier to get these mufflers changed out? Anything else I should watch out for? I am going to have to wait until after the 4th of July weekend, but I am anxious to get them on.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:20 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

You should not have to do that but....the old mufflers maybe pretty stuck to the exhaust pipe and bent into an oval from the clamp. So when beating them apart be careful you don't hit the spare tire tub and split it. Seen that happen. Spray it down with WD40 or better heat it up with a torch to get them apart. Be careful with that torch too!

Steve
Old 07-03-2015, 05:35 PM
BigT-65
Racer

Originally Posted by C2Racer
You should not have to do that but....the old mufflers maybe pretty stuck to the exhaust pipe and bent into an oval from the clamp. So when beating them apart be careful you don't hit the spare tire tub and split it. Seen that happen. Spray it down with WD40 or better heat it up with a torch to get them apart. Be careful with that torch too!

Steve
Gotcha. The Magnaflows just arrived. They look like they are a little smaller than the ones that are in there. I don't know about getting the old ones off, but the new ones should go in pretty easy.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:10 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Gotcha. The Magnaflows just arrived. They look like they are a little smaller than the ones that are in there. I don't know about getting the old ones off, but the new ones should go in pretty easy.
Our mufflers are usually pretty direct fits, but if you have any trouble give our Tech Support line a ring: 1-800-8248664. I believe they're out tomorrow and Sunday, but they'll be there at 7 a.m. PT on Monday.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Which Magnaflow part number did you order?

Get notified of new replies

To New Mufflers for my Corvette

Old 07-11-2015, 12:28 PM
BigT-65
Racer

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Which Magnaflow part number did you order?

I got the ones from Corvette Central.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:52 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Magna_Flow
Thanks for the recommendation. Was going to poke in here, but I think the general description of our mufflers' sound from our website's FAQs really sums up what you'll get nicely:

Hope that helps the OP!
So every time I show up at a Magna-Flow tent at any car function they don't have a set up for C2s. They have offered a "universal" set of pipes that the buyer can "make work" from the parts included.

Question is, has anybody ever put that kit to the test? It seems impossible to to take the limited number of pipes included and make it work for the number of awkward bends under the C2.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:25 PM
BigT-65
Racer

I got the Magnaflows installed Saturday about 4 PM, just in time for the everyday rain storm. (Florida) So I had to wait until about 9 to try them out on the road. You cannot make a judgment about these mufflers listening to them in the garage or on YouTube. You have to get them out on the road where you can get down on it and go through the gears. Even from the driver's seat in a convertible they sounded great. I like 'em. The sound even mixes in well with my stereo. Until you punch it under load they have a mellow rumble. I would recommend Magnaflows for a 327/300 engine. The CC version bolted right in. The mufflers themselves were about 3 inches shorter than the stock ones so I was worried about them fitting in right. As it turned out the inlet pipe was longer on the Magnaflows and they fit perfectly. The only problem I had was that I spent about an hour trying to get the first old one out without taking the hanger out of the car first.
I appreciate all the help I got from the forum on this decision.

Quick Reply: New Mufflers for my Corvette