C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

If you were to go EFI, how would you do it? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:03 PM
V1Rotate
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Default If you were to go EFI, how would you do it? Why?

I'm going to do this to my 64, but I'm going back and forth with various options and figured I'd throw it out there since many have done this mod in every way that it can be done!

I'm considering the full on LS swap with a trans to boot as a takeout unit, but I'd like to hear about why others went with FAST, Mass-Flo, Edelbrock, etc.

I have done an LS swap in another vehicle, so I know what's all involved with the parts and such. I'd just like to hear from those who've done it as to why they went the way they did. What persuaded you to go with your chosen kit/mod/swap? And if you were to go back, would you do it another way?

Thanks men/women/others! Let the "I'd stick with a carburetor..." and "I know you didn't ask this, but I'm giving my opinion on something not related here anyway since it's a forum..." replies start a flowing!!!

Cheers
Old 06-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I thought it would be hard to justify the expense; I looked at it closely for my '67 Chevelle and it would include a return line and a modified tank (the original tank is quite shallow) and then, to do it right and get spark control - it needed a whole ignition upgrade. I was looking at well over $3K -- couldn't see it.

Now, I saw a '64 Corvette with the Holley EFI recently and the fella raved about it (but he is very rich)...
Old 06-28-2015, 05:43 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I've looked at them for years and cannot justify the expense or the tuning issues with the computer and such and running a return line back to the tank. My 650 DP works fine with no issues at all.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:55 PM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

a return line to the tank ? why is that such a big deal ? corvette fuel filter redirects it back to the tank. I have both systems Ls3 and 8 stack hilborn running fast system. they are both good ls3 is a plug and play ,8 stack little more tweaking but way cool to look at
Old 06-28-2015, 06:06 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

depends what you are trying to accomplish. here was my approach, AND it is VERY expensive if you don't have some parts to start with... $5K - $7k.

(and it works very well... )
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2015, 06:50 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The vast majority of people who think efi is too much work/money/trouble/ etc are people who have never used efi. I will never go back to carb. nor would I go back to a non overdrive trans. the tuning is a non issue with a stock or mild efi swap engine, and the cost doesn't have to be that high either. like anything else, it can be as expensive or cheep as you want it to be, or your skills allow.
I'm not convinced that the efi kits they sell for Gen 1 engines are worth it…. yet. but any decent LS LT or TPI engine/trans is a great way to go right now for a swap. low mile donor vehicles are getting quite cheep these days.

90 Vette donor: L98 TPI - 6 speed in a 62'

Last edited by MrPbody; 06-28-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
depends what you are trying to accomplish. here was my approach, AND it is VERY expensive if you don't have some parts to start with... $5K - $7k.

(and it works very well... )
Bill
Old 06-28-2015, 06:57 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

5 to 7K is a lot of dough, I built the complete engine pan to carb for less. I'm sure I would like it though. I'm going for A/C first.

Last edited by MasterDave; 06-28-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MasterDave
5 to 7K is a lot of dough, I built the complete engine pan to carb for less. I'm sure I would like it though. I'm going for A/C first.
And then there are those who have sunk that kind of money into the conversion and, of course, feel compelled to say its the greatest thing since sliced bread and after all is said and done you still have the same distribution system as the carb (intake manifold). Its an individual decision and I think some of the issues are significant; I also don't like many of the vendors ploy of making buyers thing this is a simple 'bolt something on the intake and go'. Its not
Old 06-28-2015, 07:48 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Add the aftermarket EFI along with the Pertronix and you have a total mightmare trying to get the old plug running again when it breaks down on you. Especially if you are one of those that struggle to change spark plugs or adjust a carburetor.

On the other hand, if you have money to pee away, it's hard to beat the driveability of a real, modern port injection system. And I don't mean the systems that feed off a carb manifold into a throttle body.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
And then there are those who have sunk that kind of money into the conversion and, of course, feel compelled to say its the greatest thing since sliced bread and after all is said and done you still have the same distribution system as the carb (intake manifold). Its an individual decision and I think some of the issues are significant; I also don't like many of the vendors ploy of making buyers thing this is a simple 'bolt something on the intake and go'. Its not
Frank
I have had mechanical FI all my corvette life and it just got to the point that it wasn't worth the hassle with ethanol gas, so I went to what you see in order to maintain the look and get some civility.

maybe I was lucky, but it works...
Bill
Old 06-28-2015, 08:07 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Since you are gathering information...

I suggest that you peruse the C3 forum and perhaps post the same inquiry. Much of what folks have experienced with C3 cars will be applicable.

Steve
Old 06-28-2015, 08:24 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with a LS1 and 6 speed in my 64, easy decision because my car came without a drivetrain. I bought a low mileage LS1 and 6 speed for 5K complete drop out with wiring and computer. Not really more than building a gen 1 small block and trans. Once you drive a LS swap in an old car you will be hooked, the driveability and even torque band are a lot of fun.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:45 PM
V1Rotate
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys. I did look at the setup by Arizona Speed and Marine, which is pretty sharp. Some interesting banter. I agree with the comment about once you drive a classic with an EFI setup you won't go back to carb. I know we all have our opinions on EFI, but it's good to hear those that have done it and what road they took. I'm still leaning on a full LS takeout. Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by V1Rotate
Thanks guys. I did look at the setup by Arizona Speed and Marine, which is pretty sharp. Some interesting banter. I agree with the comment about once you drive a classic with an EFI setup you won't go back to carb. I know we all have our opinions on EFI, but it's good to hear those that have done it and what road they took. I'm still leaning on a full LS takeout. Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers
FWIW... unless AZ&M has changed something, their EFI only fits vortec heads.
Bill
Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Like I did. Install a GM performance LS3 comes with fuel injection.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I put GM TPI on my 63. Worked well just as if the car was a factory C4. If I were to build another car I would go with an LS engine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 06-29-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To If you were to go EFI, how would you do it? Why?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
Like I did. Install a GM performance LS3 comes with fuel injection.

A LS3 with FI is "absolutely the best way" to go with "fuel injection" in a midyear or a C1 in my opinion...unless you have some vintage FI stuff like WMF2 (Bill) did to start with. The new technology is "great" with these engines.

The above is the best answer for the question the OP posted ...so please stop right there.

The rest is just the meanderings of and "old school car guy" with nothing better to do....LOL. and is completely off topic.

But after the LS/FI install..you would want a aftermarket frame/chassis..and a, and a...

Fortunately I drove a few LS restomods and bought a new Challenger before I could get to the "LS point of no return" on my '61. There just isn't the same "giddy fun feeling" that the muscle generation of cars had for me..

I "really tried to go the LS/FI" route...but just couldn't do it in the end on my '61.

I was and still am part of the muscle car generation. I was garage owner during over 20 of those years so I know carburetors like the back of my hand. I love them, I love the way they idle, I love the way they bellow when you hammer down...and I am always disappointed at the look of a LS engine in a 5O plus year old car. (...or big wheels on one either). I like the old school look and sound.

There's some fine examples of the LS restomods on this forum, and I "really can appreciate the cunning and expertise" that it took to build them.

BUT...if I were building a midyear like the OP...I would stick with a mildly modified high performance streetable Corvette like back in the day....including the chassis with power steering, AC and so on. The expensive after market chassis that we see now...were originally for the old 40's chassis technology that the C1 post war Corvettes came with ....and was "definitely" needed.

I really never understood why there was a need for a Custom chassis on the '63 and later Corvette....I thought they drove fine the way they were.

Anyway..I would have to have a big block in a midyear ( I still have 3 big block engines) and I would do every thing that we did back in the day to make it run like a bandit...but still be able to drive it every day.

I really liked the C1's ....and loved the styling enough to choose it for the last big project I'll ever build....but not their antiquated chassis and handling characteristics. I decided that mine had to have an overdrive and a Corvette Correction chassis for me to enjoy it long term. This also enabled me to keep the vintage appearance, and a mouse motor that was similar to the ones that cruised the streets for decades.

Those mildly cammed engines still trip my trigger "every time I hear one". No music on the planet is better than that to me.

However it still doesn't hurt to have the Beach Boys playing with the top down, as you rumble down the boulevard on a Saturday night. It's just as "cool" now as it was back then...to "every generation" and especially to those that aren't fortunate enough to own one.

I'm not sure about how I would describe the new fast LS cars...or the really fast LS restomods...they are sooo dangerously fast....totally under control one minute, and totally beserk when you cross that certain threshold the next.

The big horsepower old school cars...were kind of in a "controlled, out of control situation". But it was predictable...which is what I liked about those beast. It was sooo much fun...that I just can't give up that feeling in any street car I've built.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 06-30-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Quick Fuel EFI!

I haven't seen a C2 or C3 owner report on the Quick Fuel EFI system, so I keep hoping someone will go for it! They entered the TBI conversion market after many of the others, so maybe they learned something from the user reports on earlier systems. Their carbs seem to get pretty high praise here.

Steve
Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I have custom sequential port injection EFI built on a Vic Jr (short) manifold with MSD throttle body and accel brain.

An electric carb will cure cure heat soak issues and perc, but doesn't offer all the advantages of port EFI. It is obviously easier to install, and less expensive.

You can tailor your AFR to the gnats ***, for performance AND fuel economy, esp with seq port, and those have individual cylinder trim options, also.

You don't have to screw around with dizzy adv weights and springs,and can get your spark curve dialed in exactly, which often means non linear curves that a mech adv can't do. You can program in synthetic vacuum advance for part throttle economy.

If you need to change something, just hook up your laptop and change it.

I do suggest spending $400-$500 to have your car chassis dyno tuned by a pro. Even though most newer EFI brains will follow an AFR map, you really do need to know from a dyno where that AFR needs to be at WOT; I have my EFI set up to follow the injector pulse time program at WOT, not rely on the O2 sensor and AFR map like it does at cruise.

Doug

Quick Reply: If you were to go EFI, how would you do it? Why?