C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ididit Steering Column length?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ididit Steering Column length?

Anyone have an Ididit steering column for a 1958-1962 ya could measure? Need the measurement from the end of the shaft to the edge of the bell.

I have one part#1010720010 from Ididit and it sure seems its about 1" too short….

I am using an Art Morrison frame with power rack and when I install it the rod hits solid against the headers and is off to the side - not centered coming thru the firewall….

I am emailing Ididit to see if they sent the wrong column or maybe mine is too short…

Thanks in advance
Old 11-27-2015, 09:27 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Vet
Anyone have an Ididit steering column for a 1958-1962 ya could measure? Need the measurement from the end of the shaft to the edge of the bell.

I have one part#1010720010 from Ididit and it sure seems its about 1" too short….

I am using an Art Morrison frame with power rack and when I install it the rod hits solid against the headers and is off to the side - not centered coming thru the firewall….

I am emailing Ididit to see if they sent the wrong column or maybe mine is too short…

Thanks in advance
I am looking at this same column for my 62 with a after market SRlll chassis did this Ididit column fit your car?
Would it be better if this column was longer than the 36" they advertise
POL has them on sale with 10% Nov 27 ONLY !!!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:41 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I ran into a similar problem when I did my ’59. I used an Ididit steering column with a C4 rack and pinion front end. The steering shaft had to fit between two of the exhaust header primary tubes, so the length of the column was critical. Initially I had a stock Ididit column. I believe it was the “stock” length that Ididit sells for C1’s - not sure what the exact length was though. This column was not quite long enough so I purchased a column extension adaptor that Ididit sells, this extends the column about 2”. The extension worked, but I didn’t like the appearance so I ended up cutting the Ididit column up under the dash so it would not show and extending it the exact amount that I needed. I purchased my column through Billy Dawson and I think he told me after I already fixed mine, that Ididit will make a column any length you want. I can measure my column, but I doubt it would be the length that you need. If you are interested (and if I can find it) I will send you the adapter.
Below is a picture of my finished column and the column adaptor.
Charles
Attached Images   

Last edited by cbernhardt; 11-27-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added picture
The following users liked this post:
58neverending (12-05-2020)
Old 11-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ididit column

Originally Posted by solidaxel
I am looking at this same column for my 62 with a after market SRlll chassis did this Ididit column fit your car?
Would it be better if this column was longer than the 36" they advertise
POL has them on sale with 10% Nov 27 ONLY !!!
I ordered a custom IDIDIT column (longer) from Billy at Corvette Corrections in Texas - worked great...
Old 11-28-2015, 09:46 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

I ordered a custom IDIDIT column (longer) from Billy at Corvette Corrections in Texas - worked great...
Do you happen to remember what the length was?

I talked to Flaming River guy last weekend at the G Guys in Snottsdale and he said it was just a "tube" and they could make it any length I wanted, just call Brett Domin at F River
Old 11-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I too decided that was the best option back when I researched it . Mine fits perfect..and the dimensions in relation to the headers are critical.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 11-29-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:27 AM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
I too decided that was the best option back when I researched it . Mine fits perfect..and the dimensions in relation to the headers are critical.
I used an Ididit column as well, but don't know the exact length. I also am running block hugger headers so my linkage runs between the header tube and the upper A arm of the suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To Ididit Steering Column length?

Quick Reply: Ididit Steering Column length?