C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

88-95* degrees outside, took the '62 for a test drive on the fwy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I forgot to mention that with the heads off I was able to run a pipe cleaner style brush down the water passages. I also used solvent and an old can of "Motorshine" I had to soak the pipe brush, then I sprayed the rest down inside the block passages where the heads bolt on. After all that, with the lower block plugs removed, I pressure washed it and a lot more of that black sandy goop came out. Enough to where I had to clear the lower block plugs 2-3 times each to keep the water flowing through because the plugs were stopping up with chunks of that stuff. What a mess.

I covered the top of the short block up the best I could to keep water out of the valley as I blasted it as it would end up in the pan, but when I blasted the extra hole on the driver's side I realized I just shot water in the dip stick hole . I planned on changing the oil anyway, I guess.

Off to church this morning, then back at it.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:20 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Off to church this morning, then back at it.
Throw a little extra in the collection plate this morning, Randy. No sense not covering all the bases. God loves a cheerful giver - especially if he drives a Corvette!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:57 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Here's the update:

Because we were busy yesterday I didn't quite get it finished but today I did. Started it up, adjusted the timing, adjusted the hydraulic valves, idle mixture, etc. Runs great, no leaks except the oil that got on the floor when I was adjusting the valves, sealed up good, no moisture in the oil, clean and dry. I take it for a spin and it's running around 180 on the gauge. I pull up in my driveway, leave it in drive and within about 3 minutes I watched the gauge climb to 220*. A couple more minutes and it's 230*. Highest it got was 235* when it was 67 degrees outside tonight. I back out of the driveway and within a couple miles of driving at 45-50 miles per hour and it's back down to 185*.

Since I was hungry I drove it to Der Weinerschnitezel for some chili cheese dogs with onions and a large diet Coke. While waiting in the drive through at night it climbed to 220*.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-07-2015 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

OK - was this a new Mexican crate motor or has it been heavily bored out ??
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I would be sure your new fan clutch is not defective . The car cools down quickly when off idle and driving. That's indicates not enough air flow to me (even though you have addressed that issues).

Dewiit's radiator is as good as they come so I really doubt that there could be anything there...but all that crap in the engine could have partially stopped up a brand new radiartor I guess..???

...the gunk in the block is the mystery. Why was it there in the first place?? Hmmm..?

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-07-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

...one other thing. There's no chance that the fan was mounted backwards when you changed out the fan clutch is there? I know it's a silly question probably...but it would be easy to do.

See post 14..are your fan blades facing like those in Frankie's photo?

You have made progress with the car operating at only 180 degrees at speed...it had to get better after all the blockage you had.

What we are missing is "why" it had stop leak in it...?? Maybe the fan was mounted backward when the previous owner had it...and he tried to fix the over heating with stop leak, or....(just musing???)

These cars are the pits...with the little radiators..and small grill area...everything has to be right. Any small variance makes a noticeable difference on the gauge. Two variances can easily cause overheating....unlike some of the steel body performance cars with "big" radiators which are much more forgiving.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-07-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

It was brought up a number of posts ago but I didn't see any comment from the OP as to whether the heads were pressure checked or if the head and deck surfaces were checked with a straightedge?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vet65te
It was brought up a number of posts ago but I didn't see any comment from the OP as to whether the heads were pressure checked or if the head and deck surfaces were checked with a straightedge?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
No they weren't pressure checked... but he didn't say if he checked the deck with a straight edge.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I had a pesky overheat problem for years, and one which was solved by accident. Seems that someone installed hardened exhaust seats and they were all 4 weeping on the left bank. Showed up in a pressure test years later.

At this point, I think that the OP's problem is:

1. Clogged radiator.
2. Fan installed backwards.
3. Inop fan clutch
4. Missing lower shroud seal
5. Too many gaps between rad and shroud.

* Remote possibility of inop tstat.
** Extreme remote possibility of leaking heads.
Other than the possibility of a backward fan ..All of these have been addressed...he has been very thorough and professional in his approach.

Some of them could be reconsidered.

The heads were removed to check the head gaskets. Extreme blockage was discovered in the water passages....stop leak?? He installed a new Dewitt radiator and new fan clutch early on...but the gunk could have migrated to the new radiator.

When the blockage was discovered and the block passages cleaned...the engine was reassembled without going further with the heads (magnaflux or pressure check). Maybe a bad gamble there..but understandable since the head gaskets were in good shape.

It's a problem...on the peculiar side for sure.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-07-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Not pressure checking the heads was a gamble, now they are still an unknown.
Since this was a Target Engine the seats should be good.
I would test the radiator with a garden hose and a spray mist of cold water on the radiator as it is running hot. If the system is flowing well and the thermostat is working it should pull the temp back down to your thermostat temp in about 2 minutes and keep it there. If it does you have an airflow issue. If it does not pull the heat down you have either a circulation issue or combustion heat maybe exhaust heat entering the cooling system and superheating it.
From post one to the final post the car gets hot idling and cools while driving.
In post one the temps stayed above 200 on the hwy but that was at 95 degree's outside temp. In this final post it ran 185 on the freeway in 65 degree temps while outside air was 65 degree's. Others that drive a C1 can chip in but I believe with an outside air temp of 65 the car should stay at 160, moving or parked and the fan clutch would most likely not come in to play at 65 degrees normally.
Try the water mist test and see what you get. Better park on your lawn as you do this or the Water Waster police might ticket you due to the draught this year in California.
My lawns are brown this year trying to do my part to save water for drinking.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
t..I see that you have a 170 degree thermostat....then later a reference was made to a 160 thermostat.

It is possible that it "never" closes especially when idling. If that is the case the water will just circulate till it gets hot... The thermostat must close so that the water in the radiator has time to cool down.

I would try a 190 or 195 degree thermostat ...just to be sure that the thermostat is closing....and giving the cooling system time to shed the heat.
Stan, please stick to doing whatever you normally do.

Telling people incorrect stuff about heat transfer, is not one of them.

As for me, I spent years doing heat exchanger stuff in the chemical industry, i am a Chemical Engineer, so i do have more than a little idea of what i am talking about.

Randy, if you are getting heating at idling,and it is cooling down at speed, you either do not have enough water flow thru the radiator at idle, or you do not have enough airflow across the radiator.

Since it cools down at speed, you have made a big step forward. I would look for hot/cool spots on the radiator, also, to verify some of that gunk didn't make its way there.

This is easiest with the hood removed, just let the car idle and use your hand to feel the front of the rad. If the rad isn't getting hot, you ahve a water flow problem, if it gets hot in just a narrow flow pattern, you have a radiator clogging issue, if it gets hot all over, you have an air flow problem.

An IR gun can also be used thru the grill, if you don't want to take the hood off.

Doug
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM
hderr
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Randy, I realize you are quite busy with this issue, is there a chance you
might be able to post a couple of pictures of the engine of this naughty boy? Just
curious I guess.
Regards,

Last edited by hderr; 07-07-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Stan, please stick to doing whatever you normally do.

Telling people incorrect stuff about heat transfer, is not one of them.

As for me, I spent years doing heat exchanger stuff in the chemical industry, i am a Chemical Engineer, so i do have more than a little idea of what i am talking about.

Randy, if you are getting heating at idling,and it is cooling down at speed, you either do not have enough water flow thru the radiator at idle, or you do not have enough airflow across the radiator.

Since it cools down at speed, you have made a big step forward. I would look for hot/cool spots on the radiator, also, to verify some of that gunk didn't make its way there.

This is easiest with the hood removed, just let the car idle and use your hand to feel the front of the rad. If the rad isn't getting hot, you ahve a water flow problem, if it gets hot in just a narrow flow pattern, you have a radiator clogging issue, if it gets hot all over, you have an air flow problem.

An IR gun can also be used thru the grill, if you don't want to take the hood off.

Doug
You are exactly right Doug...

My post was totally misstated regarding the thermostats. I've been off in "la la land" fixing I don't know what. I'll correct/delete that. I've been taking some heavy duty pain meds for my back ..and am still about half dingy...Almost like being drunk...but I haven't had a drink in over 20 years. Thanks for pointing out the error....I'm coming around a little bit now.

My apologies to the forum.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-07-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Wow! Lots of replies this morning.

The fan is the right direction. I know because it messes up my hair when I grab the throttle arm on the carb and rev it up.

After I turned it off last night I grabbed my ir gun and shot the radiator. Non conclusive, but I will try shooting when it's hot though the grill. Before I installed the new radiator I had the hoses off the engine and flushed the heck out of it. I discovered the impacted block sealer in the heads and deck when I had the heads off. The steel shim style head gaskets that were on it were sealed up very well. I solvent tested the valve seats and they were basically fine. Using the thicker FelPro blue permatorque head gaskets probably cost me 3/4 of a point in compression over the thinner steel head gaskets.

One thing else I may consider. I initially took the original 5 blade fan off and installed an all steel (not flex) 6 blade fan on I purchased from Summit. I also installed a new Hayden 2747 HD fan clutch on it with the thermal spring turned 180 degrees which routes the fluid in the clutch to the attempted lock up position. Helicopters have two blades. Maybe I'll put the stock 5 blade back on with the original style fan clutch.

I have one of those Home Depot multi spray nozzles that has a fine mist setting so that will be on the menu of things to do today. I have to agree with the small grill opening comments. I have access to a single wire alternator and puller fan if I want to try it but that seems like throwing in the towel. But to be honest after putting that huge front license plate assembly on it looks like it blocked 20% of an already small grill area.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:58 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The grill isn't *that* small.

As I reiterate, my 427 SB has no problems cooling.

As far as small grill, I have seen pics of C1 pro race cars, (leMans or Sebring) with half the grill blocked off to restrict air flow to the engine compartment, probably to keep under hood pressure down at speed.

Do you have the lower baffle (between the lower front valance and radiator support) in place in front of the radiator? Just as curiosity; removing it probably helps air flow at idle, somewhat, but will reduce airflow across the radiator at speed, unless you have an air dam under the radiator support

Doug
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I'm not familiar with a 305 engine but my post earlier today concerning the engine having been bored out went unanswered. Engines that have been heavily bored out can have a tendency to run hot...
Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm not familiar with a 305 engine but my post earlier today concerning the engine having been bored out went unanswered. Engines that have been heavily bored out can have a tendency to run hot...
In the middle of this thread it was reported that this was a 350 not a 305 and that it is a Target Engine. Target Engines were GM brand new engines sold at the GM Dealerships. Bore should be std bore. These were very popular for while. Less than $1,500 for a brand new from GM engine with warranty they were not a rebuild. All parts were new. They were made in Mexico as I recall.

Get notified of new replies

To 88-95* degrees outside, took the '62 for a test drive on the fwy

Old 07-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I corrected my original post from 305 to 350 cubic inches. I didn't check the bore when it was apart. Some of the small blocks had siamezed bores so the area between the cylinders can get very thin. This had plenty of meat between bores and it had dished flat top pistons.

I was told by a corvette dealer that adding an electric fan to a C1 doesn't really help like you would think it would.

This afternoon I'll try posting pictures.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-07-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
In the middle of this thread it was reported that this was a 350 not a 305 and that it is a Target Engine. Target Engines were GM brand new engines sold at the GM Dealerships. Bore should be std bore. These were very popular for while. Less than $1,500 for a brand new from GM engine with warranty they were not a rebuild. All parts were new. They were made in Mexico as I recall.
Got it - thanks. Missed the 305-to-350 correction...
Old 07-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Right. The heads under the valve covers say something like "Hauncho de Mexico." It seems like a good quality piece.

Quick Reply: 88-95* degrees outside, took the '62 for a test drive on the fwy