C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

One 58 Convertible Top - Heading For Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One 58 Convertible Top - Heading For Garbage

Well i tried installing my convertible top and failed. One Robbins convertible top heads to the garbage. I followed the Al Knoch video, but you can't use this video with a Robbins top,,,I should have purchased an Al Knoch top with the video. Robbins supplied no installation instructions and never even bothered to respond to my emails. The Al Knoch top is best suited with the video. The Robbins top is much different and far cheaper in quality.

Oh well...i tried , I failed and I learned.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:43 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I bet your next install looks beautiful
Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1589964034]"to the 2 X 4 trick to get the 'throw' right when the top is latched".

Frankie,
Can you elaborate on this?
I put my own top on using Al's video and it came out very nice.
Joe

Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You aren't the average Joe, Joe, putting on one of these tops. You've been around the cars a long time. I'm not saying you HAVE to know all the tips to do a good job...they make life easier, with less mistakes, and, fewer new top material thrown in the trash.

I deleted my post -- I don't even want to get into it here....I sent you a PM on the 2 x 4 tip....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-02-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:07 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=plaidside;1589964227]
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
"to the 2 X 4 trick to get the 'throw' right when the top is latched".

Frankie,
Can you elaborate on this?
I put my own top on using Al's video and it came out very nice.
Joe

Very nice install. I admire all the DIY folks involved with these cars or any project for that matter. Like all "new to us" projects, up front research and study pays off. Patience is key for every task at hand and that includes prior to start Homework. Also, it's refreshing to see a Post admitting a mistake so that someone else can learn from it. IMO this has been a valuable thread. Al W.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

After all the aggravation I've been through on my '58 interior I wouldn't even attempt my own soft top.

I've decided that interiors might be the most difficult thing to work on. I'm an expert on brakes and I can talk suspension all day long. It take me hours to get the kick panels installed and and NCRS judge would fall down laughing at the installation.

Dont' even get me started on the door panels.

Richard Newton
Protecting Your Cars
Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rfn026
After all the aggravation I've been through on my '58 interior I wouldn't even attempt my own soft top.

I've decided that interiors might be the most difficult thing to work on. I'm an expert on brakes and I can talk suspension all day long. It take me hours to get the kick panels installed and and NCRS judge would fall down laughing at the installation.

Dont' even get me started on the door panels.

Richard Newton
Protecting Your Cars
Dash pads, soft tops and seats in C1s are ego-busters.. I had no issue with kick panels/door panels. I put my 61 dash pad in without any instructions whatsoever; came out OK NOT perfect.

Afterwards I watched the AK video on dash pad installation. I laughed out loud and turned it off 1/2 way through - there is no way I could do the job to my standards with just that information.

That's my point.

Get notified of new replies

To One 58 Convertible Top - Heading For Garbage

Quick Reply: One 58 Convertible Top - Heading For Garbage