C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

No fuel on initial startup

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Dave Cunningham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default No fuel on initial startup

I just posted this on my other thread , but that one is getting pretty long an probably a lot of people won't look at it. I fired up my solId lifter 427 today ( apparently I am not supposed to call it an L71 for some reason) and I can keep it running by dumping fuel down the vent tube, but it is not sucking any fuel from the tank, I have had it running for a few minutes but the line is bone dry, I installed a new fuel sender / pickup , and the motor is fresh with a brand new fuel pump, just wondering if you need to prime the system, , when I installed the pump I just stuck it in the block with the gasket and bolted it up, was there any other pieces that should have gone in first?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Is the push rod in there?...

It rides on the cam and pushes the arm on the fuel pump...
Old 07-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Dave Cunningham
Racer

Just got an email from Tom that sold me my tranny, and he asked the same thing, no I did not install ant pushrods , too many things to think about when you only do this once every decade or so, thanks for your response , I am sure that is what it is.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default If it isn't something simple

i can lend you $3 so you can actual put some in the tank!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:51 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave Cunningham
Just got an email from Tom that sold me my tranny, and he asked the same thing, no I did not install ant pushrods , too many things to think about when you only do this once every decade or so, thanks for your response , I am sure that is what it is.
When you put the 'push rod' in there..on the front of the block opposite of the rod, there is 3/4" bolt that needs to come out, put in your rod then put in a longer bolt 1.5" 'slightly tighten' it to hold rod up onto cam....put fuel pump on....NOW TAKE OUT LONGER BOLT PUT BACK IN THE SMALLER BOLT...put some sealant on the bolt to keep it form leaking oil...
Old 07-02-2015, 01:08 AM
Dave Cunningham
Racer

Originally Posted by 66jack
When you put the 'push rod' in there..on the front of the block opposite of the rod, there is 3/4" bolt that needs to come out, put in your rod then put in a longer bolt 1.5" 'slightly tighten' it to hold rod up onto cam....put fuel pump on....NOW TAKE OUT LONGER BOLT PUT BACK IN THE SMALLER BOLT...put some sealant on the bolt to keep it form leaking oil...
Hey 66jack, that is the type of advise I was looking for, as apposed to the dickwad response that was posted just prior, not all of us corvette fanatics are everyday mechanics, but still love to work on our own stuff, thank you!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:20 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Hey 66jack, that is the type of advise I was looking for, as apposed to the dickwad response that was posted just prior, not all of us corvette fanatics are everyday mechanics, but still love to work on our own stuff, thank you!
if your block is red.... use 'red rtv' adhesive...

if your block is black use 'black rtv'....
Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default i thought it was funny! Jack had you covered prior to my joke!

At least i am not the dumb person and especially if you did it more than once, pouring raw fuel into a carb (recipe for disaster being a good way to cause a fire and to damage your engine!!).

Last edited by TCracingCA; 07-02-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
That's only true for a small-block; his big-block doesn't have the shipping bolt in the front to remove and replace - just use a gob of grease to hold the rod up in position.

Get notified of new replies

To No fuel on initial startup

Quick Reply: No fuel on initial startup