C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61-62 radio speaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 AM
keith62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 61-62 radio speaker

My radio speaker has been molested. I have included two pics to show the issue. Can anyone tell me what to do or send me pics of how the speaker is suppose to look? Have a great fourth everyone.Name:  001.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  407.8 KB

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  419.9 KB
Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Molested ??
More like sodomized.

Very ugly hack job; somebody didn't want to add the proper spade connectors for the speaker output and Bubb'ed in some transformer wires to boot. It the speaker works, and you are handy with a soldering iron, you can correct that....PROVIDED you have the correct connector on the other end of those wires to mate up with the speaker connector from the dash harness.

Personally, I would buy a new one from Electro-Tech (and NOBODY else); original radios MUST have that transformer on the speaker and there are a bunch of repros WITH the transformer that look right, but are NOT right !!!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-02-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 PM
keith62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default speaker

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Molested ??
More like sodomized.

Very ugly hack job; somebody didn't want to add the proper spade connectors for the speaker output and Bubb'ed in some transformer wires to boot. It the speaker works, and you are handy with a soldering iron, you can correct that....PROVIDED you have the correct connector on the other end of those wires to mate up with the speaker connector from the dash harness.

Personally, I would buy a new one from Electro-Tech (and NOBODY else); original radios MUST have that transformer on the speaker and there are a bunch of repros WITH the transformer that look right, but are NOT right !!!
Thanks Frank. The speaker does work and i have a new connector coming, so with said what do i have to do? I will also look up Electo-tech.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Well -- this is how it SHOULD look; the problem is if the impedance (load) transformer is shot - then you have a problem..
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 61-62 radio speaker

Quick Reply: 61-62 radio speaker