C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'64 Coupe rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Media blasting always worries me for various reasons.

Walnut, plastic, and other particles concern me in putting tiny dents or pott marks on the surface.
(edit: wanted to add that plastic blasting might create static charge which could be an issue)

Soda blasting accumulates into interior areas that can't be flushed, and then over time absorbs moisture.

I've read about dry ice (CO2) media blasting and am still on the fence.

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 07-07-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 PM
johntony
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 rebuild

I recently restored my 64 coupe, and ended up stripping it down to fibreglas-I found a great product in "PeelAway"-it melts paint and primer down to the 'glass, is not toxic, no fumes, works quick. Getting crazy prices for a paint job, I bought all the equipment and learned to paint.
Lots of trial and error, but came out great, if I say so myself. (It is not a "10 footer")! I laid down gelcoat, All-U Need, and DuPont paint. Proud of it.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:09 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by johntony
I recently restored my 64 coupe, and ended up stripping it down to fibreglas-I found a great product in "PeelAway"-it melts paint and primer down to the 'glass, is not toxic, no fumes, works quick. Getting crazy prices for a paint job, I bought all the equipment and learned to paint.
Lots of trial and error, but came out great, if I say so myself. (It is not a "10 footer")! I laid down gelcoat, All-U Need, and DuPont paint. Proud of it.
I'll definitely check that out. Was it referred to you? Where did you buy it? I'll have to look for some photos of your car!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:17 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Packages keep arriving. I'm excited...

Press molded '63 from Bairs who helped me on some other parts...
Old 07-08-2015, 09:44 PM
johntony
Cruising

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I'll definitely check that out. Was it referred to you? Where did you buy it? I'll have to look for some photos of your car!
Look on the internet for PeelAway paint remover- It's not expensive, and you can get a sample pack to try it. Can't remember how I found it.
I researched a lot of removal methods- one thing though, a Corvette restorer in Cleveland said to keep away from blasting- you'll never get rid of the sand or other medium in all the crevices! I tried the old harsh chemicals, and the fumes nearly decked me.
A razor blade?? Can you imagine going over a whole car, scraping with a razor blade!!?? Not me!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:40 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

John- thanks for the peel away info. I've been reading about it and it looks like there are several types. Did you use "1?"

Other updates-

I machine stripped my bonding seems where I could reach with the orbital. Looks like it has not only some filler but the strip may have been very lightly glassed over, I'm wondering if the panel was replaced before. I know the tail has had a little work so I won't be surprised. Removing the quarter doesn't look bad except my new friend Seth at luckys has cautioned me the portion by the valence can be tricky to remove. I can see that being the most tedious part. Still, I'm pleased! More portions of the lower still being revealed.

Progress shot-
Old 07-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah buddy!

Id seriously look into the dry ice blasting. You'll have a roached quarter panel and door you can have the shop practice on. You will get dust in the interior, but you should be able to tape off the inside with plastic sheet to keep paint dust down. Ask for references.

As far as the razor blade on lacquer, slow even strokes and changing the blade often, it goes pretty smooth, no different really than using chemicals except they might use a wider blade to scrape up the gunk on the flat areas. You have a lot of curves there, it'll be mostly using a standard putty knife, which isn't that much wider than a razor blade.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Auto Gear
Yeah buddy!

Id seriously look into the dry ice blasting. You'll have a roached quarter panel and door you can have the shop practice on. You will get dust in the interior, but you should be able to tape off the inside with plastic sheet to keep paint dust down. Ask for references.

As far as the razor blade on lacquer, slow even strokes and changing the blade often, it goes pretty smooth, no different really than using chemicals except they might use a wider blade to scrape up the gunk on the flat areas. You have a lot of curves there, it'll be mostly using a standard putty knife, which isn't that much wider than a razor blade.
As for the dry ice blasting- I'll have to see if I can even get it done around here, haven't searched but it does sound interesting. I might try the razor blade thing just to see. I know a lot do it. Dub is going to talk me through his own chemical stripping process, which I've read a little about and I know he loves.

On another note, I got some steady babysitting set up for the next month which will give me more than "stolen moments" to work, so I hope to get the quarter and lock pillar bonded in, the trailing arms sent out, and the car stripped this month before school begins. If I can get the rough bodywork done and into epoxy that would be icing on the cake. Pretty aggressive schedule though.

I've decided to go ahead and cut the quarter into sections so I can be even more careful getting heat and hands on the vertical bonding strips. I was gking to save it for a reminder on the wall, but it simply isn't expedient.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:32 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

As for the dry ice blasting- I'll have to see if I can even get it done around here, haven't searched but it does sound interesting. I might try the razor blade thing just to see. I know a lot do it. Dub is going to talk me through his own chemical stripping process, which I've read a little about and I know he loves.

On another note, I got some steady babysitting set up for the next month which will give me more than "stolen moments" to work, so I hope to get the quarter and lock pillar bonded in, the trailing arms sent out, and the car stripped this month before school begins. If I can get the rough bodywork done and into epoxy that would be icing on the cake. Pretty aggressive schedule though.

I've decided to go ahead and cut the quarter into sections so I can be even more careful getting heat and hands on the vertical bonding strips. I was gking to save it for a reminder on the wall, but it simply isn't expedient.

And did you REALLY want a reminder?? Didn't think so
Old 07-10-2015, 01:44 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Benton, sounds like you've done your homework, and if you have DUB's ear and experience, then I'm sure you know this already. So this is really for others who might not know. I remember reading (in this forum) that with chemical removal of paint, you have to be weary of the chemical's residue and effect on paint, if not entirely removed/neutralized it can interfere with the primer/paint. Not sure how long you're supposed to wait, but I remember reading about the potential problems.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I'm cautiously exploring chemicals. Dub loves them. We will see!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Benton -

Thanks for posting all of this and keeping us informed! I've learned several things already from this thread - never had heard of dry ice media blasting before, for example.

I'm sorry to hear that the job offer was misrepresented. Maybe it's the old "blessing in disguise", giving you time to make these repairs and keep your '64 instead of having to pursue a different alternative!

Glenn
Old 07-10-2015, 02:50 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Benton -

Thanks for posting all of this and keeping us informed! I've learned several things already from this thread - never had heard of dry ice media blasting before, for example.

I'm sorry to hear that the job offer was misrepresented. Maybe it's the old "blessing in disguise", giving you time to make these repairs and keep your '64 instead of having to pursue a different alternative!

Glenn
Thanks Glenn! The job thing is going to be fine in due time. My wife loves me being home and we are quite comfortable, but I miss the work interaction. That said, I do get a little refreshment right here on the forum with you men.

I'm dying to do more with the Corvette- I have a construction project 80% done upstairs. (built the kids a little house of their own in the bonus room complete with siding electric loft etc). Now I just want to do the Corvette but I have sheetrock and trim to wind up as well. If I put it entirely on hold it won't get done so I'm splitting time.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is an NOS DS rear quarter panel on eBay right now for $1,000 but he says no shipping and its out of Illinois. Something could prob be arranged though. I have no idea if that is a good price or not....just passing it along:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/corvette-nos-quarter-panel-black-glass-1963-1964-1965-1966-1967-driver-side-/111713563315?hash=item1a02a5b2b3&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-11-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:05 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for thinking of me Frankie! I did find a white glass (63, I'm not being picky about color if fiberglass in this case) repro from Bairs. I met brian on a trip up there as they're near my inlaws...he sold me a lock pillar cover for an easy price and I've gotten great service from them so far, so when he came up with the quarter I wanted to throw a little more business his way. Plus it was also a good deal. I am not certain if it's sermersheim but the thickness is awesome- it's smooth on both sides and looks like a quality piece.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Thanks for thinking of me Frankie! I did find a white glass (63, I'm not being picky about color if fiberglass in this case) repro from Bairs. I met brian on a trip up there as they're near my inlaws...he sold me a lock pillar cover for an easy price and I've gotten great service from them so far, so when he came up with the quarter I wanted to throw a little more business his way. Plus it was also a good deal. I am not certain if it's sermersheim but the thickness is awesome- it's smooth on both sides and looks like a quality piece.
Sounds like you are all set then. Shipping was prob gonna be a problem with this seller anyway
Old 07-11-2015, 11:25 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Benton, I figured your early '64 was light gray fiberglass. My build date is October 63, and the fiberglass is light gray all around. Is your white?

Get notified of new replies

To '64 Coupe rebuild

Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Benton, I figured your early '64 was light gray fiberglass. My build date is October 63, and the fiberglass is light gray all around. Is your white?
No, my dec 63 is also gray. I bought white at a good price so what the heck . I'll be blacking out the fenders.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:39 PM
johntony
Cruising

Default PeelAway

I used PeelAway 7-worked good.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Benton:
The stuff you're talking about now is beyond my pay scale, but just know that I (and many others) are rooting for you as you move through this. Looking great, pal.

Kerouac

Quick Reply: '64 Coupe rebuild