C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

where to buy brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:31 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default where to buy brake lines?

Is there any difference between the quality of the brake lines (regular, not the ss) from the different vendors (Zip, Corvette America, Paragon etc). I just installed a fuel line from Zip on my 64 and that was definitely not a perfect fit ...
Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The brake lines I get from Lone Star Corvette always fits perfect.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:16 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

I bought the set for my 67 from Stainless Tube and they were great. I bought the set for my 65 from Corvette Parts Worldwide and they were junk. Nothing fit, everything had to be re-bent and sometimes lines were just a bit too short. In the past, most of what I got from Corvette Parts Worldwide came from Corvette America and I was told that the lines came from them. I no longer buy from either of those companies because I can't count on the quality. Just my experience.

Doc
Old 07-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Our business was started by making fuel lines. The one thing that we run into allot though is that little things get changed on customer cars, and while sometime one small change is not a big deal two small changes can be. All of these lines are made for stock replacement, they do not compensate for different fuel pumps that have a location change or a different carb that has the inlet moved a little. None of these are done by hand anymore, they are all cnc benders. There are allot of lines that look really close to each other and these can get mis labeled sometimes so it is always important not only for the customer to ask but for us to check that as well. As far as brake lines are concerned, there should never be a fit issue if the correct lines are being used. Now sometimes they are a struggle to get on the car, you have to remember they were installed when there was no body or anything in the way. I just installed a set on a 73 we are restoring here, it took me an hour to get everything one and fastened with all of the correct hold downs on them. With the body on the car I probably could have spent all day. It is also patients, but there should be no big hurdles in putting any of them on.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Our business was started by making fuel lines. The one thing that we run into allot though is that little things get changed on customer cars, and while sometime one small change is not a big deal two small changes can be. All of these lines are made for stock replacement, they do not compensate for different fuel pumps that have a location change or a different carb that has the inlet moved a little. None of these are done by hand anymore, they are all cnc benders. There are allot of lines that look really close to each other and these can get mis labeled sometimes so it is always important not only for the customer to ask but for us to check that as well. As far as brake lines are concerned, there should never be a fit issue if the correct lines are being used. Now sometimes they are a struggle to get on the car, you have to remember they were installed when there was no body or anything in the way. I just installed a set on a 73 we are restoring here, it took me an hour to get everything one and fastened with all of the correct hold downs on them. With the body on the car I probably could have spent all day. It is also patients, but there should be no big hurdles in putting any of them on.
Thanks for taking time to respond to my thread. When complaining about lack of fit of the fuel line I bought as I did in my opening post, my intention was not to blame Zip more than any other vendor. I am a very satisfied customer, and Zip is by far my Nr 1 supplier for my 64 restoration. But it's a body off, so I have the luxury of easy access. And the chassis is unhid, 100% standard. Still, I could not lay out the line without hitting the frame exactly where I did not want that to happen, like where it sweeps over the frame between the first body mount and the engine mount. I don't like metal rattle, nor do I believe it's a good idea to expose the fuel line to friction or vibration. But maybe I am too 'difficult'
Anyway, since then , I have ordered for 1500$ worth of stuff from your site, and more to come ;-)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
Thanks for taking time to respond to my thread. When complaining about lack of fit of the fuel line I bought as I did in my opening post, my intention was not to blame Zip more than any other vendor. I am a very satisfied customer, and Zip is by far my Nr 1 supplier for my 64 restoration. But it's a body off, so I have the luxury of easy access. And the chassis is unhid, 100% standard. Still, I could not lay out the line without hitting the frame exactly where I did not want that to happen, like where it sweeps over the frame between the first body mount and the engine mount. I don't like metal rattle, nor do I believe it's a good idea to expose the fuel line to friction or vibration. But maybe I am too 'difficult'
Anyway, since then , I have ordered for 1500$ worth of stuff from your site, and more to come ;-)
Once you have the lines bolted down in the clips I don't think you are going to get rattles. On the car we just did they were super tight once bolted down just like the old ones were. I installed these on a bare frame as well which is about 1000% easier than with a body on the car. GM did a really good job designing this stuff and there is not much I have found that needs to be changed. There is a clip that holds the lines by the #1 body mount so the lines should be tight to the frame right there.

Get notified of new replies

To where to buy brake lines?

Quick Reply: where to buy brake lines?